• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

PY

International Coach
Anyone watching The Armed Forces Ashes programme on Channel 4?

What a great idea. :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Swervy said:
it is exactly that which annoys me about this place...somebody scoring a matching winning hundred is dissed because they got dropped once...somebody 5 years ago struggled to take any wickets in a series and they are dismissed as a poor bowler..a ball that spins 3 feet and bowls out on of the leading openers in the world is merely an average ball..jeez, even when hayden scores 380, people have a go.

People seem to judge todays cricket by comparing it to highly edited highlight film of tests from years ago. Not all cricket is played at a high level ball after ball, you watch highlights and you watch the good bits generally. Players have always got out to bad shots, its not a new phenomenon...ocassionally we see truely great pieces of cricket..why cant people just enjoy them, instead of ripping them to shreds.

Some people completely miss the point about this game
What are you talikng about, it was against Zimbabwe for heaven's sake! Everyone knows tests against Zimbabwe don't count towards first-chance averages..... :D

Seriously tho, spot on. I watch the game 'cos I enjoy it. When Warney came on last night you could almost feel the frisson through the telly &, fair play to the fella, he delivered. My heart sunk as an Englishman, but as a cricket fan it's moments like that that jusitfy my love.

PY

International Coach
The Aussies slaughtered the English. :D

20 over slog. Australia got 230-odd I think and England got 120-odd. The victory margin was 118 runs.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
vic_orthdox said:
You know what? I can't restrain my hate for Brett Lee anymore. I've never seen someone with less "ticker" play for Australia, ever. He'll injure his "heart-ledge" by the end of the tour 8-). And let's not get started on his complete lack of cricketing brain...

QUOTE]

Vic, you're being grossly unfair to Lee here.

IMO, there is absolutely no question mark against his heart, ticker, guts, commitment, etc.

You simply do not come back from 2 career threatening injuries, unfavourable press, unjust selections, etc to rightfully regain a place in the best side in the world if that is the case.

The only question is whether he has the necessary bowling skills and/or tactical nous to back up his undoubted pace.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Monty said:
lol but i think they should swap him for joyce
Throwing Joyce in at the deep end at this point in time is no good. He might play 3 Tests, crash and burn like Bell (which is the most likely turn of events) and then have mental scars for ever.

Stick to Bell out the series and hope that he learns from the experience, I say.

Mister Wright

social said:
vic_orthdox said:
You know what? I can't restrain my hate for Brett Lee anymore. I've never seen someone with less "ticker" play for Australia, ever. He'll injure his "heart-ledge" by the end of the tour 8-). And let's not get started on his complete lack of cricketing brain...

QUOTE]

Vic, you're being grossly unfair to Lee here.

IMO, there is absolutely no question mark against his heart, ticker, guts, commitment, etc.

You simply do not come back from 2 career threatening injuries, unfavourable press, unjust selections, etc to rightfully regain a place in the best side in the world if that is the case.

The only question is whether he has the necessary bowling skills and/or tactical nous to back up his undoubted pace.
Please explain how he rightfully regained his place in the side?

Monty

U19 Cricketer
PY said:
The Aussies slaughtered the English. :D

20 over slog. Australia got 230-odd I think and England got 120-odd. The victory margin was 118 runs.
awesome thanks mate

twctopcat

International Regular
Samuel_Vimes said:
That settles it. He's been put in the English team by someone down under who wants us to lose.
But then again one of our players is born on christmas day so we have the best of both worlds. :D

shaka

International Regular
Its not Lee fault that in the first day's play, the pitch was doing nothing to help Lee, but bowling two similar bouncers against Freddy was not the smartest idea.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
vic_orthdox said:
Oh, and the first hour tomorrow - massive call, I know - could well decide the series. If England slam on the runs and put themselves in a pretty insurmountable position (1/100), then their positiveness will be carried through the remaining three Tests and they can challenge.
Well I can assure you that won't happen (unless Hoggard retires hurt!)

social

Mister Wright said:
social said:
Please explain how he rightfully regained his place in the side?
Did everything asked of him whilst the competitors for his spot performed poorly.

I know that offends you mate Kaspa, but unfortunately it's true.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
honestbharani said:
lol, it was just funny how a lot of people (not just here, in some other forums too, mainly Englishmen) were saying that he should be a certainty and that KP and Thorpe should be fighting it out.
Actually I was saying Bell and Thorpe should've been picked.

But I'm happy for Pietersen to prove me wrong.

The fact is Bell couldn't be dropped after Bangladesh, and he was the right pick for those 2 games ahead of Pietersen because of form.

It is also the case that Bell has got 3 dismissals that in all honesty he couldn't do a great deal about.

social

shaka said:
Its not Lee fault that in the first day's play, the pitch was doing nothing to help Lee, but bowling two similar bouncers against Freddy was not the smartest idea.
That's why there is a question as to his tactical nous.

Flintoff has a weakness against the short ball but on such a slow pitch with such a tiny outfield, he would have been better bowling length at off stump (Flintoff's other weakness) and using the bouncer intermittently.

Similarly with Tresco. Every pace bowler in the world knows that he has a weakness against length balls on middle and off but is strong against wide stuff. He should have cut his pace slightly and cramped him for room.

Elementary from here, maybe not in Brett Lee's mind.

Swervy

International Captain
social said:
That's why there is a question as to his tactical nous.

Flintoff has a weakness against the short ball but on such a slow pitch with such a tiny outfield, he would have been better bowling length at off stump (Flintoff's other weakness) and using the bouncer intermittently.

Similarly with Tresco. Every pace bowler in the world knows that he has a weakness against length balls on middle and off but is strong against wide stuff. He should have cut his pace slightly and cramped him for room.

Elementary from here, maybe not in Brett Lee's mind.
does Flintoff have a weakness vs the short ball????

He real weakness is the just outside off stump leaving him slightly..he is one hell of a puller(if not in the same way as Vaughan or Ponting..he has his own style of pull) and a pretty good hooker of the ball