• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** 2004 Natwest Series (Eng, NZL, WI)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I still don't like how we're opening the bowling with Jacob Oram..but I guess you can't knock it if we're winning most of the time.

Franklin, I think is a good example of what 2 years back in domestic cricket can do for a player..I think England should perhaps look at how Franklin has returned & do the same with Rikki Clarke.
It feels as though Franklin has been around for ages..I think im right in saying he debuted for Wellington in 1999..yet he's still only 23.
I can see why he was a former NZ U19 Captain..I think he reads the game well & it appears as though he can recover from setbacks e.g. 2001 VB Series nightmare v Pollock.

I just think that if we're always going to pick a medium/fast pace attack then Franklin should be in the mix because clearly his left-arm has been an advantage.

Last edited:

gio

U19 Cricketer
If he's only playing as a batsman, I'm a bit lost as to why they recalled him. Surely someone like Bell, Carberry, Newman or Gidman would be a better choice. It's also a bit of a knock in the teeth for Rob Key. What's he done wrong? Afterall, he is already in the squad.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Considering England are almost out of this series..that is a huge risk to bring back Flintoff & potentially put him out for more weeks to come.

From Vaughan's comments & the reaction...it all seems as though this England ODI side is a 1 man team at the moment.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tim said:
Considering England are almost out of this series..that is a huge risk to bring back Flintoff & potentially put him out for more weeks to come.

From Vaughan's comments & the reaction...it all seems as though this England ODI side is a 1 man team at the moment.
I'm getting to the stage where I'm actually grateful that someone else trashed the hall TV room causing it to be locked this week.

If it hadn't been, I can guarantee that something would have been broken by now..

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Just thinking about what Vaughan said. What is everyone's views on that?

Vaughan pretty much said: "No, let's not panic, we can win without Flintoff..we'll keep the same side & put it right"

Yet here the selectors are obviously in total disagreement & sending out the SOS to bring back Flintoff.
Surely the selectors need to have more faith in the Captain?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Tim said:

Vaughan pretty much said: "No, let's not panic, we can win without Flintoff..we'll keep the same side & put it right"

Yet here the selectors are obviously in total disagreement & sending out the SOS to bring back Flintoff.
The selectors and captain not seeing eye to eye? Sounds familiar...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I've noticed a few times since NZ have been in England that the selectors have said something & Vaughan has gone the other way or vice-versa.

Has this come about after Chris Read was dropped in the West Indies against orders?

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Tim said:

Of course the captain is gonna say that, if he didnt just imagine what the moral would be like back in the dressing room. Any captain who doesnt hback the team he's given isnt a good captain imo. I've sure Vaughan wanted flintoff back as much as the selectors in private.

Mr Mxyzptlk

SpaceMonkey said:
Of course the captain is gonna say that, if he didnt just imagine what the moral would be like back in the dressing room. Any captain who doesnt hback the team he's given isnt a good captain imo. I've sure Vaughan wanted flintoff back as much as the selectors in private.
Perhaps, but it's really a very poor attitude to risk losing one of your best players (and indeed one of the best allrounders in the world) for the rest of the summer for the benefit of what? A couple of ODI wins? That's not very smart IMO.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Perhaps, but it's really a very poor attitude to risk losing one of your best players (and indeed one of the best allrounders in the world) for the rest of the summer for the benefit of what? A couple of ODI wins? That's not very smart IMO.
agreed.....its also the reason why harmison shouldnt be playing in these ODIs as well.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
agreed.....its also the reason why harmison shouldnt be playing in these ODIs as well.
I dunno im sure alot of Harmisons improvement in accuracy is down to England forcing him to play One days. He just couldnt afford to spray it about. Now the last 2 one dayers he's hardly bowled a wide. Compared to how many he'd bowl PER OVER just 6 months ago.
Also i dont think batting / fielding will do any damage to Flintoffs ankle that a normal fitness session in the Gym would do. As long as he isnt bowling thats ok in my book.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
gio said:
If he's only playing as a batsman, I'm a bit lost as to why they recalled him. Surely someone like Bell, Carberry, Newman or Gidman would be a better choice. It's also a bit of a knock in the teeth for Rob Key. What's he done wrong? Afterall, he is already in the squad.
Newman, Carberry and Gidman, with List-A averages in the mid to low 20s; Bell, with a seasonal average well below his overall one. Typical English. Just like the selection of Clarke ITFP, with a List-A average of 23, and plenty besides. And Key, whose National League average this season is a fantastic 14...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
I still don't like how we're opening the bowling with Jacob Oram..but I guess you can't knock it if we're winning most of the time.

I wonder if it's condition related?

Fleming thinks his bowling is ideal for the current climate?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
On CricInfo's scorecard, the teams are announced. Flintoff is back ,and there is a fifth batsman- Robert Key, but why is Anthony still there? They have an option of Giles, and also Blackwell. At least Clarke's dropped. I have no clue about last minute changes.

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
how do you english feel about this game today ? Fancy your chances or not ?

Also.. on tv u see some mightly big black clouds... so whos advantage is it to rain ? WI im guessing... ?