• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
It's incredible how close these last three games have been. Three runs and three wickets is all Australia needed to have won 3-0 by now; likewise, England could've sealed the Ashes if they just picked up another wicket at OT. I'm not sure how the fifth Test will live up to expectations now, but I'm sure it will in some way or other.

Demolition Man

State Vice-Captain
Scaly piscine said:
Where have I heard that tosh before... oh yea - after the 1st Test, after the 2nd Test, after the 3rd Test and now after the 4th Test.
You heard it before the 1st test aswell, you remember that one ??

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Warne really is an amazing man and i think deserves man of the match. after that first ball just knew it was going to be a horrible evening.

Scaly piscine

Demolition Man said:
You heard it before the 1st test aswell, you remember that one ??
Nope, anyone who thinks winning 2 meaningless ODIs constitutes 'momentum' would need their head looking at anyway.

Slow Love™

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
That's it. Not a bad fightback from Australia after that disasterous day 2, but the batting crumbling in the first innings was to blame again.
The 477 their bats scored in the first innings in order to dictate terms for the match didn't help much either. In most instances, teams will struggle to win from such a position.

The results have been very close at the end, but it conceals the fact that we've been fairly dominated for much of the tests. In reality, Lee and Warne's heroics aside, we were probably pretty lucky that Jones was off the field last night and today.

I'm glad we gave it a good go today though - if anything, these close losses, though heartbreaking, have shown we're not giving up. And the Poms have occasionally looked a bit vulnerable at the closing stages.

Knopfler

School Boy/Girl Captain
Vaughan just made a good point:

this is hardly a 4th innings pitch. It really was flat and good for batting. So extra praise to Warney

Slow Love™

International Captain
It's weird how many commentators (and forum posters) seem to be almost presuming we'll win at The Oval.

Oh well, hopefully they know something I don't know. McGrath back will be a plus, but you'd have to say England are strong favorites.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
First things first. Congrats to England on the victory. Well played and they have showed without a shadow of a doubt what a quality side they are.

Second thing.

The series is not over. Whether England claim back the Ashes or not, no one will deny what a quality side they are. However, to gain appreciation as the best side in the world, a distinct possibility England face, the road is still a long one.

Firstly they have to win back the Ashes. A draw series will mean they would have to wait till the next Ashes in Australia to hope to get the title of the best side in the world. If they do get back the Ashes, they then have to have draws/victories in India and Pakistan. After that there is a fair possibility they will be called the best side in the world.

Exciting times ahead for world cricket.

social

Knopfler said:
Vaughan just made a good point:

this is hardly a 4th innings pitch. It really was flat and good for batting. So extra praise to Warney
And less praise for Eng's capitulation (joke ok)

Aus are in desperate need of McGrath - series would be all over by now if he was playing.

Scaly piscine

social said:
And less praise for Eng's capitulation (joke ok)

Aus are in desperate need of McGrath - series would be all over by now if he was playing.
If the taff hadn't got cramp the series would be all over by now.