• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
aussie said:
well i dont think thats accurate because Nicholas didn't mention anything like that during the end of day discussion....
I caught the last few overs (from 388 - all out) after work & Nicholas (or it might've been Jones) said McGrath has ligament damage. Reckon that's him out of a least the next test & maybe the series.

Which is frankly the best thing that could've happened as far as this being a competitive series goes. :happy:

Seriously tho, 407 is a decent-ish score, but I can't help feeling maybe 50-60 below par. We had chances (at 160-1 & 290-4) for something a little more substantial, but no-one could go on for the really big ton that would've needed.

Ponting for a ton & wickets for Hoggard tomorrow. You heard it here first! :p

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Yes, which is how he calmly played out the over before tea without any worries.
too bad he only did it for that one over of his entire inning then. absolute joke of an inning IMO, he didnt deserve to get more than single digits, even if the FC theory actually states otherwise. blindly slogging nearly every delivery that was bowled to him is just plain stupid, and he was not the only english player guilty of that today.

tooextracool

International Coach
greg said:
He got away with ONE hook shot (off what was a very good bouncer). The rest have all gone for six.
top edged sixes, hook shots falling in front of the fielders, slower deliveries nearly hit straight to cover, just atrocious stuff. iyou dont get too much more luck than that, and he was lucky that the pitch was flat enough for him to get away with it most of the time.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
I caught the last few overs (from 388 - all out) after work & Nicholas (or it might've been Jones) said McGrath has ligament damage. Reckon that's him out of a least the next test & maybe the series.

Ponting for a ton & wickets for Hoggard tomorrow. You heard it here first! :p
I heard that but they didn't say whether he is certainly out of the test match which would be unfair for me not to get to see Pigeon in whites... :D

Well thats what you think, but i think its time for Hayden to get a hundred its a placid pitch & he hasn't got one in 24 innings so if their is any batsman in this series that DUE its him.

tooextracool

International Coach
Shane Warne said:
I mainly see Gilchrist keep more of his shots on the ground on the average knock than I have seen from Flintoff in this knock.

key thing here is ' average gilchrist knock'. i've seen some innings from gilchrist which are just as poor, even the one in the WC final was ludicrous given the situation.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
Grrr, weather saves Australia from facing an awkward 6 or so overs.
It also saved England from conceding 30 or 40 for no wicket and definitively losing the upper hand.

Would be nice for the weather to stay a bit like this all night IMO - bit overcast tomorrow would be nice.

tooextracool said:
top edged sixes, hook shots falling in front of the fielders, slower deliveries nearly hit straight to cover, just atrocious stuff. iyou dont get too much more luck than that, and he was lucky that the pitch was flat enough for him to get away with it most of the time.
Pretty much, yeah.

What with Richards post earlier, it seems the knowledge on this board isn't as bad as I first thought.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
key thing here is ' average gilchrist knock'. i've seen some innings from gilchrist which are just as poor, even the one in the WC final was ludicrous given the situation.
yea you can add Mumbai last year, a couple of innings in the ODI in WI in 2003 to the WC final has well.....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
As far as no good bowler going for 111 from 17 overs is concerned,
No it's not.

Although in part I blame Ponting - why on Earth he kept him on when he was being hammered before tea I'll never know.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Shane Warne said:
I ask because I remember an English batsman was in the first test too.

Compounded by the fact that Flintoff then went on to be allowed a wicket off a no ball.
Yes, so how come you didn't whinge about both decisions in the First game then?

How come you concentrated on 1 of them only?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
well i dont think thats accurate because Nicholas didn't mention anything like that during the end of day discussion....
Talksport don't have the rights to cover the Tests, so are reporting news.

I've read reports that this type of injury can be 6 or more weeks out - so to expect him to play next week is asking a lot.

tooextracool

International Coach
aussie said:
2. Who makes Lee out to be such a good test bowler, all i would say is that he is improving.
plenty of people actually, especially the ones that said that he along with bracken, bichel, macgill etc, form the 2nd best bowling attack in the world.

marc71178 said:
Yes, so how come you didn't whinge about both decisions in the First game then?

How come you concentrated on 1 of them only?
Australia didn't get any decisions in their favor in the first game, and I whinged about every one they had wrongly given against them, so I'm not sure what you mean.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Talksport don't have the rights to cover the Tests, so are reporting news.

I've read reports that this type of injury can be 6 or more weeks out - so to expect him to play next week is asking a lot.
well maybe but it wont be the shame sitting in the old pavillion at Old Trafford and not seeing McGrath coming in to bowl from either the Statham or Stretford end, he hasn't played a test here since that memorable one in 97 so i have reason to be disappointed if he doesn't play :dry: