• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Overrated Player?

I pulled up his career stats, I wanted to see this performance of his, and I couldn't find any match he had played at Old Trafford.

Gah, upon checking now, I see that Old Trafford is in Manchester! This I did not know, see. :)

Craig

World Traveller
Also with the same names as the other Old Trafford home of Manure.

Bradman had a bad Test, he made 30 dismissed to the mighty bowling of Wally Hamond. Actually Hamond was a pretty decent bowler and Australia bowled like crap to allow England to post over 600.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At what time did I actually rate Ricardo Powell vishnu? Please enlighten me with these undoubtedly plentiful posts.

I have always maintained that Powell is a useful batsman at best who can get the job done in ODI's, but can also fail miserably on occasion. Brilliant fielder though.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
Also with the same names as the other Old Trafford home of Manure.

Bradman had a bad Test, he made 30 dismissed to the mighty bowling of Wally Hamond. Actually Hamond was a pretty decent bowler and Australia bowled like crap to allow England to post over 600.
Alternatively, perhaps England batted well?

Craig

World Traveller
Yeah although credit to Tiger O'Rielly.

The thing is when evever I noticed with Bradman is that when he batted he didnt have a high strike rate with runs and balls, it was over 50, but not as high as I expected, as his runs in terms of times was unbelieveable.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
furious_ged said:
I pulled up his career stats, I wanted to see this performance of his, and I couldn't find any match he had played at Old Trafford.

Gah, upon checking now, I see that Old Trafford is in Manchester! This I did not know, see. :)
What, you didn't trust everyone's favourite uncle?
In a few years, you'll in all likelihood be right - Lancashire have plans to move from Old Trafford (nothing definite yet)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Yeah although credit to Tiger O'Rielly.

The thing is whenever I noticed with Bradman is that when he batted he didnt have a high strike rate with runs and balls, it was over 50, but not as high as I expected, as his runs in terms of times was unbelieveable.
When I started watching test cricket (in the 1960's) there was already plenty of moaning about over rates falling. In the county championship, you were expected to get through an over in 3 minutes including changeovers, yet typically in tests it was 18 (!) an hour.

Ah, those were the days.

People gazed back in history with glassy eyes to the 'golden age' (it's always called that, isn't it?) saying things like "bowlers should be walking back to their mark when the ball is being fielded", "Good God Colonel. Look at the length of his hair! Bally John Snow looks like a girl. He'll never be the new Steve Harmison" and "Another Pimm's, Bunty?"

Craig

World Traveller
That you of all people would of seen the logic when the ICC made it manditory to bowl at least 90 overs in a days play?

I have read people like Sir Len Hutton and Colin Cowdrey were serial time wasters. It saddened me for such great cricketers would do such a thing.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
That you of all people would of seen the logic when the ICC made it manditory to bowl at least 90 overs in a days play?

I have read people like Sir Len Hutton and Colin Cowdrey were serial time wasters. It saddened me for such great cricketers would do such a thing.
That's what you get from reading the Australian press and expecting to find more than a grain of truth there.

Every team does it (even Australians) I well remember the test when Australia were trying their hardest to delay Underwood at the Oval in 1968 (although there was the fall-back of 20 overs in the last hour).

The West Indies did something similar - got through 9 overs in an hour a few years back.

Pakistan v England (played to a finish by street light)

What do you mean me of all people ?

I hate slow over rates. I think 15 is utterly pathetic.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
At what time did I actually rate Ricardo Powell vishnu? Please enlighten me with these undoubtedly plentiful posts.

I have always maintained that Powell is a useful batsman at best who can get the job done in ODI's, but can also fail miserably on occasion. Brilliant fielder though.
I think in the same thread. I just said that he doesn't make use of his oppurtunities when he comes in to bat when quite a number of overs are left or WI are in a tense situation and that WI cannot afford a player just to slog some quick runs ( that too he does it when WI are in a comfortable position ) . You said at that time , that he is doing his job perfectly and not necessary to drop him. Since then he is trying his very best to prove me right :D ;) .

Mr Mxyzptlk

vishnureddy said:
I think in the same thread. I just said that he doesn't make use of his oppurtunities when he comes in to bat when quite a number of overs are left or WI are in a tense situation and that WI cannot afford a player just to slog some quick runs ( that too he does it when WI are in a comfortable position ) . You said at that time , that he is doing his job perfectly and not necessary to drop him. Since then he is trying his very best to prove me right :D ;) .
He is doing his job (slog midlessly) perfectly. I never said that he was any better than that (hence rated him). He's still better than Afridi though.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It'd be interesting to see how many players are named in this thread, and who has the most people who dislike him!

Mr Mxyzptlk

And I'm sure that someone will come along sufficiently lacking a life (coughNeilcough) who will oblige to examine those statistics for you Marc.

Neil Pickup

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
And I'm sure that someone will come along sufficiently lacking a life (coughNeilcough) who will oblige to examine those statistics for you Marc.
*Compares Liam's post count to his own*

*Thinks of the amount of time Liam spends on CWXI/LftA*

*Rests case*

Craig

World Traveller
luckyeddie said:
That's what you get from reading the Australian press and expecting to find more than a grain of truth there.
No actually I read in Sir Garry Sobers autobiography.

I have a lot of respect for you and I enjoy your posts greatly and dont have a problem with you over all, but please dont assume I got everything off the Australian press.

BTW Sobers hails from Barbados.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Interesting to say he wrote about Hutton. They only faced each other once in Test Cricket, and I can't see what benefit Hutton would've derived from slowing that one down (especially since England played 3 spinners.