• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Barney Rubble

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
If (God forbid) Jones The Swerve is unfit for The Oval I wonder who we'll bring in? Obviously Tremlett is next in line, but it's a huge ask of a young seamer on debut. Bringing in Collingwood would be conservative & I think the second innings here has shown that we really need a 5 man attack to bowl the Aussies out.

My shout would be a last hurrah for dear old Candy Addick. He's already bowled Oz to defeat @ The Oval (with them chasing only 124 to win!) & has once again taken bags of wickets for Somerset.

I suspect Fletcher & co will be more forward thinking than me & go for Tremlett, but I think there is a case to be made for picking a man for a specific job. Could almost be quite romantic: the old warhorse summoned to the colours for one last shot at the title. I can hear the "Rocky" theme tune in my head as I type! :D
Except unfortunately, Candy Addick is currently in the physio's room at Taunton, having buggered his knee or something, and been replaced for the last four games by 18-year-old Robert Woodman.

It's a nice thought, though.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Barney Rubble said:
Except unfortunately, Candy Addick is currently in the physio's room at Taunton, having buggered his knee or something, and been replaced for the last four games by 18-year-old Robert Woodman.

It's a nice thought, though.
Ah, ****. That is a spanner in the works of the Brumby masterplan..... :D

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Barney Rubble said:
Crushes the possibility of some truly magical sporting moments in a slash :@

Barney Rubble

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
Ah, ****. That is a spanner in the works of the Brumby masterplan..... :D
Let's not forget the fact that the Aussies who've played him before would be falling over laughing at the fact that England had recalled him to be part of the pace attack that has put the fear of God into them - he was a great bowler for England, but at his age, he's hardly something for Langer, Hayden, Ponting, Martyn and Gilchrist to be scared of given the fact that they've thrashed him around the park more than once before.

Personally, I'd go for Tremlett - promising, an unknown quantity to the Aussies, and with the Oval usually a bouncy track, it might just be his game.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Pratyush said:
Crushes the possibility of some truly magical sporting moments in a slash :@
Soory about that. Maybe we should call up Goughie instead - oh no, he's injured too.

Anyone got Corky's phone number? :D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
2. What does that second sentence mean or what is it trying to illustrate :wacko:
Just saying that the whole England side exhibit quite a bit of togetherness - and when Freddie was interviewed this evening after the game, the suggestion was made that "...(Geraint) Jones has come in for a lot of criticism over the last few days". Flintoff's reply was a very quick and very stern "Not in the dressing room he hasn't".

Majin

International Debutant
BoyBrumby said:
If (God forbid) Jones The Swerve is unfit for The Oval I wonder who we'll bring in? Obviously Tremlett is next in line, but it's a huge ask of a young seamer on debut. Bringing in Collingwood would be conservative & I think the second innings here has shown that we really need a 5 man attack to bowl the Aussies out.

My shout would be a last hurrah for dear old Candy Addick. He's already bowled Oz to defeat @ The Oval (with them chasing only 124 to win!) & has once again taken bags of wickets for Somerset.

I suspect Fletcher & co will be more forward thinking than me & go for Tremlett, but I think there is a case to be made for picking a man for a specific job. Could almost be quite romantic: the old warhorse summoned to the colours for one last shot at the title. I can hear the "Rocky" theme tune in my head as I type! :D
xD I've got that song on my playlist right now, can just see old bigears charging in to bowl as well. Shame about the injury. But yeah, we really need Jones fit for the next test, I'll admit I never used to be much of a fan, but he's proved me wrong in this series.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
Just saying that the whole England side exhibit quite a bit of togetherness - and when Freddie was interviewed this evening after the game, the suggestion was made that "...(Geraint) Jones has come in for a lot of criticism over the last few days". Flintoff's reply was a very quick and very stern "Not in the dressing room he hasn't".
It was very heartening to hear that. I've criticised Geraint Jones a lot recently, but whilst I may campaign for his being dropped from the team, as long as he is selected I will get behind him 100%. I like the guy, and it pains me to see him dropping catches and missing stumpings, so I really do hope he comes good. Partly because I don't rate Chris Read that highly, too.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
well exactly thats why i say he wont ever be dropped......

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jace11 said:
The "stumbled over the line" doesn't look too good to me. As a one-liner its pretty uninformative and doesn't reflect what actually happened. BBC, ABC etc are using lines like "England snatch epic win!" etc, recognising the fact they actually achieved something memorable here in another classic. "Stumbled over the line" sounds trite, confusing and that the match was nothing exceptional.
In defence of Sean, he calls it how he sees it. Personally, I think that it sums the end up fairly well, although from an Australian perspective he could equally have gone with "Lee and Warne Terrify England".

The biggest problem we have might well be the number of characters the headline is restricted to (but to amend that we'd need a partial re-design, I reckon).

Headlines are always so difficult - and I changed yesterday's about 3 times before I fell upon one that was sickeningly punny enough.

By all means feel free to make further suggestions, we really do appreciate it - I'm sure you'll agree it was a cracking write-up though.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
luckyeddie said:
In defence of Sean, he calls it how he sees it. Personally, I think that it sums the end up fairly well, although from an Australian perspective he could equally have gone with "Lee and Warne Terrify England".
They scared the living cr@p outta me!!! :D

Good report from young Master Faaip tho, yes.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Despite Lee and Warne, the big story was of England winning the match. So the headline should have been some thing on the lines of England a step away of reclaiming the Ashes or last Aussie flicker cant stop England.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
We are privileged to watch this magnificent series of cricket - the best I have ever seen by a long, long way.
I couldn't disgree with you less. Indefatigable.

Warne is dislodging The Little Master as my favourite cricketer ever. The Hoggard extra-cover drive just too delicious.

This series must be close to being the greatest in history, with the final chapter and epilogue still to come.

It's horrible though, really. My nerves are shot, my blood-pressure must be off the scale.

Please desist, you beastly cricketers!!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pedro Delgado said:
I couldn't disgree with you less. Indefatigable.

Warne is dislodging The Little Master as my favourite cricketer ever. The Hoggard extra-cover drive just too delicious.

This series must be close to being the greatest in history, with the final chapter and epilogue still to come.

It's horrible though, really. My nerves are shot, my blood-pressure must be off the scale.

Please desist, you beastly cricketers!!
Could be worse - you could watch The Rams too (do you?).

Warney is definitely right up there for me too (oo-er, missus), and I just love pacemen so Brett has always been in my eye-line. Looking forward to seeing Tait at a bouncy Oval too.

When the commentators were having their post-match tete-a-tete, The Rt Hon Mark Nicholas asked Richie again about the greatest-ever ashes series (a couple of days ago, he alluded to 81, Botham's Ashes, as the greatest). He's now changed his mind, and so have I.

This is a quite extraordinary contest between the irresistable force and the immovable object, and a couple of weeks ago I spoke in terms of it being like an old bare-knuckle heavyweight boxing match. The only time this Aussie side are bested is when you've actually ripped their heads off, spat down their necks and beaten their livers to death with a stick - and then they STILL won't believe you.

Top side for sheer bloody-mindedness.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
If technology can conclusively prove on aspects like inside edges, it should be included.

However inconclusive technologies should not be included.
And snicko is inconclusive, hence it can't be used.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
my side for 5th test:

langer
hussey
ponting
clarke
martyn
symonds
gilchrist
warne
lee
tait
mcgrath

hussey and symonds excel in english conditions and were our best batsmen in the one day games.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
Could be worse - you could watch The Rams too (do you?).

Warney is definitely right up there for me too (oo-er, missus), and I just love pacemen so Brett has always been in my eye-line. Looking forward to seeing Tait at a bouncy Oval too.

When the commentators were having their post-match tete-a-tete, The Rt Hon Mark Nicholas asked Richie again about the greatest-ever ashes series (a couple of days ago, he alluded to 81, Botham's Ashes, as the greatest). He's now changed his mind, and so have I.

This is a quite extraordinary contest between the irresistable force and the immovable object, and a couple of weeks ago I spoke in terms of it being like an old bare-knuckle heavyweight boxing match. The only time this Aussie side are bested is when you've actually ripped their heads off, spat down their necks and beaten their livers to death with a stick - and then they STILL won't believe you.

Top side for sheer bloody-mindedness.

Thankfully I don't have a season ticket anymore, but I used to. I even had one when we were in the old 3rd Div (where Forest are now :D ).

Agree viz Blee, great attitude and finally looking the goods in Tests.

Yes I saw the M.Benaud thing, and his opinion is good enough for me.

Still sticking with 2-2 LE?

<wanders off to Google and types in "Indian rain-dance how to">