• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Adamc said:
I'm confused... the other three might, but Warwick Armstrong certainly doesn't have a bad captaincy record. I think I'm missing something obvious... :confused:
Clarification : All of them dont have the worst record for their teams but this line of thinking is close to the reason to the common thread that ties them.

archie mac

International Coach
Is it anything to do with the amount of overs they bowled when they were captain?

Or is it how much their form well away once they became captain of their Country?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Armstrong, Waqar Younis, Ian Botham and Khaled Mashud.

What strange thread connection is there between them which makes me put them all in one list ?

Q1 Is the connecting thread a physical trait?....NO
Q2. Have the got the worst Test captaincy record for their countries?.....Yes and NO. ( It is not true exactly but has something to do with the connection between them)
Q4. Is that why they are all in the list?.....YES (While this is not the final answer, it confirms that it has something to do with captaincy)
Q4. Is the connecting thread to do with bowling?....NO
Q5. Is it to do with age?.....NO
Q6. Anything to do with the toss?......NO
Q7. Is it anything to do with the amount of overs they bowled when they were captain?....NO
Q8. is it how much their form well away once they became captain of their Country?.....NO

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Q9. Is it some thing to do with specific number of matches they lost or won after they became captain?.......Yes( sort of ) and NO (not exactly) :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
Is it along the lines that Armstrong had a great win/loss ratio and that Botham had a poor one?
Too vague. Could you ask a more direct question? I am not counting this one.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
Is it the two best bowling captains V the two worst bowling captains?
NO

Big Time Hint : Its about captaincy and its about match results !!

So we have been going around it for some time now :D

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Speed up clue # 2 : None of those living in this list have anything to feel proud of inspite of a 'world record achievement' by each !!

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
IT Botham captained England in 10 tests without winning any. It was a record till Mashud bettered it with 14.

Now how can we link it with Armstrong and Waqar ?

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Aha. Waqar was the captain in 17 Tests, every one of them had a result.

Armstrong was cap in 10, and did not lose any.

Second thoughts : Hell, I think I have walked right into the trap :(

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Correction : ITB was the captain in 12 Tests.

Mashud captained BD in 12 tests in first term, which ended in 2002 Dec (he was sacked after the world cup). But he captained in two more Tests in late 2004 when Bashar was injured.

SJS must be using a source that came out between these two dates :-)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Well we will give it to Tapioca for getting closest to it.

It is the list of captains who have led in the highest number of tests with one type of result(win, draw or loss) never achieved. (The cut off level for this list is minimum 10 tests as captain)

Armstrong : Led in 10 in his entire career with 0% losses.

Waqar : Led in 17 tests in his entire career with 0% draws. ( Three others have the same results but have led in fewer tests. Warner and Clem Hill 10 each and Khaled Mashud 12 so far)

Botham and Khaled Mashud(sofar) : Led in 12 tests in their careers with 0% wins. Khaled may still get out of it and leave Botham in solitary splendour. (Two others make the list, Melville(SA) and Taibu but they have led in fewer tests - 10 each)

archie mac

International Coach
SJS said:
Well we will give it to Tapioca for getting closest to it.

It is the list of captains who have led in the highest number of tests with one type of result(win, draw or loss) never achieved. (The cut off level for this list is minimum 10 tests as captain)

Armstrong : Led in 10 in his entire career with 0% losses.

Waqar : Led in 17 tests in his entire career with 0% draws. ( Three others have the same results but have led in fewer tests. Warner and Clem Hill 10 each and Khaled Mashud 12 so far)

Botham and Khaled Mashud(sofar) : Led in 12 tests in their careers with 0% wins. Khaled may still get out of it and leave Botham in solitary splendour. (Two others make the list, Melville(SA) and Taibu but they have led in fewer tests - 10 each)
It always seems so easy once you know the answer, but next time you say it is an easy Q, I am going on holiday :p

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
As said earlier, Mashud has already gone past Botham. The two Tests against NZ last year (when Habibul Bashar was injured) were his 13th and 14th.

The next question in a few hours ....

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
A direct question, change it to SJS format if you want.

I opened the batting with X in my first Test series. He was a regular opener but I was more of a middle order batsman. But I was an opener in my last Test too, sixteen years and a few months after my first, and X was still my opening partner.

Who are we ?