• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Blaze

Banned
FaaipDeOiad said:
Certainly. All of the Australian bowlers can get wickets on flat pitches anyway, just noting that there's a tough period in the field now, and wickets will really need to be earned without McGrath or much help from the pitch

Notice the early footmarks? This pitch might well come apart quite nicely later on, and bring Warne into the equation somewhat. For a while though it's going to be very easy to bat on.

Certainly, but the aussie bowlers haven't been as consistant as they should have been so far.

I am looking forward to Kaspa having a bowl to see what he can do, i reckon he might go alright.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
If this wicket doesn't turn Aussie could be in trouble. Word is Mick would've batted if we'd won the toss.
Great start England.

Blaze

Banned
England should be looking at 450+ in this first innings IMO.

Predictions at scores anyone? I reckon they could very well get to 420

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Should be looking at 500.

Lee bowled a ball half way down in that over and it didnt bounce above stump height.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Blaze said:
England should be looking at 450+ in this first innings IMO.

Predictions at scores anyone? I reckon they could very well get to 420
After this start, 400 minimum - maybe even 500 runs if Warne doesn't cause too many problems.

Blaze

Banned
Somerset said:
After this start, 400 minimum - maybe even 500 runs if Warne doesn't cause too many problems.

Yeah.. doesn't look like he will be getting much support from the other end ATM

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Blaze said:
350 is not enough on this pitch.. England would be bitterly disapointed if they could only amass that many.
Yeah considering the pitch, 350 would definitely be too low - especially after this start from Trescothick and Strauss.

50 run partnership.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Blaze said:
Yeah.. doesn't look like he will be getting much support from the other end ATM
Indeed, Kasprowicz bowling just as useful as the openers at the moment - important match for him really, needs to step up.

Blaze

Banned
Pedro Delgado said:
Yeah I know, but I don't want to say 500+ 'cos I'm scared.

Haha fair enough.

Why did Ponting field first? Seems like a stupid decision to me especially with McGrath out.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Blaze said:
Haha fair enough.

Why did Ponting field first? Seems like a stupid decision to me especially with McGrath out.
Overcast skies and a pitch that may have offered some support to his bowlers? Vaughan would've batted first though so it does appear to be a mistake from Ponting.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Pedro Delgado said:
Any guessing on the score if pidge was playing?

24-2? Makes you think.
Can't help but feel England would've at least lost a wicket and only have 30-odd runs on the board. In saying that though, with next to no support, would McGrath really be that effective on this pitch?

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Somerset said:
Indeed, Kasprowicz bowling just as useful as the openers at the moment - important match for him really, needs to step up.
Here's me thinking these are ideal conditions for swing/seam; damp pitch (it is damp, they did a "plug" test and it's wet through) overcast and warm. This is why scientists dismiss swing theories. Most odd.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Blaze said:
Haha fair enough.

Because just like at Lords last week and Bristol in the ODI, Aus seem to think they know better than people who play at ground every day.

Hardly surprising that they dont.