• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tapioca said:
A direct question, change it to SJS format if you want.

I opened the batting with X in my first Test series. He was a regular opener but I was more of a middle order batsman. But I was an opener in my last Test too, sixteen years and a few months after my first, and X was still my opening partner.

Who are we ?
Are you England batsmen /

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
You are Bill Edrich.

You opened with Hutton in your third test in your debut series, the innings in which he scored the world record 364.

16 years later you ended your career opening with Hutton against Australia once again but this time at Adelaide.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Since the answer fits every criteria including the critical one about "sixteen years and a few months after my first", I am confident it is correct and also since my good friend Tapioca may next visit us only after "sixteen years and a few months" :D , I propose to ask the next question shortly.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Okay. Here is what looks like a fairly strong team picked up from around the world and different eras though most names are very well known. There are opening batsmen, all rounders, fast and medium pace bowlers, spinners of all types, No wicket since I did not have time to think of a keeper to fit this 'unique' list !!

1. Chauhan, Chetandra P S
  2. Ratnayeke, Joseph R
  3. Botham, Ian T
  4. McMillan, Brian M
  5. Giffen, George
  6. Warne, Shane K
  7. Hopwood, John L
  8. Martin, Christopher S
  9. Willis, Robert G D
  10. Waqar Younis
  11. Maninder Singh

This list is unique because each of these players is in it not for any of their better known achievements but for some statistical quirk in their records which makes them unique.

In one case, the record seems to have been overtaken by a current player but we are ignoring that for both non clarity of definition as well as the fact that it may not remain .

You have to try and guess what are the unique' statistical oddities in their records. A few of them are better known than the others so these could become the clues for the others.

Up front Hint # 1 : These are not things they would be happy to have on their CV's

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Let me clarify. It is something different for each individual. To give an example (this is part of the answer)
No 1 on that list, Chetan Chauhan, has the worse conversion rate in the history of the game with 16 fifties in tests and not a single hundred.

Clearly it cant be the same for another player in the list.

Its possible that it may take more than 20 questions to get to all the answers. If so we will make suitable concessions in the rules for this one time :p

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Looks like you are onto something here :

Waqar most runs without a 50.

Maninder most tests for a career aggregate < 100 (35 tests and 99 runs)
Martin same for 50 (24 tests and 46 runs)
Willis for 1000 ? (90 tests and 840 runs)

Hopwood bowled 462 balls in his career without taking a wicket. Is it a record ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Q1.Are they all Test records? Or Test quirks?......YES. I call them quirks, but they ARE records at the moment. in tests.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Q2. Shane Warne, most runs without a hundred?.....Yes. One gone, ten to go :)

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Q3. Bob Willis, most Test wickets with out a 10 wicket match hall?......Yes. Most wickets and most five wicket hauls without a ten wicket haul. Nine to go.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Q4. Waqar most runs without a 50?.....YES. Also the only man with a 100 test runs (1010) without a fifty.

Q5. Maninder most tests for a career aggregate < 100 (35 tests and 99 runs)?....YES

Q6. Martin same for 50 (24 tests and 46 runs).....YES

Q7. Willis for 1000 ? (90 tests and 840 runs).....NO

Hopwood bowled 462 balls in his career without taking a wicket. Is it a record ?...I forget why he is there will get back soon.

As for the rest...Six to go :)

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Q9. Is Willis' batting related?....NO

You are wasting questions. It has been covered. See Q3.

Last edited: