• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in decline thread

Will Australia Fall into a Slump?

• Yes

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • No

Votes: 23 74.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So long as I can count Rikki Clarke and Richard Dawson as potential English world-beaters, I'll let you off.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

yes i do rikki clarke is the biggest disgrce since darius vassel and dawson to me shouldn't be near the englsih selectors thought. Hey neil what do you about gary keedy, i think he should be rated has the second best spinner in england

Neil Pickup

aussie said:
yes i do rikki clarke is the biggest disgrce since darius vassel and dawson to me shouldn't be near the englsih selectors thought. Hey neil what do you about gary keedy, i think he should be rated has the second best spinner in england
Keedy's a decent spinner, but the fact that he can't bat means he'll never get a long run in the International side. Should he have another good summer, he's an outside bet to tour India next winter, but he'll never play as regularly as Giles does because his selection would mean Hoggard bats eight.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Drifting off topic slightly, but Swann has produced some decent figures in the UAE.

Obviously I haven't seen the performances & can't vouch for the quality of the oppo, but he can at least hold a bat the right way up.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

yeah i forgot about swann but i rather keedy, let drift back to the topic now look at my original thread what do u guys think about the options i have their for warne, McGrath and gilchrist.

Mr Mxyzptlk

aussie said:
What do mean by thats a terrible anology
You used a player who did well one year and poorly the next and then said "you just cant count these guys out like that mate". Doesn't make much sense. Yes I see the point, but it wasn't a great analogy.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

ohhhhhhhh, sry if i sounded kinda rude mate, but it didn't sound that chessy did it

Neil Pickup

Warne, McGrath and Gilchrist are all modern greats. White/Casson, Tait/Bird and Ronchi all have potential but are far from the finished product, Brant - as we've established - is really not very good, Rofe seems half decent, Bracken has a Test record that's nothing short of dismal, Haddin's not set the world alight by any means.

I'm not even going to mention Hauritz. Worst player to play for Australia since Scott Muller?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

Neil Pickup said:
Warne, McGrath and Gilchrist are all modern greats. White/Casson, Tait/Bird and Ronchi all have potential but are far from the finished product, Brant - as we've established - is really not very good, Rofe seems half decent, Bracken has a Test record that's nothing short of dismal, Haddin's not set the world alight by any means.

I'm not even going to mention Hauritz. Worst player to play for Australia since Scott Muller?
jeese mate dont be so harsh on hauritz he isn't that bad, may be he hasn't set the world a light but he did well in his first test u never know rememeber on january second 1992 when shane warne played his first test with figurs of 1/150 againts india and afterwars was still picked to sri lanka the following and one by the name of geoff lawson wondered how could u pick a man like warne.While haddin while he hasn't done anything special i strongly believe in his ability to succed in the international level when gilchrist leaves i take u on brant =, but i dont know y all u guys r so down on bracken after his first series his one-day record is impressive and he has done farily well on the international seen remeber after hayden broke the world record and when australia went to the TVS Cup in india in 2003 minus mdgrath, lee, gillespie and bracken took up the new ball and bowled so well come on neil

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

anyway what do you guys think about the rise of Shaun Tait in the aussie ranks and the potential that the attacking ability that Luke Ronchi has to me those are two world beaters in the making.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
aussie said:
anyway what do you guys think about the rise of Shaun Tait in the aussie ranks and the potential that the attacking ability that Luke Ronchi has to me those are two world beaters in the making.
I think you can add Mitchell Johnson from Qld as well. He seems to have shaken off his injury curse and stringing a few produictive games together. And everyone seems to have forgotten about Shane Watson - the new Keith Miller!!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

yeah maybe we can put Mitchell Johsnson into that mix and i haven't forgotten about Shane Watson, him along with, White, Tait and Clarke look like the future greats of australian cricket

Neil Pickup

aussie said:
jeese mate dont be so harsh on hauritz he isn't that bad, may be he hasn't set the world a light but he did well in his first test u never know rememeber on january second 1992 when shane warne played his first test with figurs of 1/150 againts india and afterwars was still picked to sri lanka the following and one by the name of geoff lawson wondered how could u pick a man like warne.While haddin while he hasn't done anything special i strongly believe in his ability to succed in the international level when gilchrist leaves i take u on brant =, but i dont know y all u guys r so down on bracken after his first series his one-day record is impressive and he has done farily well on the international seen remeber after hayden broke the world record and when australia went to the TVS Cup in india in 2003 minus mdgrath, lee, gillespie and bracken took up the new ball and bowled so well come on neil
Given that ODI bowling success in no way translates to Test bowling success, because there's no need to try scoring off good balls, I've no reason to believe Bracken's going to set anything on fire.

Hauritz didn't do at all well in his first Test - it could easily be argued that his performance was so poor it was a major contributory factor in the Aussie defeat. He's also a finger spinner which suggests he won't get anywhere near Warne or even MacGill in terms of effectiveness - either White or Casson are likely to be the next Test spinner(s). I'd still like you to find me a worse player who has worn the Baggy Green in recent times.

Haddin's ODI average is currently a magnificent 17 - Ronchi is far more likely to replace Gilchrist when the time comes (four years? five? Haddin will be well past thirty by then).

Some capital letters and/or punctuation wouldn't go amiss either, these aren't text messages. Plus you don't need to have the same post title every time!

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Tom Halsey said:
Of course it'll end - IIRC the WI domination ended didn't it? Everything comes to an end at some point.
True - but will it be in our lifetime? [ /arrogant attitude] :p

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
quote:

Neil Pickup said:
Given that ODI bowling success in no way translates to Test bowling success, because there's no need to try scoring off good balls, I've no reason to believe Bracken's going to set anything on fire.

Hauritz didn't do at all well in his first Test - it could easily be argued that his performance was so poor it was a major contributory factor in the Aussie defeat. He's also a finger spinner which suggests he won't get anywhere near Warne or even MacGill in terms of effectiveness - either White or Casson are likely to be the next Test spinner(s). I'd still like you to find me a worse player who has worn the Baggy Green in recent times.

Haddin's ODI average is currently a magnificent 17 - Ronchi is far more likely to replace Gilchrist when the time comes (four years? five? Haddin will be well past thirty by then).

Some capital letters and/or punctuation wouldn't go amiss either, these aren't text messages. Plus you don't need to have the same post title every time!

k mate i'll take that on hauritz maybe Beau casson might get the nod ahead of him but what about other finger spinners like Xavier doherty and daniel cullen is thier better home in them.Maybe ur right about about haddin but i like the bloke but i agree that ronchi once he fullfills his huge potential he will replace gilchrist.But i dont know why you guys see no hope in bracken, his situation resembles kasprowicz so many years ago when critics didn't rate him in the high aussie bowling ranks now look where he is, I bet you neil bracken will be just like kasper at 32 or 33 with all the years experience behinf him bowling for australia