• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
TREVOR PENNEY FOR ENGLAND!

an old school legend...
I'd have loved it if he'd taken a catch, or even better, nabbed a lightning-quick run out. One of the best fielders in history, even at the age of 56 or however old he is.

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
Apart from the first test, ENG has outplayed AUS in bowling, batting and fielding. Most letdown for AUS might be the bowling, they seem to bowling all over the place. Only person playing well in all departments for AUS is doughboy, and only he is a possible miracle hope for AUS to spin them to victory. But I don't really see ENG dropping ball.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
maxpower said:
Apart from the first test, ENG has outplayed AUS in bowling, batting and fielding. Most letdown for AUS might be the bowling, they seem to bowling all over the place. Only person playing well in all departments for AUS is doughboy, and only he is a possible miracle hope for AUS to spin them to victory. But I don't really see ENG dropping ball.
Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have found the new Bob. :D

Welcome to the forum maxpower, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
greg said:
And whose to say that Jones will miss more chances than any other English keeper we care to name?
Well, I'm struggling to think of one who has missed as many as he has for England ...

Based on your logic, if I understand you correctly, he can keep dropping or missing them till Kingdom come because another keeper might miss even more? You might as well keep a batsman averaging 20 because another one might average only 15. Or keep a bowler averaging 40 because his replacement mught average 50. Etc, etc ...

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
Barney Rubble said:
Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have found the new Bob. :D

Welcome to the forum maxpower, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Sure my post is not as clever as referring "trouble" as barney rubble, but see I am just in shock right now seeing ENG actually do good in Ashes.

Majin

International Debutant
wpdavid said:
So, what's his average for the series? About 30 maybe? His misses at OT went a long way to helping Aus save that one and he may well have set them up to win this one. That's quite a price to pay for the extra 15 or so on average he manages with the bat.
Unfortunately i'm not a selector because 85 or no 85 i'd have Read in for him anyway, I would have before the series started. I think i'm not alone in thinking he's the best gloveman england have, and he's not doing bad this season either, averaging 46, with one ton and four fifties.

greg

International Debutant
Majin said:
Unfortunately i'm not a selector because 85 or no 85 i'd have Read in for him anyway, I would have before the series started. I think i'm not alone in thinking he's the best gloveman england have, and he's not doing bad this season either, averaging 46, with one ton and four fifties.
Well he does have Trent Bridge as his home ground... :D

Barney Rubble

International Coach
maxpower said:
Sure my post is not as clever as referring "trouble" as barney rubble, but see I am just in shock right now seeing ENG actually do good in Ashes.
Easy mate, I'm just having a laugh.

And my username doesn't mean that - I don't speak ****ney rhyming slang.

I was sincere when I said welcome to the forums, it's always good to see new members. And most of us are just as surprised at this summer's cricket as you are! :D

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
seriously, i think Read would have trouble averaging double figures against the Aussies

13 innings at an average of 11.18 with one score over 20, there has to be a pay off sometime, its not even the average itself because you have to think of what the guy at the other end is scoring at the same time

Craig

World Traveller
FaaipDeOiad said:
Phil Jaques offering a timely reminder with 172 against Durham. And, just quietly, 92 to Mike Hussey in the same game. Regardless of the outcome, there's a chance of sorts that Hayden will be dropped before the next test. I don't think it will happen just yet, but it's possible, and even if it doesn't he won't last long if he doesn't make runs very soon.
If he gets axed can we presume that is it for his Test career?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Craig said:
At his age I would have thought so. Australia seem to have quite a few live alternatives on the batting front, so I think the younger guys would need to fail pretty consistently for the selectors to go back to Hayden.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
At his age I would have thought so. Australia seem to have quite a few live alternatives on the batting front, so I think the younger guys would need to fail pretty consistently for the selectors to go back to Hayden.
thats right, which shouldn't happen but has it stands the Oval could be Hayden's last test

BoyBrumby

Englishman
aussie said:
thats right, which shouldn't happen but has it stands the Oval could be Hayden's last test
If Oz go to The Oval 2-1 down & needing a win to retain The Ashes I think there's a pretty good case to be made for Trent Bridge being Hayden's last test! Not only has he not made runs, he hasn't looked like making them either. Martyn (one innings in the first test aside) hasn't put runs on the board either, but he's got a couple of dire decisions & has looked in decent nick when at the crease.

Sticking with Hayden seems like loyalty above & beyond the call of duty to me! Although as a Pom I hope the selectors retain their faith in the big fella! :p

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Sticking with Hayden seems like loyalty above & beyond the call of duty to me! Although as a Pom I hope the selectors retain their faith in the big fella! :p
of course u would but for me its a shame to see Hayden like this, he had 19 centuries in 3 years now looks whats happening :mellow:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
my brother said last night that Australia should play 5 bowlers for the 5th test - cause they are more likley to score runs than the batsmen

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:

well considering how long it takes for someone to get dropped from the aussie team probably, but runs for QLD could make it interesting i spose

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
age_master said:
well considering how long it takes for someone to get dropped from the aussie team probably, but runs for QLD could make it interesting i spose
I guess it depends whether the selectors feel this is just a form slump or he just doesnt have it anymore.

With Gillespie you just feel he doesnt have it anymore. Try as he might he's body isnt up to it. Hayden just looks horribly out of form combined with England finding him out abit (well alot) with their field placings which are totally messing with Haydens mind as to what shots to play and not play.