• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in decline thread

Will Australia Fall into a Slump?

• Yes

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • No

Votes: 23 74.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

Tom Halsey said:
Of course it'll end - IIRC the WI domination ended didn't it? Everything comes to an end at some point.
true but what i'm saying is that they wont plummit like the west indies

dro87

U19 12th Man
Just wait 4 italy 2 be in the test Arena... And then Australia won't win anymore... (which mean that maybe in 2100 Italy will be the best cricket team in the world...) :D

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
aussie said:
true but what i'm saying is that they wont plummit like the west indies
Due to psychic ability? Fair to say you don't think so, but I can easily see Australia struggling in 10-15 years time.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

I'm not realistic mate, jsut using fact to estimate what can happen in the future, but i cant see australia going through what west indies have gone through and still are going through. When west indies were world pwer the didn't care about what the future had, they didn't nuture the future players. Its not like the WI dont have talent its just that they didn't go through the right development at the grass root level. For example a lot of their players get in the team too young while for australia players come in with an abundance of experience unless u have special talent eg Michael Clarke aka pup.

But i toally disagree that they will stuggle in 15 years time, due to the fact that the aussie board is paying much attention to grassrooth level

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
After 2007 when half the Australian team will retire then England, Sri Lanka, India and maybe Pakistan will be as good as Australia if not better. Australia do have players coming through but most of these players aren't that much better, if better at all, then the guys coming through in the others teams. Apart from Waston and Clarke, they have no real world beaters of the same potentail class of current generation.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Apart from Waston and Clarke, they have no real world beaters of the same potentail class of current generation.
Yes but those players like Hayden, Langer, Martyn, etc. didn't become world-beaters until their late-20's. Who's to say that players who are 23-25 now won't be world-beaters in a few years?

That and I have my doubts that 'half the Australian team' will retire after the 2007 WC.

Scallywag

Banned
chaminda_00 said:
After 2007 when half the Australian team will retire then England, Sri Lanka, India and maybe Pakistan will be as good as Australia if not better. Australia do have players coming through but most of these players aren't that much better, if better at all, then the guys coming through in the others teams. Apart from Waston and Clarke, they have no real world beaters of the same potentail class of current generation.

Australia may not be as dominant as they are now but all teams will suffer from players retiring after 2007 and Australia looks to be better prepared for it.

i hope the competition does even up a bit but the likes of Lara, Tendulkar, Inzi, Kallis will all be gone and most if not all teams will need to find new players.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
I don't really think that's likely. I could easily enough name a team now that I think would be more than competitive that will be around after the 2007 world cup, and that's not including anybody who stands up between now and then. It's all speculative of course, but it is for every other nation as well, and I think Australia is better equipped with impressive youngsters than any other side. People also said Australia wouldn't survive the retirement of the Waugh twins remember. The fact that all the players in the current Australian team except for perhaps Gilchrist and Warne are under pressure from other players in the domestic scene as soon as they fall out of form speaks volumes of Australias depth, and while they may well drop off a bit after 2007 I cannot see them falling back into the pack.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I think u guys seem to be forgetting the fact that most of the other teams will more of their players still going around after the 2007 WC, then Australia. If u look at Pakistan, India and England for example majority of their team will still be at their best after the WC. Their no doubt that all team will lose players but many of the teams outside Australia will have their core team after the next WC. Even Sri Lanka are only going to lose Jayasuriya, Attapattu, Vaas and Murali after the next WC, but the players they have to replace them are better then current young guys in Australia. Maharoof, Malinga and Suraj are better then any of the young Australian bowlers like Tait, White or Cleary.