• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
Q6 Were they adopted? No though Sutcliffe was raised by an aunt. And Hill was from a large family, which is why this unusual thing came about I suppose
They werent using their family names ?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Is it to do with something they did before playing cricket ?

Is it something they did as apprentices etc before becoming established as cricketers ?

archie mac

International Coach
Q7 They werent using their family names ? No

Q8 Is it to do with something they did before playing cricket ? Well before (sort of)

Q9 Is it something they did as apprentices etc before becoming established as cricketers ? No

archie mac

International Coach
Q10 Are they twins? Noooooo :laugh: :laugh:

Clue: Some players like Pooley and Fleetwood-Smith and D'Oliveria knew what they were doing by messing with their age. but Hill and Sutcliffe had no idea.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Were they given wrong ages on debut ? (either due to not having birth certificates or mistakenly giving siblings birth certificates perhaps ) :)

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
Were they given wrong ages on debut ? (either due to not having birth certificates or mistakenly giving siblings birth certificates perhaps ) :)
Close enough, the birthday they gave, was in fact wrong but the year was right. When they saw their birth certificate they realised, would be a shock I should think.

Your turn Jason :)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Question

He had Club feet and should not have even been in the Team, but he forced his way into it , and played with a runner !! :D
After the loss his Captain wrote ".........played very badly ... he should never have been in the XI had my counsel been taken." :p

His opposition sent the following message after his Team's loss "............................, Of cricket you've no knowledge. You play not cricket, but the fool, With men of ................" :laugh:

To which he replied
"Ye ...... wits, to play the fool Is not the boast of ............; No wonder, then, at our defeat - Folly like yours could ne'er be beat." :laugh:

This reply is hardly surprising given his later works -see below.
Who is this famous character ? What cricket match is this ? :p

So, we'll go no more a roving So late into the night, Though the heart be still as loving, And the moon be still as bright.

For the sword outwears its sheath, And the soul wears out the breast, And the heart must pause to breathe, And love itself have rest.

Though the night was made for loving, And the day returns too soon, Yet we'll go no more a roving By the light of the moon.

I stood in Venice on the Bridge of Sighs,
A palace and a prison on each hand.
I saw from out the wave her structures rise
As from the stroke of the enchanter's wand:
A thousand years their cloudy wings expand
Around me, and a dying Glory smiles
O'er the far times, when many a subject land
Look'd to the winged Lion's marble piles,
Where Venice sat in state, thron'd on her hundred isles!

NEAR this spot
Are deposited the Remains
of one
Who possessed Beauty
Without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferocity,
And all the Virtues of Man
Without his Vices.
This Praise, which would be unmeaning flattery
If inscribed over Human Ashes,
Is but a just tribute to the Memory of
"Boatswain," a Dog
Who was born at Newfoundland,
May, 1803,
And died at Newstead Abbey
Nov. 18, 1808.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
archie mac said:
Was it a school match Eton V Harrow ?

Was the author Byron?
It was (George Gordon) Lord Byron . And it was said to be the first Eton v Harrow Match of 1805, Byron having forced himself into the Harrow Team despite Club feet !!

Now its your turn on both Trivia !! Good bye for now ! :D

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
archie mac said:
Which former England captain, had a sister who joined the Royal Ballet Company in London?
Just saw this Q as I was about to log out , But seriously Archie , Is this Cricket Trivia? :laugh:

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
Just saw this Q as I was about to log out , But seriously Archie , Is this Cricket Trivia? :laugh:
Well I noticed some one on here (C/W) said they had read this players bio, so I thought it might encourage more posters to join in. And to see if they took much notice when they read it.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I would hazard a guess that it's Nasser Hussain. I'm pretty certain that his sis is a ballerina down in Oz nowadays (she's copped the 'strine big time too!), so think it's a fair bet she started off at the Royal Ballet.

archie mac

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
I would hazard a guess that it's Nasser Hussain. I'm pretty certain that his sis is a ballerina down in Oz nowadays (she's copped the 'strine big time too!), so think it's a fair bet she started off at the Royal Ballet.
Well done BB, take it away with the next Q, nothing about the recent Ashes series though, as I am still hiding out :ph34r:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ok, no Ashes Qs from me then, I promise! ;)

I'm the father of a famous son, but I'm still well remembered in cricketing circles. Who am I?