• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Swervy

International Captain
Shane Warne said:
8-)
How generous of you to say so.

I only have him down as the best Victorian leg spinner since 2004 with the middle name Keith.
actually I have him down as only the third best in that category :p

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
cricket player said:
When you are facing Warne you know the ball will turn

Why would you expose your stumps to some like Warne

It wasnt all that good off a ball

I hope Strauss knows what kind of a spinner he is facing.
Hello, Bob. Have they let you out again?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just watching the Ch 4 highlights - finally saw the Hawkeye of the Jason Gillespie LBW (showed once, no comment by anyone).

Just shows you how difficult a job the umpires have, and how deceptive it can be when a ball is swinging.

So - how far past leg stump was the ball?

An inch? Nope.

Three inches? Nope.

SIX inches? Nope.

It would have HIT leg stump.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
luckyeddie said:
I can play the 'let's assume' game too.

Let's assume the umpire gave it not out.
Fine - now let's assume that Simon Jones produced precisely the same delivery next up that he actually did.
Gone next ball - no contest.
Now lets look at the striking in line without pitching point...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
Strauss's delivery was nowhere near unplayable, personally I think Cricinfo have gone way overboard with their 'Warne wonder-ball' line. It simply spun a lot, which is what you'd expect from Warne on that pitch (even Giles was spinning it considerably at times) - it didn't draw him into a shot or anything, simply spun a lot and Strauss inexplicably couldn't cover his stumps with two pads - it was similar on a scale of poor dismissals to being bowled behind the legs as far as I'm concerned.
It was a superb ball and Strauss covered the stumps based on what was expected.

It turned far more than anything previously and thus beat the pads.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
If it was so good why don't we see Warne simply bowling 3-4 feet wide of the stumps onto the rough all day every game getting ten wickets for no run (against left and right handers)? Because it shouldn't get anyone out as they can pad it away safely.
But left handers cannot just pad it away.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
cricket player said:
Langer wasnt out either

ball was hitting the leg stump and the fact that the ball hit his back leg the umpire gave him out.
Way to contradict yourself there Bob.

It wasn't out, but it was hitting the stumps...

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:

Great ball but very poor shot.

Given that the first ball that Warne bowled turned square, you had to play at that delivery.

He should have thrust his pad at the ball with bat behind it - no umpire is going to give you out when the ball pitches that wide and it still has a distance to travel.

Unfortunately, he went across the crease and basically opened up his stumps.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Is it all right to describe him as "Vodaphone Man" or "Shane's Mum's Chemist's Best Customer"?
:laugh: nope just call him the ``The Greatest leg-spinner ever`` :D

social

BTW, Warne's over put Gile's and the toss into perspective.

Giles caused some problems with his accuracy and change of pace but mostly from landing in footholes (in fact, with the odd exception, he hardly turned against right-handers). He also bowled a lot of poor deliveries but, in the main, was well protected by Vaughan's defensive field placings.

Message to Ricky: Firstly, wickets are great but some restrictions on scoring opportunities would be nice. Secondly, there's a reason why the highest ever winning fourth innings score at Edgbaston is 211 8-)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Did you watch any of yesterday's play?
yes i see what your saying, but the turn warne is getting now is much more extravagant than on day 1, that why i think other than KP the rest of the england batting line-up might play him defensively.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
cricket player said:
Langer wasnt out either

ball was hitting the leg stump and the fact that the ball hit his back leg the umpire gave him out.
come on Langer was out, even i can admit that :happy:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:

exactly i dont know what all the ranting & raving is about Strauss dismissal.... :wacko:

social

aussie said:
yes i see what your saying, but the turn warne is getting now is much more extravagant than on day 1, that why i think other than KP the rest of the england batting line-up might play him defensively.
Play him defensively and you wont survive.

If the turn he got in that one over is anything to go by, eventually you'll get a great delivery and a low score if youre not playing shots.

Remember, runs are more important to England than time - there are 3 days left after all - and you wont get runs if you allow Warne to dictate terms.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
social said:
Play him defensively and you wont survive.

If the turn he got in that one over is anything to go by, eventually you'll get a great delivery and a low score if youre not playing shots.
we are supporting Australia mate :p , we need the english batsmen to play him defensively since he's the man who can get Australia back into the match....