• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

marc71178 said:
What the heck does how many runs have to do with how he's bowled?
Because the original comment was as to whether he would receieve as much stick as Giles did.

One of the main criticisms of Giles was like England had ten men because he didn't threaten with the ball and his batting had been worked out. Thus he contributed nothing of note in the match.

That's what.

PY said:
Well with that closing out the day I reckon the Aussies have it 55-45 in their favour unless the pitch changes loads.
I wouldn't say so, England have the runs on the board.

I'd say it was 55-45 in Englands favor.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
For a start the conditions thing is irrelevant.

Regardless of conditions, no bowler who is as good as people make out should go for 111 from 17 overs.

I notice there weren't too many people going on about the conditions in the First Test.
Err, what? Everyone was talking about the conditions in the first test, because the conditions were relevant. Mind you, I don't think they helped Lee in particular as he didn't get many to stay low and got no swing, but whatever help he did get from them was discussed in depth. The fact is, conditions are not irrelevant. Lee's style of bowling isn't suited by the pitch today... he should have dealt with that much better than he did, but that doesn't alter the fact that he's not going to bowl on wickets where he can't get the ball above stump height very often, and I don't think this performance means any more about his ability at test level than his last one.

As far as no good bowler going for 111 from 17 overs is concerned, well that's just ridiculous. Plenty of good bowlers have had poor days where they get smashed around, including many of those you like and defend, like Harmison and Giles. Warne too, has had some horror days in the past (1998 vs Mumbai anyone?), and is still an all time great.

Suffice to say, Lee bowled poorly today, particularly in the morning, and struggled to deal with the unhelpful conditions.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Suffice to say, Lee bowled poorly today, particularly in the morning, and struggled to deal with the unhelpful conditions.
yep this statement about sums Lee performace today pretty well....

tooextracool

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
Harmison is a seam bowler, who ironically usually ends up bowling better on slower pitches because he doesn't bother so much with the short stuff. He'll be very threatening on any seaming pitch.
oh yes, harmison doesnt bother with the short stuff 8-)

PY

International Coach
Pedro Delgado said:
Even day? Punter would've hoped for less than 300 at least after sending us in. No, England are way ahead on that score. Should've scored at a faster rate though :D
I think we need to capitalise on these mistakes more than 100 runs if we want to win this Ashes.

IMO we need to up the bar and I don't want to rain on the parade because I'm an eternal optimist when it comes to England and loved it when they were smacking the ball about. But I don't think the players will be internally happy with 3 people getting 50s with no centuries and being bowled out on a road inside 80 overs no matter what the score.

tooextracool

International Coach
Pedro Delgado said:
Here's me thinking these are ideal conditions for swing/seam; damp pitch (it is damp, they did a "plug" test and it's wet through) overcast and warm. This is why scientists dismiss swing theories. Most odd.
it wasnt overcast and warm though, it was overcast and chilly.

tooextracool said:
trescothick was caught of a no ball.
In this test or the last?

I ask because I remember an English batsman was in the first test too.

Compounded by the fact that Flintoff then went on to be allowed a wicket off a no ball.

tooextracool

International Coach
_Ed_ said:
Despite Australia having a pretty bad session, it has to be said that Trescothick has played some really awesome shots.
and he was most certainly helped by lee who served up the biggest load of tripe possible. almost every ball he bowled all day was either short or a half volley.