• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most overrated cricketer

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I completely agree, I am indeed an imbecile

That doesn't make Anderson actually good though
And this is exactly what happens on CW which gives the more mentally challenged here the opinion the JA is overated.

Muppet makes a comment that he's no good, me, GIMH or any other English poster with an ounce of brains challenges said muppet in an attempt to prove that y'know......he really is a very good bowler and a 20 year career, 675 wickets and still knocking them over aged 40 realy is quite special.........muppet then claims we're saying he's the bowling equivalent of Bradman.

Happy New Year......and **** off.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
And this is exactly what happens on CW which gives the more mentally challenged here the opinion the JA is overated.

Muppet makes a comment that he's no good, me, GIMH or any other English poster with an ounce of brains challenges said muppet in an attempt to prove that y'know......he really is a very good bowler and a 20 year career, 675 wickets and still knocking them over aged 40 realy is quite special.........muppet then claims we're saying he's the bowling equivalent of Bradman.

Happy New Year......and **** off.
Stay classy

Howe_zat

Audio File
When current cricketers and commentators talk about all time stuff they aren’t usually giving people like Barnes and Hobbs any sort of thought at all. They are just thinking about the players they can remember. It’s just a different way of looking at that claim to what the average CWer would.

During lockdown, the Lord’s/MCC YouTube channel published dozens of videos asking players to name some all time XIs. They pretty universally name players from that players’ lifetime with only a handful of exceptions. Don Bradman barely gets a look in.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I am not a fan of rating players I did not see. I think, as a guy who has been watching cricket seriously since about 1990, he is the best English bowler I have seen. Being the best bowler your country has produced over a period of 30 odd years still counts for something, I guess.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jimmy Anderson. He’s good but taking more career wickets than McGrath and Marshall does not mean he’s in their class as a quick, and there’s about 200 others better than him through history.
Hard to disagree with this tbh. Massive effort to play as long as he has though.

shortpitched713

International Captain
I mean, look at his competition.
Bob Willis the only one I can think of with consistency over a meaningful length career. The problem with England isn't that they've never had great bowlers in recent decades, but just few or none besides Anderson have really been able to maintain that great level.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There’s no better CW wind up these days than having a crack at Anderson. The england fans react like the Tendulkar fan bois back in the day.

peterhrt

U19 Vice-Captain
Just a casual think about it (based on stats I noticed recently) but why is Denis Compton rated so highly compared to other notable HTB’s? Is it partly nostalgia and style based? I only ask cos I noticed recently he has one of the biggest home/away record disparities amongst 50+ batsmen (60 @ home in 47 tests, 39 away in 31 tests).

For example, in that recent CW voting for the top 50 batsmen, Compton ranked 24th, Mohammad Yousuf (65 home in 32 tests, 44 away in 55 tests) didn’t even make the top 50.
Compton had a very high peak, in terms of batting quality as well as runs. But due to the war and a knee injury picked up playing football for Arsenal, it only lasted around five years. During the first of those he was stationed in India, playing ten first-class matches and scoring 1306 runs.

The generation who returned to English cricket grounds after the war swore that Compton gave them more pleasure than any other cricketer. It wasn't so much style as improvisation and a carefree approach that resonated perfectly with the times. He was probably the first to make the sweep shot consistently effective. Nostalgia came into it.

That carefree approach had its downsides. To say Compton enjoyed an evening out would be an understatement. On tour it was not unusual for him to take the field the worse for wear. And most of his tours occurred after he was past his best. He was also a dreadful runner between the wickets.

But most of those who actually saw him play place him among the top half dozen English batsmen.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
anderson averages in the 30s in australia, south africa, new zealand and sri lanka and nearly 30 in india as well...a lot of holes for a player who has played as long as he has, his longevity and improvement in latter years is truly impressive but difficult to classify him as an atg...

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
anderson averages in the 30s in australia, south africa, new zealand and sri lanka and nearly 30 in india as well...a lot of holes for a player who has played as long as he has, his longevity and improvement in latter years is truly impressive but difficult to classify him as an atg...
It's harsh to say Anderson's record has alot of holes.

For my money Jimmy is an ATG in English conditions. His record of 429 wkts at under 24 is very very good.

Away from home he has a very decent record - 224 wkts at 31 is not too shabby but it's difficult to say he's an ATG bowler with that record.