• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** 2004 Natwest Series (Eng, NZL, WI)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
nibblet said:
New Zealand beat England.............again. This made me very happy.
Funny how quiet you were throughout the earlier part of the season (you remember the Test series right? - I think New Zealand lost it 3-0)

At least most Kiwis had the grace to post during that time, rather than coming in now (rather like Man United supporters) and crowing after a couple of victories.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Hmm, he didn't post at all when NZ were being beaten...

Most Kiwis came here and joined in the discussion...

And I have never posted a whole page of posts (except in AlFtA which is a closed thread so doesn't count)

Mingster

State Regular
Good allrounder effort from the Black Caps last night.

Styris is a very underrated bowler, especially by Ian Botham who labelled him "nothing more than a part-timer". He bowled great lines yesterday, and kept it tight all along the innings and bowled very well near the death.

Jacob Oram was simply outstanding. A year ago, he was nothing more than a genuine second-change medium pacer and now he is near world-class ODI seam bowler. Oram and Cairns as our death bowlers looks pretty good to me.

I'm with Kent on Franklin, he's still a bit wayward for me to cut it at ODI level. Butler can afford to be a bit loose now and then because he has that added pace, but Franklin was only hovering around 78m/h which is only around 125km/h. For some reason, he wasn't trying to swing the new ball yesterday. He bowled it cross-seam for quite a period. Odd.

Any news on the Tuffey injury? Because it looks like we'll need him at the top with Oram to open the bowling.

NatWest Final Team - Astle, Fleming, Marshall, Styris, McMillan, Cairns, Oram, Hopkins+, Vettori, Tuffey, Butler.

At this stage, I would prefer Butler over Franklin. The ND man's first spell was great, shame that he got a bit smacked near the death.

Mingster

State Regular
marc71178 said:
Hmm, he didn't post at all when NZ were being beaten...

Most Kiwis came here and joined in the discussion...

And I have never posted a whole page of posts (except in AlFtA which is a closed thread so doesn't count)
I'm sorry Marc. I didn't know when you registered that you have to post in every single match. I'm sorry for not posting when the Black Caps were getting beaten in the Tests. I shall read the agreement again.

I don't know which page it is. But it was the one where you posted 18 posts in a row.

Mingster

State Regular
marc71178 said:
I think he's talking in the sense that you wouldn't really want to go in with him as one of 5 bowlers - he's not that frequently given a full 10, especially in recent times as his batting has progressed.
He's not that frequently given the 10 because NZ usually play him as our 6th bowler. Styris was bowled abit in the SA series.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mingster said:
I'm sorry Marc. I didn't know when you registered that you have to post in every single match. I'm sorry for not posting when the Black Caps were getting beaten in the Tests. I shall read the agreement again.
I wasn't actually talking about you, more the people who remain very quiet when their side is losing, yet appear when they win and make pathetic posts of glory - some people have to learn to take the rough with the smooth.

It was the "again" part that made it particularly poor, considering how they'd lost 3 times in 3 Tests, but not one Englishman felt the need to make a post of that nature,

Mingster said:
I don't know which page it is. But it was the one where you posted 18 posts in a row.

18 is not a full page though...

Mingster

State Regular
But he bowls every match.

You don't usually see a team such as a team like NZ, have all their 5 bowlers bowl their 10.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
A lot of bowlers tend to bowl every match (witness England with McGrath (A), Collingwood, Vaughan and Clarke) - that doesn't make them full time.

Styris is a useful option as a 6th bowler, but not one you'd want to ask to bowl 10 every game with no cover (such as a Styris)

Mingster

State Regular
Styris is good enough to be a 5th bowler. Marc, why don't you think Styris is a good bowler?

Last 20 matches for NZ, Styris has averaged 25 with the ball.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mingster said:
Styris is good enough to be a 5th bowler. Marc, why don't you think Styris is a good bowler?
I've never said that, just that I wouldn't want him to be one of only 5 options in an attack.

Mingster said:
Last 20 matches for NZ, Styris has averaged 25 with the ball.

And has only bowled 107 overs (ie just over half the amount he could've done)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mingster said:
When's Harris ever going to take his 200th wicket?
From what I heard today, he did, but the umpire declined to give it.

The TMS commentary was particularly humourous - something along the lines of:

Harris on 199 wickets and he bowls to Flintoff and there it is his 200th wicket, well done to him, but the umpire hasn't given it.

Cue laughter in the background.

Mingster

State Regular
marc71178 said:
I've never said that, just that I wouldn't want him to be one of only 5 options in an attack.
Ok let me rephrase it then, why wouldn't you want Styris as one of your 5 bowlers?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I don't think he's reliable enough to always bowl his 10.

As a 6th bowler there's a lot less call on him to perform for a full 10.

Mingster

State Regular
marc71178 said:
I don't think he's reliable enough to always bowl his 10.

As a 6th bowler there's a lot less call on him to perform for a full 10.
Care to elaborate on "reliable" there mate?

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
lol @ how much marc posts lol

Good job nz...

And EVEN THE COMMENTATORS were saying "We were beaten by a better team" lol :D

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Aggers kept trying to refer to the fact that NZ are only winning because England & The West Indies were playing poorly..and to some extent he's right, but they've been playing poorly in ODI cricket for awhile.

NZ have now won 8 consecutive ODI's and their record this year is now 12 wins in 14 matches so they must be doing something right.