• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Overrated Player?

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Im agreeing with the comments about Maher being overrated. Like when they were trialing him out for next keeper. I dont THINK so.

In regards to James Anderson, I reckon all young players like that are overrated, but they're still good players. Just not the superstars they sometimes are seen to be by the media, ect.

PY

International Coach
Dominic said:
James Anderson

England make him out to be their saviour, but he wont last. He's a better one-day bowler than in test matches. I'll never forget him bowling consecutive deliveries: one that barely hit the pitch down the off-side, and one just as bad down the leg-side that went for 4 wides! What a shocker! Matthew Hoggard is up there as well.

And I'm not just picking on the Poms.
:rolleyes:

Don't understand how people can have a dig at someone who played almost constant international cricket for 8 months at the age of 20/21 and has only played 7 Tests. Beggars belief. And 5 of those against the second best Test team in the world.

I don't make him out to be our saviour, I wasn't under the impression we needed saving???? He's good, yes. Possibly brilliant but needs a rest and to sort his run-up properly. Still wonder why that happened.....:(

Linda makes a good point about young players being over-rated. People see potential in a player which means people expect results straight away which they won't see. An Australian example is Michael Clarke. You Aussies have seen potential for him to be a great player, with your logic I think he's over-rated because he hasn't blown everyone away and he's played crap a couple of times.

Wait and see is all I can say that means anything I suppose because it's an opinion which I disagree with.

:)

Last edited:
Bit harsh to use Clarke as an example there. Sure he's played crap a couple of times, but everyone does. The fact is the amount of times he has played to his credit, if not brilliantly, far outweigh the times he has misfired. What he has done is take some pressure situations, deal with them to his credit and continue to grow as a player. I don't know how you couldn't be at least slightly impressed with the way he's started.

PY

International Coach
I'm impressed with his start but he hasn't lived up to his potential YET, so therefore he is over-rated.

I can see him being a quality player in the future with a cemented place in the team but not at the moment because he needs time to develop which is my point about Anderson.

(Sorry about using Clarke but couldn't think of anyone young enough near the Aussie Test team :P)

I know you were talking about 'near enough' to the test team, but still, if you're going to compare James Anderson and Michael Clarke's respective potential, and use James Anderson's test career as an example than they are incomparable. Clarke hasn't played a test. Which probably goes to strengthen your point in your view about having potential at the moment and nothing more, but when you're comparing, use common ground :)
Use Anderson's ODI career, in which case Clarke blows him away.

iamdavid

International Debutant
furious_ged said:
Use Anderson's ODI career, in which case Clarke blows him away.
Actually no he dosent.

Anderson - 27 matches , 28 runs@4 (SR-28) , 46 wickets@22 (eco-4.59) , 3 catches.

Clarke - 10 matches , 327 runs@65 (SR-88) , 8 wickets@24 (eco-5.07) , 4 catches.

Clarke is statistically a better allround player , but he's had 10 matches compared to 27 , I'd expect Clarke's averages to even out at around 36 with both bat & ball in ODI's , Anderson , like most quicks his age is erratic & certainly over rated in some quarters , but he's young & learning & lets give him some credit , he's a damn shot better than Harmison:lol:

Hahaha, when Harmison was here he was... Garbage. But he just wasn't ready to take on the role he was expected to. I like the way he just keeps going but, he doesn't get shut down.
Although I'm not sure how he explains an 11 ball over to his captain! :lol:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
The only people who come to mind who are English and have done well in Australia are Mark Butcher (last two series) and Graham Thorpe.
This is Thorpe who didn't play the last series so you have no current basis to rate him over there.

And where's Vaughan in that list?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Dominic said:
James Anderson

England make him out to be their saviour, but he wont last. He's a better one-day bowler than in test matches. I'll never forget him bowling consecutive deliveries: one that barely hit the pitch down the off-side, and one just as bad down the leg-side that went for 4 wides!

He's barely had any growing up before being thrust into International Cricket. He's still young, and has shown a great deal of promise. I'd like to know what basis you can say he won't last on - other bowlers were equally wayward early in their career until they found their feet.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
furious_ged said:
Bit harsh to use Clarke as an example there. Sure he's played crap a couple of times, but everyone does. The fact is the amount of times he has played to his credit, if not brilliantly, far outweigh the times he has misfired. What he has done is take some pressure situations, deal with them to his credit and continue to grow as a player. I don't know how you couldn't be at least slightly impressed with the way he's started.
I think the poster was highlighting the nonsense of Cheaty-Hodge's (sorry, Dominic's) assertion that James Anderson is over-rated as opposed to being a youngster with massive potential.

Clarke (the Michael variety) is another player with tremendous potential.

I can (almost) confidently predict in either case 'they won't last'. Do you know why? Because most players don't.

And as for furious_ged's giggles at the expense of Steve Harmison's 11-ball over, one for him to chew (or choke) on.

Curtly Ambrose once bowled a 15-ball over at the WACA against Australia. Now I know that Curtly was only an occasional bowler, nowhere in the league of Ste.... oh, wait.

Gubby Allen bowled a 13-ball over against Australia at Old Trafford in 1934 - another guy who could bowl a bit.

Graham 'Garth' McKenzie, principal Aussie strike bowler throughout the 1960's, once bowled a 23-ball over in a John Player League game.

Last edited:
Well I'm not that old, certainly not old enough for some of those :lol: They sound like real corkers though.

But isn't it more fun to laugh at Harmison?

PY

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
I think the poster was highlighting the nonsense of Cheaty-Hodge's (sorry, Dominic's) assertion that James Anderson is over-rated as opposed to being a youngster with massive potential.

Clarke (the Michael variety) is another player with tremendous potential.
Indeed I was, think Clarke has made a similar start to Anderson in some ways. Both did really well in ODI to start off with but will he do any better than Anderson at sustaining his good form? Who knows, only time will tell.

Don't think Anderson has been a disaster by any stretch of the imagination but he's had a few set-backs since his good start. Maybe Clarke will have a few set-backs too and bounce back as I'm sure that Anderson will do too.

luckyeddie said:
Gubby Allen bowled a 13-ball over against Australia at Old Trafford in 1934 - another guy who could bowl a bit.
Gubby Allen didn't play Australia at Old Trafford in 1934. He never even played Australia at Old Trafford. In fact, he never played at Old Trafford in his entire test career.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
furious_ged said:
Gubby Allen didn't play Australia at Old Trafford in 1934. He never even played Australia at Old Trafford. In fact, he never played at Old Trafford in his entire test career.
I haven't posted this to make you look stupid.

You didn't need any help fro.... (voice trails into the distance)