• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Slow Love™

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
Yes, but I mean has anyone with half a brain actually said that? I expect that kind of statement from an amoeba.
I think Deano might have. And he might have three-quarters of one.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Pothas said:
No way Geriant Jones will be dropped because for some reason Fletcher has unshakable faith in him that he never had in read which is a real shame. Do you know about simon jones injury? Cause if he is injured i expect they will bring in colingwood. Australia have a dilema because they need 5 bowlers probably but the batsmen arent doing enough to play just 6 of them including gilchrist as they need too win i think it is worth the risk playing macgill they could always bring Symonds but it is unlikely they will do that
Could be an odd situation with Australia playing five bowlers and England playing eight batsmen. Don't think it will happen though, Jones' injury doesn't sound serious enough to keep him out of the next Test, which is quite a long time away.

The five bowlers theory doesn't seem too bad, given that Australia needs to bowl England out twice, and the bowlers have been batting well anyway. It would require a batsman (other than Hayden) to be dropped though, which wouldn't really be fair. Martyn has been the least effective of them, but can point to a couple of unlucky decisions, so I very much doubt he'd go.

I think we'll just see England unchanged, and Australia with Hodge/McGrath for Hayden/Kasper. Interesting to see how England approach the next Test as well, with them only needing a draw.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
So far as England go, I still don't rate Bell much at all, and Jones is a rotten keeper
1. Na bell is good he has had a tough battle this summer & his 2 50's at OT proved to me that he coulld become Englands next ice-man ala Graham Thorpe

2. Yep Jones is a hit a miss keeper but knowing England i dont think he will ever be dropped no matter how much we argue

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Wow. What a day, what a game, what a series. Great effort from England, and Matthew Hoggard's boundary may just have been the most important thing he ever does in an England shirt.

Apparently the forecast is for storms during the Oval Test. :D

As long as they're not on Day 5 I don't mind - I'VE GOT TICKETS TO THE FINAL DAY OF THIS SERIES.

Just read it again. :D

howardj

International Coach
Is there any truth to the rumour that, given the state of the series, they are laying cement down for the final Test at the Oval. Man that will be the flatest wicket since Peshawar in 1998 where even, god bless him, Tubby Taylor managed to squeak out 334 unconquered.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Adamc said:
Could be an odd situation with Australia playing five bowlers and England playing eight batsmen. Don't think it will happen though, Jones' injury doesn't sound serious enough to keep him out of the next Test, which is quite a long time away.

The five bowlers theory doesn't seem too bad, given that Australia needs to bowl England out twice, and the bowlers have been batting well anyway. It would require a batsman (other than Hayden) to be dropped though, which wouldn't really be fair. Martyn has been the least effective of them, but can point to a couple of unlucky decisions, so I very much doubt he'd go.

I think we'll just see England unchanged, and Australia with Hodge/McGrath for Hayden/Kasper. Interesting to see how England approach the next Test as well, with them only needing a draw.
I really see no point in England trying to play for a draw. I don't actually think they've got it in them, because that would involve a change of mindset.

Positive play, please, and a double hundred from Trescothick. If it's good enough, brilliant. If it isn't, it's only cricket. ( :D )

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
Is there any truth to the rumour that, given the state of the series, they are laying cement down for the final Test at the Oval. Man that will be the flatest wicket since Peshawar in 1998 where even, god bless him, Tubby Taylor managed to squeak out 334 unconquered.
peshawar was flat but i cant be flatter than Antigua plus i doubt whether thoe Oval will be flat i expect the traditional fast & bouncy Oval deck....

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
1. Na bell is good he has had a tough battle this summer & his 2 50's at OT proved to me that he coulld become Englands next ice-man ala Graham Thorpe

2. Yep Jones is a hit a miss keeper but knowing England i dont think he will ever be dropped no matter how much we argue
Are you old enough to remember Alec Stewart when he first got into the side? He was sub-standard for sure. Apart from one or two short-term experiments, they by-and-large stuck with him. He was never great but he did improve.

I think Geraint Jones is in there for the long haul, because he's immensely popular with the other players.

(cue Monty Python sketch including the line "Right. On with the pixie hats and order in the skating vicar". Those of you who don't know what I'm on about - it's probably for the best. Those of you who do - has anyone presented him with 'special gaiters' yet? I can think of no other explanation).

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Are you old enough to remember Alec Stewart when he first got into the side? He was sub-standard for sure. Apart from one or two short-term experiments, they by-and-large stuck with him. He was never great but he did improve.

I think Geraint Jones is in there for the long haul, because he's immensely popular with the other players.

(cue Monty Python sketch including the line "Right. On with the pixie hats and order in the skating vicar". Those of you who don't know what I'm on about - it's probably for the best. Those of you who do - has anyone presented him with 'special gaiters' yet? I can think of no other explanation).
1. Well when i first started watching in 97 ashes so no i didn't know about Stewarts early days but for a period Russel was also keeping

2. What does that second sentence mean or what is it trying to illustrate :wacko:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
aussie said:
Bucknor is a old mother F**ker how could he give Katich out, dumb ar*se he should follow shep & retire he has been making some shockers for the last 2 years or so....
You've got the wrong man. It was Aleem Dar's shout. :p

Slow Love™

International Captain
aussie said:
NOTE: i hope Simon Jones is unfit that will help :p
Nobody seems to know how severe his ankle problem is, but if he should happen to miss the next test, that could be almost as much a boost to the Aussies (who desperately need one) as the return of McGrath. His injury disappearances have provided no little relief, and co-incided with some much better performances with the bat for Australia a few times now.

Slow Love™

International Captain
aussie said:
oh yeah whoever it was it was a shocker but i still maintain f**knor should retire he has lost it....
It was a real shocker. I still feel that Dar's a very good umpire though. For the most part he seems very hard to get LBW decisions from, but he's generally pretty consistent, and I find not out decisions when it's real close a lot more tolerable than the ones that are incorrectly given.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
luckyeddie said:
I have always liked Alec Stewart. But can a Jones become a Stewart? Long shot. Stewart looked a solid batsman. Jones is more on the mould of Parthiv Patel. Indians also wanted to stick with him and show more faith.

It is always a dicey decision to make in such scenarios. I saw if there is a better option in the domestic scene, go with that or hope a maturity will come in the current player with experience.

Last edited:

Jace11

Cricket Spectator
luckyeddie said:
Well done, Sean - excellent report.
The "stumbled over the line" doesn't look too good to me. As a one-liner its pretty uninformative and doesn't reflect what actually happened. BBC, ABC etc are using lines like "England snatch epic win!" etc, recognising the fact they actually achieved something memorable here in another classic. "Stumbled over the line" sounds trite, confusing and that the match was nothing exceptional.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If (God forbid) Jones The Swerve is unfit for The Oval I wonder who we'll bring in? Obviously Tremlett is next in line, but it's a huge ask of a young seamer on debut. Bringing in Collingwood would be conservative & I think the second innings here has shown that we really need a 5 man attack to bowl the Aussies out.

My shout would be a last hurrah for dear old Candy Addick. He's already bowled Oz to defeat @ The Oval (with them chasing only 124 to win!) & has once again taken bags of wickets for Somerset.

I suspect Fletcher & co will be more forward thinking than me & go for Tremlett, but I think there is a case to be made for picking a man for a specific job. Could almost be quite romantic: the old warhorse summoned to the colours for one last shot at the title. I can hear the "Rocky" theme tune in my head as I type! :D