• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
we are supporting Australia mate :p , we need the english batsmen to play him defensively since he's the man who can get Australia back into the match....
Ooh sorry.

What a fiendish plan.

Hope the English team dont read this website.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Too many soft dismissals for the Aussies today. Hayden, Ponting and Martyn and Warne, all very soft. If I was Ponting (and had I NOT gotten out softly myself!) I would have been waiting at the top of the stairs for Marto with a bat in hand for the way he got run-out right on lunch. It also looks as if Hoggard is going to trouble Hayden all series; he's worth keeping in the side for that alone.

And great stuff by Ash Giles. Excellent bowling. Hopefully his critics will realise what a valuable member of the team he is now and leave him alone. Yes he has some help with footmarks but even when not hitting them, he wasn't often far away from a wicket. Harmi bowled better than his figures suggested and Simon Jones with the old ball was world-class. Just good bowling all-round from an English side which I think is continuing to surprise the Aussies (why they don't finally accept that England are going to challenge them this time and play accordingly I'll never know).

Ponting was looking good for 150+ before his pretty awful shot to get out. Langer also looked a good and although his LBW might have been doubtful, it would have been awfully difficult to give not-out, really. Marto and Clarke also looked in great touch with some spanking shots but again, got out just when the momentum was swinging the Aussies' way (good ball from Ash Giles, though). Katich got the second-best ball of the day so he can't really be blamed for that and Gilchrist, in my opinion, left his 'go for the boundary' run a bit late. He was banking on the tail to stick with him and I think that was folly. Speaking of which, why is Brett Lee coming in ahead of Gillespie!??!

Warnie owes Australia 5 wickets tomorrow. Simple as that. Yes he's a tail-ender but his shot gave England confidence more than just getting his wicket and allowed them to clean-up the rest of the tail. He's also giving further fuel to people (like me, or instance) who believe his two county tons this year mean nothing overall.

Australia needs to bowl England out for less than 150 or they will lose this match heavily. Even then, chasing more than 250 is going to be very difficult. If I had to nominate a key player for the 4th innings, I'd say Matt Hayden. He'll be quite embarrassed by his dismissal and I've seen him bat well on wearing wickets on a few occasions so if he gets a start, who knows? He's certainly due because he owes runs to the Aussie team.

social

Top_Cat said:
Too many soft dismissals for the Aussies today. Hayden, Ponting and Martyn and Warne, all very soft. If I was Ponting (and had I NOT gotten out softly myself!) I would have been waiting at the top of the stairs for Marto with a bat in hand for the way he got run-out right on lunch. It also looks as if Hoggard is going to trouble Hayden all series; he's worth keeping in the side for that alone.

And great stuff by Ash Giles. Excellent bowling. Hopefully his critics will realise what a valuable member of the team he is now and leave him alone. Yes he has some help with footmarks but even when not hitting them, he wasn't often far away from a wicket. Harmi bowled better than his figures suggested and Simon Jones with the old ball was world-class. Just good bowling all-round from an English side which I think is continuing to surprise the Aussies (why they don't finally accept that England are going to challenge them this time and play accordingly I'll never know).

Ponting was looking good for 150+ before his pretty awful shot to get out. Langer also looked a good and although his LBW might have been doubtful, it would have been awfully difficult to give not-out, really. Marto and Clarke also looked in great touch with some spanking shots but again, got out just when the momentum was swinging the Aussies' way (good ball from Ash Giles, though). Katich got the second-best ball of the day so he can't really be blamed for that and Gilchrist, in my opinion, left his 'go for the boundary' run a bit late. He was banking on the tail to stick with him and I think that was folly. Speaking of which, why is Brett Lee coming in ahead of Gillespie!??!

Warnie owes Australia 5 wickets tomorrow. Simple as that. Yes he's a tail-ender but his shot gave England confidence more than just getting his wicket and allowed them to clean-up the rest of the tail. He's also giving further fuel to people (like me, or instance) who believe his two county tons this year mean nothing overall.

Australia needs to bowl England out for less than 150 or they will lose this match heavily. Even then, chasing more than 250 is going to be very difficult. If I had to nominate a key player for the 4th innings, I'd say Matt Hayden. He'll be quite embarrassed by his dismissal and I've seen him bat well on wearing wickets on a few occasions so if he gets a start, who knows? He's certainly due because he owes runs to the Aussie team.
Spot on analysis.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:

1. Couldn't agree more top_cat Ponting & Martyn threw away oppurtunities for two big scores, especially Ponting he was looking like a million bucks before he got out :dry:

2. Definatley Hayden is worrying me its now 25 innings without a century & its not like he's been out of form he just finding all these ways to get out, very frustrating....

3. I dont know why Warne has been batting like this in this series, its the most brainless i have ever seen him bat in his career, that shot in those circumstances was just sooooooo stupid.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
England well on top. The bowlers really need to dismiss England for less than 200, MAYBE 250. The lower the better I guess.

Let`s just hope, that in batting and bowling, Australia have learnt from their mistakes.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Top_Cat said:
Speaking of which, why is Brett Lee coming in ahead of Gillespie!??!
You know what? I can't restrain my hate for Brett Lee anymore. I've never seen someone with less "ticker" play for Australia, ever. He'll injure his "heart-ledge" by the end of the tour 8-). And let's not get started on his complete lack of cricketing brain...

Kudos goes to England. Their attitude - and cricketing smarts - has far outshined Australia. Still not convinced that, despite all their talk, the Australians enjoy being challenged. The most worrying thing for Aus is that, as Barney Rubble mentioned earlier, Simon Jones is due for a big haul sooner rather than later the way he is bowling.

Oh, and the first hour tomorrow - massive call, I know - could well decide the series. If England slam on the runs and put themselves in a pretty insurmountable position (1/100), then their positiveness will be carried through the remaining three Tests and they can challenge. If Aus take some poles, though, and put themselves in a position to win, then you'd expect it to continue to plant seeds of doubt.

For England to win the Ashes, they need to win this match convincingly from here.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
marc71178 said:
I don't think anyone's made him out to be the next Tendulkar, but to be fair, the ball yesterday was a beauty, and Lords he got one that kept a bit low and the only Warne ball that didn't turn all game.
lol, it was just funny how a lot of people (not just here, in some other forums too, mainly Englishmen) were saying that he should be a certainty and that KP and Thorpe should be fighting it out. I think they are missing Thorpe. I am not sure who he should have been in for, seeing that you guys see a lot more of English cricket than I do.

Craig

World Traveller
Can we please have a team that will play proper Test cricket and bat a full day back at 3 an over and get around 270 and somebody to get 100? We have three day's left and England are already batting - min. 270 overs left so there is heaps of time left.

I'm kidding actually it is great to see this in Test cricket.

I'm also banking a big score by Bell - he needs one merely for his confidence and to ease an thoughts by the England selectors to consider replacing him with Collingwood (I'm not saying they or they have said they are I'm just saying it might be somewhere in their thoughts), he has been a bit unlucky thus far and now he needs to cash in and show his obvious class.

And for Giles wicket against Ponting I couldn't help thinking it was a case of 'up yours' to his critics and it proved too me how much England are a team.

Craig

World Traveller
aussie said:
1. Couldn't agree more top_cat Ponting & Martyn threw away oppurtunities for two big scores, especially Ponting he was looking like a million bucks before he got out :dry:

2. Definatley Hayden is worrying me its now 25 innings without a century & its not like he's been out of form he just finding all these ways to get out, very frustrating....

3. I dont know why Warne has been batting like this in this series, its the most brainless i have ever seen him bat in his career, that shot in those circumstances was just sooooooo stupid.
Brain and Warne don't always goes in hand. When he is bowling well - then yes.

Mister Wright

vic_orthdox said:
You know what? I can't restrain my hate for Brett Lee anymore. I've never seen someone with less "ticker" play for Australia, ever. He'll injure his "heart-ledge" by the end of the tour 8-). And let's not get started on his complete lack of cricketing brain...

Kudos goes to England. Their attitude - and cricketing smarts - has far outshined Australia. Still not convinced that, despite all their talk, the Australians enjoy being challenged. The most worrying thing for Aus is that, as Barney Rubble mentioned earlier, Simon Jones is due for a big haul sooner rather than later the way he is bowling.

Oh, and the first hour tomorrow - massive call, I know - could well decide the series. If England slam on the runs and put themselves in a pretty insurmountable position (1/100), then their positiveness will be carried through the remaining three Tests and they can challenge. If Aus take some poles, though, and put themselves in a position to win, then you'd expect it to continue to plant seeds of doubt.

For England to win the Ashes, they need to win this match convincingly from here.
Yeah, I think Lee can be grateful that McGrath will likely be out for the rest of the series.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
vic_orthdox said:

Small point, but 100/1 with Hoggy @ the crease is a very big shout! If we are even I'll be in pipe & slippers mode! :D

It all depends on Warne & how we play him I think. Kasper bowled pretty well first up & I like his line to left handers a lot, I think Tres's wicket was reward for him maintaining that line (although it was a pretty duff shot in truth) but I'm less concerned about him to right handers. Gillespie is bowling very averagely, slightly quicker than of late but hardly any movement & BLee is happily in spray mode.

England should win from here, but if the positions were reversed Australia would.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
exactly i dont know what all the ranting & raving is about Strauss dismissal.... :wacko:
It's a case of perspective.

Certain people on this board (no names but you know who they are) seem to take delight in making English players out to be bad rather than Australian players to be good.

I guess giving credit to someone is against their nature. Comes with the 21st century, I suppose.

greg

International Debutant
I think Warne is being sledged out beautifully. Look at how he was looking around at all the England close fielders after his dismissal as if trying to identify who it was who made the wicket taking comment.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
greg said:
I think Warne is being sledged out beautifully. Look at how he was looking around at all the England close fielders after his dismissal as if trying to identify who it was who made the wicket taking comment.
Someone made a sound like a mobile phone.

I bet Warney has that damned frog as a ringtone.

Swervy

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
It's a case of perspective.

Certain people on this board (no names but you know who they are) seem to take delight in making English players out to be bad rather than Australian players to be good.

I guess giving credit to someone is against their nature. Comes with the 21st century, I suppose.
it is exactly that which annoys me about this place...somebody scoring a matching winning hundred is dissed because they got dropped once...somebody 5 years ago struggled to take any wickets in a series and they are dismissed as a poor bowler..a ball that spins 3 feet and bowls out on of the leading openers in the world is merely an average ball..jeez, even when hayden scores 380, people have a go.

People seem to judge todays cricket by comparing it to highly edited highlight film of tests from years ago. Not all cricket is played at a high level ball after ball, you watch highlights and you watch the good bits generally. Players have always got out to bad shots, its not a new phenomenon...ocassionally we see truely great pieces of cricket..why cant people just enjoy them, instead of ripping them to shreds.

Some people completely miss the point about this game

PY

International Coach
Swervy said:
it is exactly that which annoys me about this place...somebody scoring a matching winning hundred is dissed because they got dropped once...somebody 5 years ago struggled to take any wickets in a series and they are dismissed as a poor bowler..a ball that spins 3 feet and bowls out on of the leading openers in the world is merely an average ball..jeez, even when hayden scores 380, people have a go.

People seem to judge todays cricket by comparing it to highly edited highlight film of tests from years ago. Not all cricket is played at a high level ball after ball, you watch highlights and you watch the good bits generally. Players have always got out to bad shots, its not a new phenomenon...ocassionally we see truely great pieces of cricket..why cant people just enjoy them, instead of ripping them to shreds.

Some people completely miss the point about this game
*claps*

I agree, I was gobsmacked at it. It was a masterclass and I think that's how I'll leave it in my memory.

Not been looking forward to a day of cricket this much in ages and it's the day I go on holiday for a week. :mad:

Mister Wright

PY said:
*claps*

I agree, I was gobsmacked at it. It was a masterclass and I think that's how I'll leave it in my memory.

Not been looking forward to a day of cricket this much in ages and it's the day I go on holiday for a week. :mad:
Yeah, I agree one of the best posts ever in my time on these forums.