• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Lineups for the next Test?

I think Australia are going to replace Hayden, probably with Hodge. On merit, Hussey should be the replacement, but I think they'll go for Hodge simply because he is in the squad and Hussey is not. Katich to open possibly. Assuming fitness, McGrath/Lee/Tait/Warne must be Australia's lineup. They might consider going in with five bowlers, given that it's a must-win, not sure who they could drop though.

As for England, I thought Jones did more than enough to justify being dropped despite his 85. Bell made a case for his exclusion as well, but I think they'll stick with the same XI. The psychological advantage of playing a winning XI probably outweighs the disadvantage of having an iron-gloved 'keeper, at least until the end of this series.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Slow Love™ said:
It's weird how many commentators (and forum posters) seem to be almost presuming we'll win at The Oval.

Oh well, hopefully they know something I don't know. McGrath back will be a plus, but you'd have to say England are strong favorites.
I'm waiting for someone to say "Well, despite the draw/defeat, Australia will take far more out of this game from their never-say-die performance than England" for the third time in succession.

King_Ponting

International Regular
Adamc said:

I think Australia are going to replace Hayden, probably with Hodge. On merit, Hussey should be the replacement, but I think they'll go for Hodge simply because he is in the squad and Hussey is not. Katich to open possibly. Assuming fitness, McGrath/Lee/Tait/Warne must be Australia's lineup. They might consider going in with five bowlers, given that it's a must-win, not sure who they could drop though.

As for England, I thought Jones did more than enough to justify being dropped despite his 85. Bell made a case for his exclusion as well, but I think they'll stick with the same XI. The psychological advantage of playing a winning XI probably outweighs the disadvantage of having an iron-gloved 'keeper, at least until the end of this series.
I hope jones stays the keeper for england...... We need all the help we can get :thumbsup:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Adamc said:

I think Cheaty would be the one to come in if/when Hayden is dropped.

Not sure over whether Geraint Jones is likely to be axed or not - I think maybe a 5% chance that he'll go, but given the dressing-room togetherness (and the fact that's a major plus for England) I wouldn't put it any higher than that.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
luckyeddie said:
I think Cheaty would be the one to come in if/when Hayden is dropped.

Not sure over whether Geraint Jones is likely to be axed or not - I think maybe a 5% chance that he'll go, but given the dressing-room togetherness (and the fact that's a major plus for England) I wouldn't put it any higher than that.
No way Geriant Jones will be dropped because for some reason Fletcher has unshakable faith in him that he never had in read which is a real shame. Do you know about simon jones injury? Cause if he is injured i expect they will bring in colingwood. Australia have a dilema because they need 5 bowlers probably but the batsmen arent doing enough to play just 6 of them including gilchrist as they need too win i think it is worth the risk playing macgill they could always bring Symonds but it is unlikely they will do that

King_Ponting

International Regular
Pothas said:
No way Geriant Jones will be dropped because for some reason Fletcher has unshakable faith in him that he never had in read which is a real shame. Do you know about simon jones injury? Cause if he is injured i expect they will bring in colingwood. Australia have a dilema because they need 5 bowlers probably but the batsmen arent doing enough to play just 6 of them including gilchrist as they need too win i think it is worth the risk playing macgill they could always bring Symonds but it is unlikely they will do that

Imo england should play 11 batsmen.... They only need to draw the test.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well i am very proud of the way Australia have played fought back in this test match, though this reminds me so much of Chennai 2001 when i wished Australia had 20 more runs :dry: . The Oval should be fast bouncy deck & both sides having some quick bowlers i expect a lot of bruises. But i'm backing Australia with my life to level it 2-2 or else i will go back to school a sad boy.....

Bucknor is a old mother F**ker how could he give Katich out, dumb ar*se he should follow shep & retire he has been making some shockers for the last 2 years or so....

But now with Australia needing to win the last test axing Hayden must be in the minds of the selectors they have 10 days or so to decide on either bringing in Hussey or Jaques since Australia need more solid starts for the final test

NOTE: i hope Simon Jones is unfit that will help :p

howardj

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
I'm waiting for someone to say "Well, despite the draw/defeat, Australia will take far more out of this game from their never-say-die performance than England" for the third time in succession.
Yeah ridiculous comments. Disconcertingly, they seem to be mainly coming from the Australian camp - let's hope that they don't actually believe what they are saying. I think that the close finishes have really wall-papered over the fact that England have been incredibly dominant in the last three games. But for:

- a freakish last wicket partnership at Edgbaston (where the bat was beaten many times);
- the rain at Old Trafford
- and the last session at Trent Bridge

Australia have been dominated. These three things have, arguably, been unhealthy for them, as it's allowed them to cruise along thinking that things are close and only minor improvement is needed. Rather, major improvement is needed by Australia if they are to go with England on the all-important, match-shaping Thursday and Friday.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Adamc said:

I don't think the Australian selectors are going to replace Hayden before the series ends. But kudos if they do, because I think that he must go. IMO, we need to draw this series more than we need to know for absolutely sure whether all the nails are fully imbedded in his coffin. Given Hussey's not in the squad, I would take Hodge, and it might also do us good to beef up with another right hander, given the torment the English bowlers have given to our lefties in general.

I think McGrath/Lee/Tait/Warne will be the lineup too. Kasper absolutely had to show us something this game, and though he looked occasionally dangerous, it wasn't enough, and the no-balls were very damaging. It's a pity - I still would have liked to have seen him in the lineup from the start, instead of Gillespie.

So far as England go, I still don't rate Bell much at all, and Jones is a rotten keeper, and his shot today may have been the most remembered bungle of the series had Australia somehow managed to snatch victory. I don't see either of them being dropped though, and yeah, that's one of the advantages of being in charge of a series. If we were 2-1 up, I'd probably be saying what the hell, give Haydos one more shot.

King_Ponting

International Regular
FaaipDeOiad said:
http://www.cricketweb.net/article.php?CategoryIDAuto=1&NewsIDAuto=666

Australia were starting to believe, but with 13 to win there would be no more heroics from their side, as it was time for Matthew Hoggard and Ashley Giles to stand up. Giles had looked hopeless against Warne for the whole series, but he found enough to keep out two overs, while Hoggard at the other end struck a heroic boundary off Brett Lee to finally assure England of victory. Giles scored the winning runs to end an incredible period of 32 overs in an England victory, and for the third test in a row cricket fans the world over will be searching for superlatives to describe the dizzying heights to which this series has risen, again and again.

Great article mate.. That last paragraph sums it up excellently