• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Overrated Player?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FRAZ said:
We all trust you , you have the true knowledge according to you AbdulRazzaq is also overrated.
Depends what you class him as.

As a bits and pieces player he's reasonably good, but he's not much more than that!

iamdavid

International Debutant
Craig said:
I personally think Ian Harvey is over-rated
People have to rate you in the first place if you are to be classified as 'overrated' ;)

I & most other Australian's rate him as a utility player , who can hit you a quick-fire 20 at the end of an innings but wont really do anything when the pressures on & a pretty decent feildsman.
The bowling is handy , but not a great deal more at ODI level , will pick up the odd wicket as he's the bloke they look to target in the Aussie attack , but consequently he always manages to go for a view despite his reputation as one of the more
'economical' trundlers in the land.
So in a way I catch your point about him being overrated.

Damien Martyn

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Brett Lee And Ganguly there both great players and play to there max but people think there superhuman and there ment to hit 6's of every ball or take wickets off every ball there only human you know

FRAZ

International Captain
Damien Martyn said:
Brett Lee And Ganguly there both great players and play to there max but people think there superhuman and there ment to hit 6's of every ball or take wickets off every ball there only human you know
Agreed , I was saying the same thing to some stupid forum members to trust Lee .

agodleman

Cricket Spectator
DAMIEN MARTYN
I cant believe they havent dropped him yet!
Theyre far better off with Lehmann/Katich/Maher/Love/Anyone!

Thelwell

Darren Gough's over rated. Even when he was at his peak he was a bag of bollox. He'd get maybe 1 top 4 bat out then simply clear up the tail. Not exactly legendary compayed to McGrath, Pollock and Vaas who can all take wickets in the top order.

Ntini's hawk too.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Couldn't let that one pass...

Darren Gough: 229 Test Wickets
Top Order (1-3): 88 (38.4%)
Middle Order (4-7): 76 (33.2%)
Tail (8-11): 65 (28.4%)
Estimated Average Position of Wicket: 5.29

Glenn McGrath: 430 Test Wickets
Top Order (1-3): 168 (39.1%)
Middle Order (4-7): 152 (35.3%)
Tail (8-11): 110 (25.6%)
EAPW: 5.16

Sean Pollock: 326 Test Wickets
Top Order (1-3): 116 (35.6%)
Middle Order (4-7): 113 (34.7%)
Tail (8-11): 97 (29.8%)
EAPW: 5.44

Chaminda Vaas: 229 Test Wickets
Top Order (1-3): 89 (38.9%)
Middle Order (4-7): 79 (34.5%)
Tail (8-11): 61 (26.6%)
EAPW: 5.21

Makhaya Ntini: 156 Test Wickets
Top Order (1-3): 52 (33.3%)
Middle Order (4-7): 61 (39.1%)
Tail (8-11): 43 (27.6%)
EAPW: 5.43

I suggest you actually try basing your arguments on facts next time.

Thelwell

You have too much time on your hands my friend.

Neil Pickup said:
Couldn't let that one pass...

Darren Gough: 229 Test Wickets
Estimated Average Position of Wicket: 5.29

Glenn McGrath: 430 Test Wickets
EAPW: 5.16

Sean Pollock: 326 Test Wickets
EAPW: 5.44

Chaminda Vaas: 229 Test Wickets
EAPW: 5.21

I suggest you actually try basing your arguments on facts next time.
Didnt realise the forum required university style investigations before someone could have their say on a subject.

Apart from Pollock my point is correct. Wasn't comparing Ntini to Gough, just dont rate him.

Neil Pickup

The point was there is negligible differences in the way they take their wickets WRT batting positions... another bit of info:

The batsmen that Darren Gough has dismissed most times:

1= Michael Slater & Ricky Ponting (8)
3= Brian Lara, Mark Taylor & Sherwin Campbell (6)

Rabbits all, clearly.

"He'd get maybe 1 top 4 bat out then simply clear up the tail" is a complete untruth.

Thelwell

NOTE TO ALL

In future if you wish to make a comment or give your opinion you MUST have the relevant staistics to back up your thoughts.

Failing to do this you will be ridiculed by a certain web administrator, who at this time shall remain annonymous.

Thank you.

Neil Pickup

Thelwell said:
NOTE TO ALL

In future if you wish to make a comment or give your opinion you MUST have the relevant staistics to back up your thoughts.

Failing to do this you will be ridiculed by a certain web administrator, who at this time shall remain annonymous.

Thank you.
So, to summarise, it's taken two posts for me to comprehensively debunk your argument, so you've resorted to some good old sniping.

In case you've missed the point, this is a discussion forum and it is for we fellow members - yes, we moderators/staff are cricket fans, too - to dispute that with which we disagree.

PY

International Coach
Originally posted by Thelwell edited by PY
NOTE TO ALL

In future if you wish to make a comment or give your opinion you SHOULD have the relevant argument to back up your thoughts.

If not, you are subject to people disagreeing with you including Staff Members and Moderators.

Thank you.

Thelwell

I do not thave suffient statistical data to resond to this post.

Apologises.

The medal for your valiant and quite brilliant "debunking" is in the post.