• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Overrated Player?

Thelwell

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
What can you find if i say:

Bond is a better bowler than Lee

Vaas is more accurate than McGrath

Sarwan is better than Gayle

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Those are all matters of opinion - one of which I would agree with, one I wouldn't, and one I haven't seen enough of the two to give a credible answer.

Your argument - that Gough was overrated because he took many more tailend wickets than toporder - was presented as corroborating evidence - "fact".

And as for "University Style Investigations" - Five minutes, tops, on HowStat.com...

Craig

World Traveller
I think Darren Lehmann is an over-rated Test batsman.

Besides from injury and being down the pecking order, he has scored his runs against a rubbish bowling from WI and Bangladesh.

Carl Hooper IMO is over-rated.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Craig said:
I think Darren Lehmann is an over-rated Test batsman.

Besides from injury and being down the pecking order, he has scored his runs against a rubbish bowling from WI and Bangladesh.

Lehmann does still have a point to prove against quality bowling , but I have every confidence he'll do that in Sri Lanka & India.

Funny you mention Hooper as he'd be one of the most under rated cricketers in recent memory for me.

A potentially brilliant batsman who never fulfilled his ability , although he was bloody brilliant to watch.
One of the best slip feildsman of the last decade.
A handy off spinner , could be a handfull in real helpful conditions & tie up an end elsewhere.
Plus a pretty good skipper in the circumstances , a role model to all the younger West Indian batsman (Sarwan , Gayle , Samuels).

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
Hooper is one of the biggest underachievers in cricket.....wonderful talent, very stylish, but never played with any consistency.....

Mr Mxyzptlk

I think Hooper is a disappointment, but not over-rated. Many people rate him as a talented underachiever (talented at batting and underachieving), so I don't think you can say he's over-rated.

Mr Mxyzptlk

iamdavid said:
Plus a pretty good skipper in the circumstances , a role model to all the younger West Indian batsman (Sarwan , Gayle , Samuels).
I don't think Hooper was a good captain. A couple of reasons why..

1/ He seemed to go into every game with an attitude not to lose, rather than to try to win.

2/ He allegedly told the best spinner in West Indies cricket that he would not play for the team again, due to a trivial squabble.

In general he seemed a decent guy though and was very determined to succeed when he returned to the team.

Thelwell

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I think Hooper is a disappointment, but not over-rated. Many people rate him as a talented underachiever (talented at batting and underachieving), so I don't think you can say he's over-rated.
I think your spot on. The guy could do no wrong in first class cricket, he was awesome for Lancashire last season. But then he could never do anythin right in international cricket. His captaincy spell was a bit unfortunate as he did have a fair poor team to work with (apart from Lara, Sarwan and chaunderpual), having said that they'd probably got into super 6 in 2003 WC if the one match hadnt been rained off.

Never oer rated, just never delivered. Much like Graeme Hick for england, promised so much but delivered so little.

Craig

World Traveller
And he delieriabilty stuffed Lara up IMO when he lost the captaincy by pulling out of the Guyana Test at the last moment.

I know he wanted to give youngsters a go, fine make that annoucement a week or two before the Test so the selectors would have some knowledge before hand and not pick him, or play in the Test and then say that he wants the youngsters to have a go.

He knew damn well that Sarwan was in doubt for the Test/or ruled out.

PY

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
deliberately?
Apologies to all members of CW.

We now have a grammar fascist on the Staff. As you can tell, he's a bit enthusiastic at the moment. Give him time to settle in.

:P

scud101

Cricket Spectator
Anoop said:
No.1 overrated players are S.Ganguly and VVS Laxman .. no doubt!
Why VVS Laxman? Because he scores heaps and heaps against Australia!?
I don't understand the logic behind people's opinions sometimes.

[LAXMAN ROCKS]

[Peace]:saint: