• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** 2004 Natwest Series (Eng, NZL, WI)

tooextracool

International Coach
for those of you who want to see thorpe back into the ODI side....

"One–day cricket is dead and buried for me now. It would be a huge backward step for England to pick me again."
Graham Thorpe rebuffs a request from David Graveney to rethink his one-day retirement

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
The strange thing is that historically in England, chasing under lights has not been a success!
True, but this year the first innings have been so brief that the 2nd innings have barely needed the lights.

I hope Mahmood plays next time instead of Collingwood or McGrath. We were lucky to get away with 3 bowlers yesterday, and we'll get slaughtered if we try that one too often.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mingster said:
NZ have shown we can do both.

Funny that, because by my reckoning NZ have NEVER bowled under lights in an ODI in England, so how have they shown they can do it?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And the relevance to Mingster's comment there is... ?

We know there's not been many, but he claimed that NZ have shown they can do something that they've NEVER done.

Mingster

State Regular
marc71178 said:
Funny that, because by my reckoning NZ have NEVER bowled under lights in an ODI in England, so how have they shown they can do it?
Over the past 12 or so ODIs, we have shown we have the side, the talent, the players who can either chase a big target down, and set a target and defend it.

No side yet have had to bowl under lights in an ODI because the pitches have been substandard so far.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The point I was making was fairly specific to England, and since NZ have yet to bowl second in a D/N game in England, I wonder why you said that NZ have shown they can "do both"?

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
West Indies make at least one change to their team.Best to come in for the injured Rampaul.Also, expect Dwayne Smith to either lose his place or be demoted in the batting order.

Mingster

State Regular
marc71178 said:
The point I was making was fairly specific to England, and since NZ have yet to bowl second in a D/N game in England, I wonder why you said that NZ have shown they can "do both"?
Go watch the SA or Pakistan series in the past summer.

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
yeah we won alot of games if memory serves me correct bowling last under lights..

Infact think back to when we won.. when mills bowlled like 4 no balls and got hit for like 4-5 sixes .. all in the last over..

We won that.. and that was under lights aswell :)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Out of the 12 matches this year, NZ won 2/ lost 1 game(s) bowling under lights and..infact the majority of those matches have been day games looking at the stats.

So really I wouldn't say 3 matches proves a hell of lot whether or not NZ bowl well under lights.

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
huh.. lights r lights..

do england use like 50w lightbulbs from a lamp in there lights or something ?

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
franklin not bowling good at all... :o poor indead...

Interesting to see how butler bowls today...

oram bowling amazing again...

Could b a high scoring game! hope it is :D

PY

International Coach
MoxPearl said:
huh.. lights r lights..

do england use like 50w lightbulbs from a lamp in there lights or something ?
Lights may well be lights but English evenings are an enigma to everyone (even people who live here). They are so variable, dew starts falling at 7pm onwards sometimes and on other days there may well be no dew all night.

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
lara dropped by mcmillan.. was a hard catch... commentators seem to think it was easy but... :o

47-0 WI