• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
age_master said:
my brother said last night that Australia should play 5 bowlers for the 5th test - cause they are more likley to score runs than the batsmen
:laugh::laugh:

Lee and Warne to open, McGrath at first drop

andyc

Okay guys, hypothetically here, what score would Australia need to be competitve?

I would say at least a 200 lead, which from here, looks pretty unlikely.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
andyc said:
Okay guys, hypothetically here, what score would Australia need to be competitve?

Anything over 150 would make it awkward for England, but you would still expect them to win fairly comfortably. A few early wickets might send a few shudders through them, though...

But the pitch itself doesn't seem to be deteriorating that quickly. A few staying low, but you can probably adjust and cover it better, because the slow nature of the pitch lets you come forward more often than normal.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
andyc said:

Yeah, 200 plus excellent bowling and it's game on. The real key when defending a small score is a good start with the ball. Let say Australia make 200 today and England are chasing 170 odd, it will look like a simple total, but not if they're suddenly at 3/20. Really, Australia need a Botham/Laxman and a Willis/Harbhajan. Someone to make a big score straight away today and ensure Australia bats for as long as possible, and the other to produce the devastating fourth innings spell to end it. At least we can take heart from the fact that Warne and McGrath are the best fourth innings bowlers in history by such a huge margin, with Warne having 110 wickets there while the best non-Australian in Walsh has 66. :p

andyc

FaaipDeOiad said:
Yeah, 200 plus excellent bowling and it's game on. The real key when defending a small score is a good start with the ball. Let say Australia make 200 today and England are chasing 170 odd, it will look like a simple total, but not if they're suddenly at 3/20. Really, Australia need a Botham/Laxman and a Willis/Harbhajan. Someone to make a big score straight away today and ensure Australia bats for as long as possible, and the other to produce the devastating fourth innings spell to end it. At least we can take heart from the fact that Warne and McGrath are the best fourth innings bowlers in history by such a huge margin, with Warne having 110 wickets there while the best non-Australian in Walsh has 66. :p
Good point. Once Australia start bowling, Warne is the key. Tait too, possibly.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Well...

damn.

That run-out hurt, and Martyn`s shot was lame. I think we`ll have big problems defending any target really.

Jdz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I still believe Australia have a pretty good chance of hitting 200 more runs. Just got to hope Katich and Clarke can add on about 100+ runs and then if Warne can get 50+ runs and say Lee can make 30+ runs, it'd be a good decent score.

Australia just need to slow the game down, like it's been said. :cool:

tassietiger

U19 Debutant
Jdz said:
I still believe Australia have a pretty good chance of hitting 200 more runs. Just got to hope Katich and Clarke can add on about 100+ runs and then if Warne can get 50+ runs and say Lee can make 30+ runs, it'd be a good decent score.

Australia just need to slow the game down, like it's been said. :cool:
And on top of that, Gilchrist could have a trundle with the bat too!

I'll put it down as an oversight, can't see a WA boy not backing Gilly's chances.

King_Ponting

International Regular
gilchrist should just go all out and try and be aggresive as possible..... He tried to defend the ball in the first innings and guess what he proceeded to edge it to 4th slip.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I really hope McGrath plays in the fifth. I`m seeing a pattern.

1st Test - McGrath plays - England don`t win
2nd Test - doesn`t play - England win
3rd Test - McGrath plays - England don`t win
4th Test - doesn`t play - ???

andyc

Nnanden said:
I really hope McGrath plays in the fifth. I`m seeing a pattern.

1st Test - McGrath plays - England don`t win
2nd Test - doesn`t play - England win
3rd Test - McGrath plays - England don`t win
4th Test - doesn`t play - ???
Yeah. And hopefully he'll be fully fit, not just fit enough to play like he was in the 3rd test.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
King_Ponting said:
gilchrist should just go all out and try and be aggresive as possible..... He tried to defend the ball in the first innings and guess what he proceeded to edge it to 4th slip.
He should try and see off Flintoff and take on the other bowlers. I can't see guys like Harmison and Giles holding much fear for him.

King_Ponting

International Regular
FaaipDeOiad said:
He should try and see off Flintoff and take on the other bowlers. I can't see guys like Harmison and Giles holding much fear for him.
But didnt he try to do that in the first innings..... and proceeded to edge it to 4th slip.......