• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Overrated Player?

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Arjun said:
My vote goes for Adam Hollioake. I don't know what great thing hehas done to make it to the Wisden Top 5. Wise not, indeed!

Nasser Hussain comes second, for the same reason, but not as much. Followed by Ashley Giles, who still has a permanent place in the team, despite his TOTAL lack of penetration.
Hollioake was one of the Wisden Cricketers of the Year for 2002 because they have at least one from the County game and Hollioake was sublime in that season, especially considering his brother's death.

Steve Harmison - He tries his arse off. Can you ask for more? It's not as if anyone's calling him a world beater..
Saqlain Mushtaq - Just in a rut
Shahid Afridi - Lacks brain
Rashid Latif - Best WK/Bat in Pak
Ashley Giles - he's the best spinner in the Country.. nothing more
Ronnie Irani - not rated. Can't bowl.
Khaled Muhmud - find me someone who rates him
Merv Dillon - Has led a weak WI attack well for a long time
Jimmy Adams - Is he still playing?
Jimmy Maher - Pass
Stuart MacGill - #2 Spinner in Aus
Martin Love - What's he done wrong?
Charl Langaveldt - No good. Willoughby neither :)
Paul Wiseman - There's only one spinner in NZ!
Brendon Mcullam - Just needs smoothing round the edges
Dilhara Fernando - Quick and injury prone
Thilan Samaweera - Overrated on ICC, solid dull A-team guy IRL..

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
deeps said:
trescothik hasn't performed against quality opposition! ig2g
can't believe nobody's picked this up. A double ton against South Africa and he still hasn't performed against quality opposition? They might not be the best of the world teams, but it's pretty tight between no. 2 and no. 8 in Tests atm.

Besides, I predict Trescothick to get a good tour of Sri Lanka. He certainly seems to be on good form.

As for the question, I think Michael Vaughan is over-rated. He's certainly important as a captain, and I can agree that England don't have too many good batsmen, but he's not England's best batsman (ok, he did well in the Ashes, but that's not everything).

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Samuel_Vimes said:
As for the question, I think Michael Vaughan is over-rated. He's certainly important as a captain, and I can agree that England don't have too many good batsmen, but he's not England's best batsman (ok, he did well in the Ashes, but that's not everything).
So who is? How many other guys have done that in Australia lately?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Samuel_Vimes said:
can't believe nobody's picked this up. A double ton against South Africa and he still hasn't performed against quality opposition? They might not be the best of the world teams, but it's pretty tight between no. 2 and no. 8 in Tests atm.

Besides, I predict Trescothick to get a good tour of Sri Lanka. He certainly seems to be on good form.

Exactly right about Marcus Trescothick. He was just in bad form against Aus. It also seems to me that he does well against Asain teams, because of their spinners, and he is a very good player of spin.

Can't agree with you about Vaughan, though, he is just in bad form at the moment. You watch. He will come good again

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Neil Pickup said:
So who is? How many other guys have done that in Australia lately?
No one.

However, the Ashes aren't everything (for the English maybe), and I think that at the moment Mark Trescothick or even Thorpe are better than him. Maybe it's the pressure of being a captain, but he gets himself out way too early IMO.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
halsey said:
:O :O :O

Am I reading this? Vaughan is our best batter, Trescothick 2nd, and Thorpe 3rd
Should have put "at the moment" in bold. Can agree that Thorpe is behind Vaughan though, on second thoughts, but Vaughan is in poor form as you so correctly stated, therefore at the moment behind Trescothick. That could change though.

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Vaughan is, and always will be, a better batter than Trescothick. I'm not dissing Tres, though, 2nd best in England

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
halsey said:
Exactly right about Marcus Trescothick. He was just in bad form against Aus. It also seems to me that he does well against Asain teams, because of their spinners, and he is a very good player of spin.
Funny that, because when he came into the side, he was superb against Pacemen (some of his leaves were superb) - now he's considered a great player of spin.

If only he could do the 2 at the same time...

Craig

World Traveller
The only people who come to mind who are English and have done well in Australia are Mark Butcher (last two series) and Graham Thorpe. Although I have checked the stats so I am not sure.

Paul Adams is over-rated for me as well. He is too inconsistant.

Craig

World Traveller
Neil Pickup said:
Steve Harmison - He tries his arse off. Can you ask for more? It's not as if anyone's calling him a world beater..
Ashley Giles - he's the best spinner in the Country.. nothing more
Steve Harmison - yet to truely preform, against quality opposition.

Ashley Giles - he is the best spinner in England because Engl;and dont have any world class spinners. If you count Robert Damien Bale Croft as England's best spinner, then it is up to you.

Maybe he is the best spinner in England because he is in favour with the selectors?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
Ashley Giles - he is the best spinner in England because Engl;and dont have any world class spinners. If you count Robert Damien Bale Croft as England's best spinner, then it is up to you.
Here's a theory...

Giles is not over rated because..

1/ England do not rate him as a world-class spinner, they rate him as the best spinner in England.
2/ Giles is the best tried spinner in England.

Therefore he's not over rated, he's rated properly.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Don't be fooled, Adams is the best spinner in South Africa (IMO) but he's not rated highly enough on a world-wide scale to be over rated.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Nicky Boje is not as penetrative as Adams. As a containing spinner, he is the pick though, but then again he's an offspinner and Adams is a leggie.

Dominic

Cricket Spectator
James Anderson

England make him out to be their saviour, but he wont last. He's a better one-day bowler than in test matches. I'll never forget him bowling consecutive deliveries: one that barely hit the pitch down the off-side, and one just as bad down the leg-side that went for 4 wides! What a shocker! Matthew Hoggard is up there as well.

And I'm not just picking on the Poms.