• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Trescothick 77* at lunch, new highest score against the Aussies. Run rate for the session of 4.89!

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Lee back to his usual self; what he'd give for a white cricket ball in Test matches.

Well done England, very positive stuff from ball one and Tres is in bullying form.
Poor show Australia, awful insertion from Punter and some wayward bowling to boot.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Horrible captaincy, bowling and fielding by Aussies.

Worst session by Aus since errr ....... same session last week.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
23 fours & 2 sixes in the session :wacko: unbelievable...., we have seen 2 of the best 1st sessions in tests thus far in this series....

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
social said:
Horrible captaincy, bowling and fielding by Aussies.

Worst session by Aus since errr ....... same session last week.
dont think we can blame ponting that much, its more bad feeling & bowling than bad captaincy that ponting.

social

aussie said:
dont think we can blame ponting that much, its more bad feeling & bowling than bad captaincy that ponting.
Australia shouldnt even be bowling, that's why you can blame Ponting.

Scaly piscine

England win, Australian win and a draw all pretty close together in the betting, 440 or around as the expected score for England. Will be interesting to see what the pitch looks like in the lunch break.

Pothas

Steulen said:
Ah no, that was in response to Pothas' post, just forgot to check the quote box :).

Apparently Warne bowled some seam-up for Hampshire earlier this year on a damp green seamer.
It wasnt on tv coverage i saw it live. I dont think he will be doing it again.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
social said:
Australia shouldnt even be bowling, that's why you can blame Ponting.
Vaughan would've batted without hesitation, the groundsman said the pitch will get worse and one should bat first. Awful decision from Punter. Having said that the wicket looked very damp and the clouds were close, so I can see why he did it.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Well, thoughts on the first session...

Mainly, some excellent, aggressive batting from England. An easy, slow and low wicket which offers very little for guys like Gillespie and Lee, and Trescothick and Strauss took advantage of it perfectly. Some lacklustre bowling, particularly from Lee (who was horribly disappointing on the whole) didn't help at all, and every poor ball as well as some pretty good ones were punished.

Australia had some bad luck as well, with Warne dropping a catch that he seemed almost certain to hold on to, and Kasprowicz getting a wicket off a no ball. On a pitch like this, with the wrong decision being made at the toss, every chance has to be taken, and letting two certain wickets like that go in half an hour or so isn't acceptable.

Warne bowled very well on a pitch which wasn't helping him much and using a ball only an hour old, and the ball he got Strauss with was absolutely special.

England will want to make 400+ on this wicket to set themselves up for a shot at winning the game. Even then, they will have to bowl very well, but anything under 300 will be well below par on this pitch, and with Warne likely to be a force later on in the match (even though he won't be bowling last), England won't want to face a first innings defecit. A 400+ score means that if they bowl well enough they can get a decent first innings lead, and then maybe square the series.

Should be a very interesting day from here.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Typical Lee, its fine bowling good when you have Glen McGrath keeping the other end tight. But when his country really need him to take up the mantle of Australias 1st Choice bowler he goes missing.
You have to wonder how Australia will cope when McGrath finally calls it a day unless Tait or some other up and coming bowler really takes to international cricket.

Pothas

Great first session by england looked so confident and assured im sure that Mcgraths injury has a lot to do with it there is none of that built up pressure. Good too see bret Lee back to his old test match self i hope it stays that way. Now England must go on, the middle order must bat in the same way. I think everyone is suprised by the pitch and england must now go on to make a big score

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
The forum Aussies have gone very quiet, or gone to bed.
Just watching the game mate. I'm writing the match report, so I can't go to bed yet, no matter what the score is. :p

Steulen

International Regular
Scaly piscine said:
Yep, that drop was nice.
:)

The ball that got Strauss was a beauty, though.

Second session predictions: Gillespie and Kasprowicz a wicket each, Vaughan gets a 50. Tea at 227/3.

social

Pedro Delgado said:
Vaughan would've batted without hesitation, the groundsman said the pitch will get worse and one should bat first. Awful decision from Punter. Having said that the wicket looked very damp and the clouds were close, so I can see why he did it.
Every Englishman thought the same way, "bat first," but we know better.

What makes the decision even worse is that our best bowler is a spinner.

And what about some of the field placings?

They had a guy 2/3 of the way to the point fence for basically the whole session and he did nothing more than concede singles or watch balls go past him to the boundary.

Tresco hit the ball well but he has basically been handed a big score on a platter through sheer ineptitude.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Steulen said:
No, McGrath is a loss. But Gillespie can now play as an opening bowler while Kasprowicz wreaks havoc with the old ball. I'd still rate this attack higher than England's.
I wouldn't, McGrath is such a key part of the attack that when he goes the whole set-up looks a lot easier to play.