• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
Most test innings' without a not out?

YESSSS !

Only Joseph ratnayake to go.

Hint for that one. Originally sami would have made that list but his figures have changed. Then it would have been another Sri Lankan KPJ Warnaweera but the stat wasnt THAT impressive. So I chose ratnayake and very slightly changed the criteria for his being there.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Here is what looks like a fairly strong team picked up from around the world and different eras though most names are very well known. There are opening batsmen, all rounders, fast and medium pace bowlers, spinners of all types, No wicket since I did not have time to think of a keeper to fit this 'unique' list !!

1. Chauhan, Chetandra P S
  2. Ratnayeke, Joseph R
  3. Botham, Ian T
  4. McMillan, Brian M
  5. Giffen, George
  6. Warne, Shane K
  7. Hopwood, John L
  8. Martin, Christopher S
  9. Willis, Robert G D
  10. Waqar Younis
  11. Maninder Singh

This list is unique because each of these players is in it not for any of their better known achievements but for some statistical quirk in their records which makes them unique.

In one case, the record seems to have been overtaken by a current player but we are ignoring that for both non clarity of definition as well as the fact that it may not remain .

You have to try and guess what are the unique' statistical oddities in their records. A few of them are better known than the others so these could become the clues for the others.

Up front Hint # 1 : These are not things they would be happy to have on their CV's

Q1 Is it something to do with batting?....Not for all the players ?

Clarification : Let me clarify. It is something different for each individual. To give an example (this is part of the answer)
No 1 on that list, Chetan Chauhan, has the worse conversion rate in the history of the game with 16 fifties in tests and not a single hundred.

Clearly it cant be the same for another player in the list.

Q2.Are they all Test records? Or Test quirks?......YES. I call them quirks, but they ARE records at the moment. in tests.
Q3. Shane Warne?, most runs without a hundred?.....Yes.
Q4. Bob Willis, most Test wickets with out a 10 wicket match hall?......Yes. Most wickets and most five wicket hauls without a ten wicket haul.
Q5. Waqar most runs without a 50?.....YES. Also the only man with a 100 test runs (1010) without a fifty.
Q6. Maninder most tests for a career aggregate < 100 (35 tests and 99 runs)?....YES
Q7. Martin same for 50 (24 tests and 46 runs).....YES
Q8. Willis for 1000 ? (90 tests and 840 runs).....NO
Q9. Does Mike Hendrick come very close to qualifying for any of those lists ?
Q10. Is Willis' batting related?....NO
Q11. McMillan - most wickets without a 5 WI ? I was thinking about Hendrick for this one….NO(actually it is most balls(or overs) without a five wicket haul. I had by mistake said yes hence the answer is provided)
Q12. Hopwood - most balls in Test cricket without taking a wicket ?.....YES.
Q13. Is it anything to do with his(Botham’s) record while captain ?....YES
Q14. Is Ratnayeke, Joseph R the slowest bowler to get 50 wickets. ie most tests to take 50 wickets?23 tests ?.....NO
Q15. Is Giffen a bowling record….NO
Q16. Highest score for a player (Giffen) only scoring one Test hundred?....No
Q17. Is the Giffen Q, a batting record?....YES
Q18. Giffen - Lowest Test ave. with a player having a top score over 150?....NO
Q19. Most test innings' without a not out? (Steds)
Q20. Is it a bowling stat?-Ratnayake ….No
Q21. Is "sami" Mohammad Sami ?......Yes
Q22. Is it a batting stat?...NO
Q23. Fielding …..Yes

Last edited: