• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Flat feet from Flintoff after the break, big wicket for Australia, seamed away a little too. Nice ball from Gillespie to become the 5th Australian to get 250 wickets.

Finally, the most over rated cricketer in the world has used up his 9 lives.

Now let's see how many wickets he can get with no balls, when he bowls.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Pedro Delgado said:
Quite right too. As an Englishman I quite enjoyed Clarke's effort at Lord's, and I always like watching Symonds bat. Why so sheepish? Do you think the Aussie Police are gonna come and get you for being objective? :)
Something like that. Its a bit taboo...

That said, though, I think my bias is returning to its natural state after that wicket... YES DIZZ!!!!

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
Obviously you always need a bit of luck to score at a run a ball against good bowling with a defensive test field, but that doesn't alter the fact that the way Flintoff played today was really nothing like Gilchrist usually plays. A stock Gilchrist shot is a drive or a cut along the ground through the gap, not a massive slog to cow corner or a hook shot for 6 with his eyes shut. Regardless of how fast he scores, he's not a hit and hope slogger, simple as that. Neither is Flintoff at his best against pace bowling, but today quite a lot of the time he was exactly that.
The stock Gilchrist shot is a slash at a widish ball, that's just as hit and miss in nature as Flintoff's hook shot (percentages aside).

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
The stock Gilchrist shot is a slash at a widish ball, that's just as hit and miss in nature as Flintoff's hook shot (percentages aside).
That's fairly true in ODIs, where you will notice Gilchrist is far less consistent and has a Flintoffesque average. In tests he's a very different player, takes time to get himself in, and tends to leave those sorts of balls rather than go hard at them. That's not to say he doesn't flash hard outside off sometimes in tests, but he does it far less often and tends to choose his deliveries more wisely. If he ever manages to survive Flintoff in this series he'll probably show it.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Linda said:
Something like that. Its a bit taboo...

That said, though, I think my bias is returning to its natural state after that wicket... YES DIZZ!!!!
I know, it's difficult. If I was Aussie/Irish/Scots/Indian/French.... the list is endless, I'd probably hate us too.

Thankfully I'm none of the above, huzzah!

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Gillespie is actually getting a bit of seam movement and even bounce now... quite odd. That ball Jones just swung at and missed outside off moved a few inches away from him, and bounced above stump height. Certainly good signs.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Big trouble for England now. Under 400 isn't a great score on this wicket at all, and without a huge effort from Pietersen and the tail that's where they are heading. Interesting to see how long it takes for Lee to come on and have a go at Giles. I'd think Ponting would have to stay with the wicket takers, but he went straight to Lee during the second innings at Lords.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Pedro Delgado said:
I know, it's difficult. If I was Aussie/Irish/Scots/Indian/French.... the list is endless, I'd probably hate us too.

Thankfully I'm none of the above, huzzah!
Haha, I like that. Realism.

Jones, HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA.

Slow Love™

International Captain
It'd be really cool if all that good work from England could come undone here. Yet to pass 300, and six down. Good fightback from Gillespie and Kasper.

KP as defiant as ever though.