• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

cricket player

International Debutant
When you are facing Warne you know the ball will turn

Why would you expose your stumps to some like Warne

It wasnt all that good off a ball

I hope Strauss knows what kind of a spinner he is facing.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
cricket player said:

thats the problem there bob, Strauss thought Warne was an off spinner :p

Swervy

International Captain
cricket player said:

if he hadnt exposed his stumps, the ball would have hit his pad..he would have been out LBW...

It was one hell of a ball..have you actually seen it

cricket player

International Debutant
superkingdave said:
thats the problem there bob, Strauss thought Warne was an off spinner :p
That is what I am saying,

Strauss he exposed his leg stump like the ball wont even turn I assume.

I dont think it was all that good off a ball

Even mushtaq Ahmad would have gotten him bowled if strauss would have done the same thing facing him,

cricket player

International Debutant
Swervy said:
if he hadnt exposed his stumps, the ball would have hit his pad..he would have been out LBW...

It was one hell of a ball..have you actually seen it
Yeah I saw the match live,

He could have played a forward deffensive shot.

Maybe then if he would have missed and the ball hit is pad there would have been an element of a doubt in the umpires mind.

Swervy

International Captain
cricket player said:
Yeah I saw the match live,

He could have played a forward deffensive shot.

Maybe then if he would have missed and the ball hit is pad there would have been an element of a doubt in the umpires mind.
Forward Defensive shot...with half of Australia crowded around the bat, last over of the day..risky business that...infact the way that turned if he had have played a defensive shot, he would have missed and the ball would have hit the stumps anyway, as the ball wasnt quite at a length to cover the ball with a defensive shot

Swervy

International Captain
cricket player said:
That is what I am saying,

Strauss he exposed his leg stump like the ball wont even turn I assume.

I dont think it was all that good off a ball

Even mushtaq Ahmad would have gotten him bowled if strauss would have done the same thing facing him,

no because Mushy wouldnt have turned the ball that much.

You say he should have played a defensive shot..well that would still have left his leg stump exposed

PY

International Coach
Only thing I wondered about was whether he might have gone back but hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it.

Swervy

International Captain
PY said:
Only thing I wondered about was whether he might have gone back but hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it.
chances are he would have missed the ball and been utterly plumb

The more i think about that ball, the more unplayable it gets. :D

cricket player

International Debutant
Swervy said:
no because Mushy wouldnt have turned the ball that much.

You say he should have played a defensive shot..well that would still have left his leg stump exposed
So you mean the delievery was unplayable?

So you tell me if you were facing Shane warne and the same delievery was bowled to you what would you do?

I would play it forwad deffence it is much better then exposing my leg stump to some one like warne as a left hander.

greg

International Debutant
You do know that playing a forward defence isn't a guarantee that the ball will obligingly hit the bat/pad? (which as has been pointed out is problematic enough considering the men around the bat) The ball wasn't full enough to cover everything so your method would be unlikely to be successful unless you predicted the amount of spin (so is benefitting a great deal from hindsight)

cricket player

International Debutant
greg said:
You do know that playing a forward defence isn't a guarantee that the ball will obligingly hit the bat/pad? (which as has been pointed out is problematic enough considering the men around the bat) The ball wasn't full enough to cover everything so your method would be unlikely to be successful unless you predicted the amount of spin (so is benefitting a great deal from hindsight)
Coming down the track would have been a nice idea,
Anyways it was a good ball though I agree with that,but Strauss made it look ball of the centurie :p

Swervy

International Captain
cricket player said:
So you mean the delievery was unplayable?

So you tell me if you were facing Shane warne and the same delievery was bowled to you what would you do?

I would play it forwad deffence it is much better then exposing my leg stump to some one like warne as a left hander.
you are saying that with the benefit of hindsight..Strauss had to make a decision pretty quick vs the best legspinner since WW2 who was in the process of bowling a ball that altered its course by maybe a yard in the space of 4 or 5 yards...thats big big (and fast ) turn....

what would I do?..well with hindsight on my side, I would have run down the pitch and hit the ball on the full for 6..however I am no-where near the player that strauss is.

I was infact dismissed last week to a big spinning chinaman bowler coming around the wicket (I am righthanded,which makes my dismissal a mirror image). As he bowled the ball,I knew I had to get to the ball..it pitched maybe 18 inches outside my off stump,and the amount of turn completely diddled me..my feet wouldnt move and I was out plumb first ball for a duck.Would I have played the ball like that again if i had my chance again...well no, but batsmen dont have that luxury....and in that situation I made my choice ..Strauss made his choice in the moment and he got bowled..but I think 9 out of ten decent players would have been dismissed by that ball in that situation to be honest

Swervy

International Captain
cricket player said:
Coming down the track would have been a nice idea,
Anyways it was a good ball though I agree with that,but Strauss made it look ball of the centurie :p
the last over of the day..not a smart move

greg

International Debutant
I was infact dismissed last week to a big spinning chinaman bowler coming around the wicket (I am righthanded,which makes my dismissal a mirror image). As he bowled the ball,I knew I had to get to the ball..it pitched maybe 18 inches outside my off stump,and the amount of turn completely diddled me..my feet wouldnt move and I was out plumb first ball for a duck.Would I have played the ball like that again if i had my chance again...well no, but batsmen dont have that luxury....and in that situation I made my choice
I can't relate to the experience of facing a ball like that. I have great understanding for the way Warne got out against Giles though 8-)

cricket player

International Debutant
That is the problem Swervy,

You are under so much pressure when you are out in the middle I feel sorry for strauss he didnt even notice what happend and kept looking at Warne,

He must be thinking "Warne I will get you next time around"

cricket player

International Debutant
greg said:
I can't relate to the experience of facing a ball like that. I have great understanding for the way Warne got out against Giles though 8-)
After That Dismmisal in a interview Robin Jackman called warne

"A naughty boy" :)

that was horrible shot.

Swervy

International Captain
cricket player said:
That is the problem Swervy,

You are under so much pressure when you are out in the middle I feel sorry for strauss he didnt even notice what happend and kept looking at Warne,

He must be thinking "Warne I will get you next time around"
well yeah..the pressure of facing Warne last over of the day,with nothing to gain from it apart from an early walk to the pavilion must be huge..it would have been a reason why Warne put so much rip into it,because he would have known Strauss was under that pressure..clever bowling