• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Samuel_Vimes said:
Um, if England had scored at 2.5 an over, and made 500, they'd have used nearly seven sessions. That would leave eight sessions for Australia to be bowled out twice, not to mention that England would have had to bat between those, and that weather would permit play for those eight sessions.

The way England's batted has probably been a bit stupid - particularly Vaughan - but it's increased the chances of a result in this match. Plus, England tried defensive cricket at Lord's, and it went t*ts-up. A 5-day match that goes to a draw with seven wickets in hand for one team is possibly the worst advertisement for cricket that there can be.
4 of the top 7 were out off defensive shots anyway, I don't think Vaughan and Strauss got out to overattacking particularly (although it's obviously a factor in some way, kinda like speed would be factor in a fatal car crash, but not necessarily the cause), more poor shot selection/execution.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Good job by Jones and Hoggard. Australia would have felt that they were home when Pietersen got out, but they've pushed on to 400 odd, frustrated the Australians and delayed the end of the innings quite well. Certainly par from England, this. Sets it up for a fascinating match.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
Oh come on, what excuses? Everybody has said that a) he has bowled poorly, and that b) the conditions haven't suited his style of bowling and he's struggled to deal with it. Where are the excuses, and what do you disagree with?
For a start the conditions thing is irrelevant.

Regardless of conditions, no bowler who is as good as people make out should go for 111 from 17 overs.

I notice there weren't too many people going on about the conditions in the First Test.

PY

International Coach
This is soooo important for England IMO, gone past 400 and it's just sticking it into the Aussie face for a bit longer.

Hoggard playing a cut shot? Oh dear...:D

Slow Love™

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Certainly with the Wall at the other end - he could have batted more sensibly.
Looks like they're got there anyway, now - which I find pretty disappointing. When Pietersen went, I was thinking things would be wrapped up for under 365 or so.

It's a good score - while Australia might be relieved given England's fast start (and during the partnership between Flintoff and Pietersen), it's a pretty disappointing day when you've sent the opposition in.

PY

International Coach
PY said:
This is soooo important for England IMO, gone past 400 and it's just sticking it into the Aussie face for a bit longer.
The England tail came up with 74 runs, that is more than impressive.

Come on England, get a wicket in these 6 overs. Would make it an even day in my opinion.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
For a start the conditions thing is irrelevant.

Regardless of conditions, no bowler who is as good as people make out should go for 111 from 17 overs.

I notice there weren't too many people going on about the conditions in the First Test.
1. Why???

2. Who makes Lee out to be such a good test bowler, all i would say is that he is improving.

3. Because it suited him, i guess... :mellow:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Ok Hayden hasn't gotten a hundred in 24 innings now, it think he's due :happy: , plus he wont get a better pitch do break his cnetury drought.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
PY said:
The England tail came up with 74 runs, that is more than impressive.

Come on England, get a wicket in these 6 overs. Would make it an even day in my opinion.
Even day? Punter would've hoped for less than 300 at least after sending us in. No, England are way ahead on that score. Should've scored at a faster rate though :D

PY

International Coach
Well with that closing out the day I reckon the Aussies have it 55-45 in their favour unless the pitch changes loads.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
aussie said:
Ok Hayden hasn't gotten a hundred in 24 innings now, it think he's due :happy: , plus he wont get a better pitch do break his cnetury drought.
The least favourite of the Aussie batsmen for me, but yes you may be right.

PY

International Coach
You don't reckon our guys found it easy enough to score at five an over that the Aussies won't score at 4 an over and go for 500+? And IMO they are more than capable of doing so bearing in mind that the pitch isn't bouncing and our two main strike bowlers (Freddie and GBH) are bounce bowlers.