• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** 2004 Natwest Series (Eng, NZL, WI)

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
In a series where the side fielding second wins three matches in a row, 237 may not be enough. Looks like the team needs a devastating spell from Harmison.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Arjun said:
In a series where the side fielding second wins three matches in a row, 237 may not be enough. Looks like the team needs a devastating spell from Harmison.
Trust me the bristol pitch is the worst pitch in england for batting 2nd on, it just gets lower and slower as the game goes on. 237 (with the bowlers we've picked) is gonna be a very hard score to get.

Swervy

International Captain
Arjun said:
by that logic..even if england had score 437 you would think it wouldnt be enough.

Anyway..looking forward to seeing how Mahmood does today

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
for the nz people.. do u like how sky has there music video before the game starts again.. like nz owning with the high speed cameras in slow mo to music...

They do it really well :)

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
No wicket for 68, this atack is rather innocuous, except for Harmison. I hope Mahmood gets his full 10 overs- as someone said, it will help him a lot. Flintoff should also get a few.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Arjun said:
No wicket for 68, this atack is rather innocuous, except for Harmison. I hope Mahmood gets his full 10 overs- as someone said, it will help him a lot. Flintoff should also get a few.
Flintoff won't get any, he's injured

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Flintoff won't get any, he's injured
Then why was he playing? There's no way a dominating team would play a player who's not fully fit, even if he's an all-rounder and they're playing him as a batsman. If Gilchrist was injured, would the Australians play him as a batsman? I doubt it. Any player in that team carrying an injury won't stay in the team.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Much as the english were unlucky, I would not blame it all on luck. The bowlers let the team down, by some very unimaginative and powerless bowling. The only exception was Harmison, who bowled quite well, except for his ninth over. Sajid Mahmood was a failure, but the more experienced bowlers were not far better- Collingwood, for instance, was worse. Some imaginative bowling- slower balls, changes in line and length, seam movement, enough stuff to draw the batsmen forward, all this could take a few wickets.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Arjun said:
Then why was he playing? There's no way a dominating team would play a player who's not fully fit, even if he's an all-rounder and they're playing him as a batsman. If Gilchrist was injured, would the Australians play him as a batsman? I doubt it. Any player in that team carrying an injury won't stay in the team.
I don't know why he was playing, maybe because the selectors thought he would be quite useful with the bat!

I think Gilchrist would have a shot at getting in to the Aussie team on batting alone and there isn't currently a better middle order ODI batter for England than Flintoff

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Arjun said:
England played him purely as a batsman, simply because he is one of the best one day batsmen in England even when not fully fit. Today's performance justifies that I think.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Fleming inventing new ways to deny himself a century. First he goes for an impossible single on 99*, Marshall gets run out at the other end. Then, still on 99, chips it to midwicket! Well played though.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Adamc said:
Fleming inventing new ways to deny himself a century. First he goes for an impossible single on 99*, Marshall gets run out at the other end. Then, still on 99, chips it to midwicket! Well played though.
You had to feel for him tho, he got stuck on 99 for like 10 mins after the run out cos the new batsmen kept keeping the strike. Poor batting by them really but they had clearly won the game by then so perhaps you can forgive them

tooextracool

International Coach
SpaceMonkey said:
Trust me the bristol pitch is the worst pitch in england for batting 2nd on, it just gets lower and slower as the game goes on. 237 (with the bowlers we've picked) is gonna be a very hard score to get.
and how true that turned out to be!

tooextracool

International Coach
Arjun said:
Sajid Mahmood was a failure, but the more experienced bowlers were not far better- Collingwood, for instance, was worse. Some imaginative bowling- slower balls, changes in line and length, seam movement, enough stuff to draw the batsmen forward, all this could take a few wickets.
paul collingwood....experienced bowler?
and seam movement depends more on the wicket(and the new ball) than it does on the type of bowler.
and yes sajid mahmood bowled complete rubbish....whether it was the pressure of the big stage that got to him or the type of wicket he played on, i expected more from a bowler who took plenty of wickets on those dead wickets in the sub continent.

tooextracool

International Coach
on a side note, another failure for michael vaughan......hopefully the selectors take note of this and give him a warning, AFAIC if he fails to come up with a single big knock this series he should be dropped from the side, captaincy does not give him the freedom to take his place for granted.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Well I have watched Mahmood quite a bit in the NCL, and I was not surprised by his display today... International cricket is a hard school and he has a lot to learn.. I hope he enables me to eat my words a la Steve Harmison...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
No its more to do with the position his side was in when he came to the crease...57/3.

Erm is that not in part due to the conditions?

Flintoff did not attack from ball 1 for a reason...