• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Shane Warne said:
Before you all get too carried away, I noticed that the boundaries were barely off the square.
Funny how the TV commentators were talking about how much bigger a ground it is than Lords...

I believe they showed it's about 65-70m

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
plenty of people actually, especially the ones that said that he along with bracken, bichel, macgill etc, form the 2nd best bowling attack in the world.
well those who said that know themselves.

tooextracool

International Coach
PY said:
IMO we need to up the bar and I don't want to rain on the parade because I'm an eternal optimist when it comes to England and loved it when they were smacking the ball about. But I don't think the players will be internally happy with 3 people getting 50s with no centuries and being bowled out on a road inside 80 overs no matter what the score.
indeed, 407 is barely par, and the only positive england can take is that australia will have to bat last on this pitch, and towards the end of the day warne was starting to turn it a fair bit.
the top 7 really batted poorly IMO, 293/6 is just disgraceful on that wicket, and only the tailenders and KP managed to salvage something.its one thing being aggresive and taking the attack to the australians(particularly warne) which im all for, its another to be over attacking and trying to slog every delivery. not one short ball was ducked under, which is just suicide with 2 fielders on the boundary.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Funny how the TV commentators were talking about how much bigger a ground it is than Lords...

I believe they showed it's about 65-70m
yea 60 straight & 70 to the sides....

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
No it's not.

Although in part I blame Ponting - why on Earth he kept him on when he was being hammered before tea I'll never know.
Whatever the reason for it is, if you write off Lee for going for 111 off 17 on a wicket that didn't suit him, you also have to write off Harmison for his various phases of being smashed everywhere and barely landing it on the strip, Warne for getting absolutely pulverised on his tour of India in 1998 (I don't recall his figured in the tour match against Mumbai, but I think he got taken for about a dozen an over), Tait for his horrible stint at Durham, etc etc. The fact is that he bowled very poorly today and didn't deal with the conditions... you can't conclude from this that he's incapable of being an effective test bowler, any more than you can with the other examples.

edit: haha, I just went and looked up the Mumbia game. Mumbia made 400 odd in 80 overs, Tendulkar 204 off 192 balls, and Warne's figures? 0/111! Off 16 overs.

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Shane Warne said:
Whenever Flintoff gets a decent score he ALWAYS gets luck.
Yes, even when he scores 167 with seven sixes, 14 fours and only three quarter-chances.

You really don't know the first thing about any English cricketer do you? Ah well, if they're not Australian, they couldn't possibly be any good, could they?

tooextracool

International Coach
aussie said:
I dont think it was has worse has hussain at the Gabba even though he lost McGrath, maybe the overcast conditions may have influenced him a bit but in Brisbane it was a hot sunny day on a equally flat pitch, that made Nasser's decision to bowl 1st super brainless.....
except for the fact that it wasnt hot & sunny at the toss. it was overcast, and given how much caddick and hoggard rely on swing, it wasnt the worst of decisions IMO. unfortunately for him, the sun came out 10 minutes later.

Barney Rubble said:
Yes, even when he scores 167 with seven sixes, 14 fours and only three quarter-chances.
OK so he has managed one good innings in his career. Whoopy-do. 8-)

Ah well, if they're not Australian, they couldn't possibly be any good, could they?
Probably not.

Although Chris Schofield is an exception to the rule.

Swervy

International Captain
Game even for mine at the mo.

Australia put England in...England score 407..Ponting wouldnt have happy with that surely.
Until we see how the pitch (and Australia ) play tomorrow, we have no way of knowing if 407 is a good score or not. My feeling is that it might turn out to be a fairly good score.The wicket is slow,and so sometimes that can be fairly tough to bat on.

The forecast isnt brilliant for tomorrow, but i have heard that it will be ok this weekend.

I have a feeling that this pitch is going to start getting lower and lower and maybe become unpredictabe (the talk of the dints in the pitch is ominous for the third and fourth innings).

Its no good critising Englands batting until we see that innings in the context of Australias batting...407 is a fairly good score..and if England are going to win the series , they need to be scoring quick to bowl Australia out twice....England now have time on the clock AND runs on the board...

You Poms, dont be so negative about everything..407 after day one..think about it
Some of us Aussies(SW)..lets stop being up our arses,and give credit where credit is due.

tooextracool

International Coach
Shane Warne said:
Nowhere close.

You sound very wise after the event, but fact is no one really knew what the pitch would do, and it was a cloudy, overcast morning.

Most of the comment before the test were talking about how the pitch was prepared in odd circumstances and predicting whoever won the toss would probably bowl.
which is why botham said it was a flat batting deck at the pitch report and said that the team winning the toss should bat isnt it?
not to mention the fact that vaughan would have batted first had he won the toss.

Shane Warne said:
You also speak too soon, considering for all you know Australia might go on to get 500+
and whether or not they do, it doesnt change the fact that it was a very poor decision to bowl first ITFP.

Swervy

International Captain
Shane Warne said:
Thanks. That explains how Peitersen got all those flukey sixes off miss hits at Lords.
I am glad I can sense your tongue firmly in your cheek..otherwise I would think you are a complete cricketing no-brain

tooextracool

International Coach
aussie said:
Well thats what you think, but i think its time for Hayden to get a hundred its a placid pitch & he hasn't got one in 24 innings so if their is any batsman in this series that DUE its him.
yep and these are the sort of pitches hes been scoring runs on all his career :D