• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
i dont know why Clarke bats like this, he looks so good then suddenly he plays a wild shot like that, it really isn't good for my heart :dry:
Gets to 25 or 30 and seems to always start playing "get out" shots but thank god for Geraint

If Eng had a keeper, Ashes would be gone in this match.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
social said:
Unless you're injured and/or have a justifiable reason, you're not.

Laws specifically prohibit change of clothing, etc

In other words , you need a bloody good reason.

Unfortunately, it's rarely been enforced in the history of cricket so Eng are smart in taking advantage of it.

Anyway, it's only an issue because Martyn decided to call for a run that was never on.
What went on before is completely irrelevant.

In this instance, at the time that Ponting was run out and moaning about it, the substitute fielder was on the field in place of Jones, who has subsequently been taken to hospital.

Incidentally, Hoggard is injured too but is still on the field.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
A few breaks going Australia's way now. A couple of mistakes from Geraint, and Jones and Hoggard both appear to be struggling.

Hopefully Australia can make it to stumps without losing a wicket, then apply themselves tomorrow and bat until tea or so.

cricketboy29

International Regular
end of days play, ,methinks jones not being there, will be a big blow to englands chances of getting them out quickly. Did you see how simon jones got clark out at edgbaston? reverse swinging good length delivery, bowled clark all ends up

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well they have made it to stumps Pup, Katich,Gilly, Warne & Lee have to put together at least 200 runs tomoro if Australia are going to have any chance of winning this match...

social

Could be worse (breaks went Aus way in that innings) but if not for Martyn's brain explosions, we could just have been looking in trouble not in dire straits.

Hopefully Clarke will settle down onight as end came just in time.

social

luckyeddie said:
What went on before is completely irrelevant.

In this instance, at the time that Ponting was run out and moaning about it, the substitute fielder was on the field in place of Jones, who has subsequently been taken to hospital.

Incidentally, Hoggard is injured too but is still on the field.
I agree with you - no point in moaning when it's justified (like in this case) and, in other instances, it's happened all summer and you know the umps wont do anything about it.

BTW, do you think Hoggard's presence had anything to do with appearance of 4th umpire at last drinks break? Would not be surprised if he had a quiet word with his cohorts.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
social said:
I agree with you - no point in moaning when it's justified (like in this case) and, in other instances, it's happened all summer and you know the umps wont do anything about it.

BTW, do you think Hoggard's presence had anything to do with appearance of 4th umpire at last drinks break? Would not be surprised if he had a quiet word with his cohorts.
I'm sure you're right.

I reckon the cortisone injections will be out tonight.

Incidentally, the weather forecast now looks reasonable for Monday so perhaps, with the benefit of hindsight, England should have been looking to bat again and set 600.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Majin said:
Jones is lucky he scored 85, very lucky. >=\
So, what's his average for the series? About 30 maybe? His misses at OT went a long way to helping Aus save that one and he may well have set them up to win this one. That's quite a price to pay for the extra 15 or so on average he manages with the bat.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
I'm sure you're right.

I reckon the cortisone injections will be out tonight.

Incidentally, the weather forecast now looks reasonable for Monday so perhaps, with the benefit of hindsight, England should have been looking to bat again and set 600.
Well, you can't really say Vaughan was wrong, but with the forecast looking decent and 8 sessions left in the match, I definately would have batted again. The chance of Australia making a big score now and setting England a tricky total are simply much bigger than Australia bowling England out for 200 and then chasing 450+ to win the game. Even if they had bowled England out for 100 without McGrath on a flat pitch, they would have had a tough chase.

Either way obviously England should certainly win, but if Australia have two excellent sessions tomorrow and Clarke or Gilchrist really get going, anything can happen. With the series on the line I wouldn't have wanted to bet against that if I were in Vaughan's position.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
wpdavid said:
So, what's his average for the series? About 30 maybe? His misses at OT went a long way to helping Aus save that one and he may well have set them up to win this one. That's quite a price to pay for the extra 15 or so on average he manages with the bat.
You cannot quote averages in the context of specifics - clearly what you are saying has some validity but only to a point.

The likelihood is that if he hadn't stayed with Flintoff on day 2, it wouldn't have cost England 15 - more like 150. That's how valuable that innings was - England added 209 in the time when he was at the wicket. Flintoff himself said last night how valuable that knock was in the context of the match, and how much he enjoys batting with Jones (it means that Freddie doesn't have to make all the running).

I doubt that missing Clarke will prove very expensive - after all, he's tried so hard to throw it away about 5 times already that I'm pretty sure he will succeed early tomorrow.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
howardj said:
Quality piece.

Good stuff.
Cheers, mate.

A pal of mine is out today at the footy, and he won't get to see the highlights (The Rams are away at Burnley). He likes the fact that I give him 2500 words to plough through when he gets home - gives him chance for a quiet beer.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
King_Ponting said:
good article imo, however a more catchier headline would have separated it from being simply good to excellent..
Well, I was thinkng of

Ashes to Ashes

and having the sub-line

Dust to Dust
If Hoggard don't get you
Simon Jones must

but Hoggard didn't take any wickets.

Let me think about it - I'm not satisfied either.

Here you go then....

England 'Urn' Right to Box Seat

I'm destined for a career with The Sun - I can tell.

Last edited:

King_Ponting

International Regular
luckyeddie said:
Well, I was thinkng of

Ashes to Ashes

and having the sub-line

Dust to Dust
If Hoggard don't get you
Simon Jones must

but Hoggard didn't take any wickets.

Let me think about it - I'm not satisfied either.

Here you go then....

England 'Urn' Right to Box Seat

I'm destined for a career with The Sun - I can tell.
Much much better. Excellent article.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
You cannot quote averages in the context of specifics - clearly what you are saying has some validity but only to a point.

The likelihood is that if he hadn't stayed with Flintoff on day 2, it wouldn't have cost England 15 - more like 150. That's how valuable that innings was - England added 209 in the time when he was at the wicket. Flintoff himself said last night how valuable that knock was in the context of the match, and how much he enjoys batting with Jones (it means that Freddie doesn't have to make all the running).

I doubt that missing Clarke will prove very expensive - after all, he's tried so hard to throw it away about 5 times already that I'm pretty sure he will succeed early tomorrow.
I wish I shared your confidence about Clarke! Hopefully you're right & I'm wrong about that one.

As for Jones the Drop, yes, I take your point about Friday's innings, and I know that Fred & he bat well together, but his overall batting performance is not special, and he is regularly missing crucial chances. And who's to say that Foster, Batty or whoever wouldn't have scored those runs anyway? There seems to be an unquestioning acceptance that Jones will score more runs than any other English keeper we care to name, which I just don't buy.

greg

International Debutant
wpdavid said:
I wish I shared your confidence about Clarke! Hopefully you're right & I'm wrong about that one.

As for Jones the Drop, yes, I take your point about Friday's innings, and I know that Fred & he bat well together, but his overall batting performance is not special, and he is regularly missing crucial chances. And who's to say that Foster, Batty or whoever wouldn't have scored those runs anyway? There seems to be an unquestioning acceptance that Jones will score more runs than any other English keeper we care to name, which I just don't buy.
And whose to say that Jones will miss more chances than any other English keeper we care to name?