• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
Very clever bowling there, totally decieved Vaughan. Look at the position Vaughan in when he hit that - he didn't expect the bounce at all.
Didn't deceive him at all, the dullard just hit it straight to short mid-wicket, that's as deep as it gets.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
If Australia do end up batting today, you might see difficulties with only four bowlers arise for England, particularly when one of those bowlers is Giles and this pitch won't be helping him for some time yet. Australia would be aiming for something like 5 wickets before tea... 5/200 or so and the chance of bowling England out for 300 becomes a realistic one.

Scaly piscine

Utterly inept, criminally useless stuff from England. This is the 5th Test they've faced Warne and they're still absolutely useless against him.

cameeel

International Captain
Wonderful ball from Warne there, plumb LBW, Bell gone for a duck

I Bell lbw b. Warne 7balls 8minutes

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Didn't deceive him at all, the dullard just hit it straight to short mid-wicket, that's as deep as it gets.
Which is why he played back and tried to flick a ball that bounced way too high for him? Higher than every other delivery he had faced? You really need to pay attention to what is going on rather than just looking to criticise England and deride the opposition's skills at every opportunity. It wasn't a good shot at all, but he played it because Warne completely beat him and he was caught trying to play an impossible shot. You can't backfoot drive a leg-spinner when the ball bounces that much without hitting it in the air.

Another one for Warne now, absolutely awesome spell on a pitch which isn't helping him at all.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Run through them like butter, Warnie! I'm feeling much better now.

Bell hasn't done a hell of a lot to justify his selection thus far, IMO.

andyc

Scaly piscine said:
Utterly inept, criminally useless stuff from England. This is the 5th Test they've faced Warne and they're still absolutely useless against him.
Most batsmen seem to be. You don't get the most wickets in the world by becoming easy to play after a while.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyone else think that Hawkeye was a bit dodgy just then? It looked on replay as though it was heading back towards middle, but Hawkeye has it turning towards leg. Oh well, hitting either way. Maybe my eyes deceiving me.

Pietersen in; get Blee on.

andyc

Slow Love™ said:
Run through them like butter, Warnie! I'm feeling much better now.

Bell hasn't done a hell of a lot to justify his selection thus far, IMO.
I agree, he should have been out for Thorpe in the first test.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
andyc said:
Most batsmen seem to be. You don't get the most wickets in the world by becoming easy to play after a while.
Not at all. If only they played like SP thinks they should play, he'd never take a thing.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, worst ball of the day there from Tait.

I don't like this field for Pietersen. He clearly has a weakness outside off, and the way to get him out is the same way Fleming jused to egt Martyn out, stack the off-side and make him play at something wide. Hopefully Ponting will get it right after lunch.

Australia's session in the end, marginally. The third wicket made the difference. Another three before tea and Australia are in the box seat to be batting tonight.

cameeel

International Captain
Adamc said:
Anyone else think that Hawkeye was a bit dodgy just then? It looked on replay as though it was heading back towards middle, but Hawkeye has it turning towards leg. Oh well, hitting either way. Maybe my eyes deceiving me.

Agreed, i thought it was knocking out the off stump, but H-eye had it on leg, and a fair bit lower than it looked to the naked eye

Scaly piscine

FaaipDeOiad said:
Which is why he played back and tried to flick a ball that bounced way too high for him? Higher than every other delivery he had faced? You really need to pay attention to what is going on rather than just looking to criticise England and deride the opposition's skills at every opportunity. It wasn't a good shot at all, but he played it because Warne completely beat him and he was caught trying to play an impossible shot. You can't backfoot drive a leg-spinner when the ball bounces that much without hitting it in the air.
You need to actually watch the game instead of going 'Warne... wicket... genius...'

The ball bounced at bail height, as you'd expect from a shortish ball on this pitch. He could have easily gotten over the ball, but he's an idiot so he just flicked it to the fielder.

Scaly piscine

andyc said:
As a batsman you should improve as you get experience against any bowler, but particularly someone like Warne when you play him like you've never held a bat in anger in your life as England did in the first Test - you'd think the only way is up from there... but obviously not.

Knopfler

School Boy/Girl Captain
Adamc said:

The accuracy of Hawkeye is a myth. Im not saying it was way off on that ball (I thought when seeing the replay that it was hitting the leg stump pretty flush), but I am sure it is often inaccurate.

With that Vaughan dismissal (I actually haven't seen it but Im going from what I have heard). An early shortish ball from Warne stayed down a lot, so it wouldn't surprise me if Vaughan wasn't playing for a lot of bounce.

Anyway, Eric Clapton has been demoted.

Warne is God.