• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most overrated cricketer

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kane Williamson. Took people ages to admit he was an htb.
Greg Chappell. Not a top 20 batsman of all time
Mohammad Asif. His bowling was ***y but he wasn't all that on flat decks.
Ryan harris. Basically an Australian zaheer khan who didn't get picked when he was crap.
Dravid (by a few very weird sections of Indian fans)
Kallis as an all rounder

shortpitched713

International Captain
Harold Larwood.

And before people think I don't respect cricket from that era, I think Donald Bradman was the GOAT of both cricket and the most anomolously GOATed athlete in any sport ever invented.

There's such a mythologizing around that Bodyline tour, that I think we tend to lose some of the bigger picture. One great series does not an all-time great bowler make, nor does one "decent" series, a GOATed batsman besmirch. And to say otherwise in an attempt to either reduce Bradman, or elevate Larwood, simply doesn't logically follow.

The truth of Larwood, is that he was horribly inconsistent in his Test career outside of that series. Quick, scary, and a particularly well suited instrument to wield a novel strategy, yes. A "great" bowler in any sense of the term that we judge by these days, no.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Harold Larwood.

And before people think I don't respect cricket from that era, I think Donald Bradman was the GOAT of both cricket and the most anomolously GOATed athlete in any sport ever invented.

There's such a mythologizing around that Bodyline tour, that I think we tend to lose some of the bigger picture. One great series does not an all-time great bowler make, nor does one "decent" series, a GOATed batsman besmirch. And to say otherwise in an attempt to either reduce Bradman, or elevate Larwood, simply doesn't logically follow.

The truth of Larwood, is that he was horribly inconsistent in his Test career outside of that series. Quick, scary, and a particularly well suited instrument to wield a novel strategy, yes. A "great" bowler in any sense of the term that we judge by these days, no.
I think that when people rate Larwood highly, they usually do so on the strength of his first class career, which at the time wasn't seen as a step below tests like it is now.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Harold Larwood.

Can't agree. I'd put him in an ATG England XI.

shortpitched713

International Captain
I think that when people rate Larwood highly, they usually do so on the strength of his first class career, which at the time wasn't seen as a step below tests like it is now.
While 17.51 is a fair sight better than the 28.35 that is his Test career, it still begs the question, why could he never translate that performance to Tests? His pre-bodyline tests were during his prime, and 16 tests is far from being able to say "he didn't get a run".

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
Mayank Agarwal over rated cricketer
Who had 2 test DBL century in the past but now he sold out in IPL Auction for 8+ Crore which he not deserve.

Players should selects with their present Form than what he did in the past.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shane Warne
Fantastic in Australia and England but can you really be the best spinner of all time with such an appalling record in India - the home of spin - 34 wkts at 43 a piece.

FORTYTHREE
O
R
T
Y
T
H
R
E
E
You can if your chief protagonist for the title averages 70 in another country, making 43 seem like the output of SF Barnes

S E V E N T Y
V
E
N
T
Y

the big bambino

International Captain
Harold Larwood.

Yeah but people play both sides of the street with earlier eras. Not enough tests - can't rate them; unless its negative. Larwood basically won 2 series against Australia down under. Considering the small number of tests played then its not a bad effort.

And Rhino's a legend.

Coronis

International Coach
Yeah but people play both sides of the street with earlier eras. Not enough tests - can't rate them; unless its negative. Larwood basically won 2 series against Australia down under. Considering the small number of tests played then its not a bad effort.

And Rhino's a legend.
Sorry, what two series is he meant to have won?