• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
One swing too many for Pietersen, and Lee gets one. Not a particularly special ball, but a good catch.

You'd think that should end the chance of a 400+ score, but England have probably hit par now. Australia will need to bat very well to get much of a lead, and England have the runs on the board and can put pressure on if they bowl well.

Certainly, it looks like a result match right now, with 350 odd runs and 8 wickets done already with a while left in day 1.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Another innings that turns out to be not much more than a cameo, I thought the guy had more brains than Flintoff to be going for 6 or out routine when there were 3 wickets left.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Pietersen gone! England very unlikely to top 400 now. Regardless of the odd chance he's offered, he's really challenged Australia, and so far, is in front. He's a beautiful striker of the ball.

I guess once again though, people might be wondering if he could have been a little more careful and nursed them past the 400 mark.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Well done KP, once again undone by some awful batting around him. 400 looking distant, my word we'll have to bowl like champions to stay in this match. Entertaining days cricket but.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Interesting play by England.. They've come out like scaredy cats and tried to cover up their flaws by going hell for leather.. So they can't post a matchwinning total on an absolute belter, and of course, they have given Australia lots more time to bat.. I'm not a fan of this "lets score as quickly as we can cricket", but if it puts bums on seats...

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
yeah Warne has every right to feel completely p*ssed off, they both looked plumb, Giles looked uncomfortable anyway.

Well interesting day, got to the pub for an hour before tea just after Vaughan had gone, had a great hour there. Left at tea to get the train home, got home 6 down :(

Got to be dissapointed if you're England, there is some uneveness in the pitch and Australia are batting last, but i just dont think we've batted long enough for it to count.

Scaly piscine

Pedro Delgado said:
The thing that depresses me most is the way we have thrown wickets away, Aus don't deserve to be in this position.
Yea, can't help liking it when Harmy pulls a 94mph ball through mid-on tho.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Scaly piscine said:
Yea, can't help liking it when Harmy pulls a 94mph ball through mid-on tho.
:D

But if he can do it, feck knows what the Aussies will make of it. Real magic spell needed by someone tonight or early doors tomorrow.

Scaly piscine

Pedro Delgado said:
:D

But if he can do it, feck knows what the Aussies will make of it. Real magic spell needed by someone tonight or early doors tomorrow.
I seem to remember him doing something similar in the last Test England won in Australia, maybe not as straight as that pull shot. Think there were something like 3 400ish scores in that game, before Australia were bowled out for under 300 in the last innings.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Langeveldt said:
Interesting play by England.. They've come out like scaredy cats and tried to cover up their flaws by going hell for leather.. So they can't post a matchwinning total on an absolute belter, and of course, they have given Australia lots more time to bat.. I'm not a fan of this "lets score as quickly as we can cricket", but if it puts bums on seats...
Um, if England had scored at 2.5 an over, and made 500, they'd have used nearly seven sessions. That would leave eight sessions for Australia to be bowled out twice, not to mention that England would have had to bat between those, and that weather would permit play for those eight sessions.

The way England's batted has probably been a bit stupid - particularly Vaughan - but it's increased the chances of a result in this match. Plus, England tried defensive cricket at Lord's, and it went t*ts-up. A 5-day match that goes to a draw with seven wickets in hand for one team is possibly the worst advertisement for cricket that there can be.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
aussie said:
Lee's bowling performace today brings back so much memories of his bowling performace in 2001 :sleep:
The only time I've seen him bowl splendidly in Tests' was at Lord's just, looking like the pitch had more to do with it rather than himself. He should stick to ODI's, Kasper looked far more threatening today. Maybe Tait could be the great white hope for you lot.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Shane Warne said:
Depends how his figures end up by the end of the match and whether he can get any runs.
17-1-111-1 (aided by 2 or 3 cheap overs at the tail) - yet the excuses continued...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
The only time I've seen him bowl splendidly in Tests' was at Lord's just, looking like the pitch had more to do with it rather than himself. He should stick to ODI's, Kasper looked far more threatening today. Maybe Tait could be the great white hope for you lot.
well he has had other good days in test cricket, his debut vs IND, Perth vs WI 2000, Antigua vs WI 2003 are others that come to mind. But i wont write him off has yet he showed at Lord's that he can do it at test level....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Shane Warne said:
Finally, the most over rated cricketer in the world has used up his 9 lives.

Now let's see how many wickets he can get with no balls, when he bowls.
You really are a very gracious person when things aren't going Australia's way.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
17-1-111-1 (aided by 2 or 3 cheap overs at the tail) - yet the excuses continued...
Oh come on, what excuses? Everybody has said that a) he has bowled poorly, and that b) the conditions haven't suited his style of bowling and he's struggled to deal with it. Where are the excuses, and what do you disagree with?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Slow Love™ said:
I guess once again though, people might be wondering if he could have been a little more careful and nursed them past the 400 mark.
Certainly with the Wall at the other end - he could have batted more sensibly.