• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most overrated cricketer

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
While 17.51 is a fair sight better than the 28.35 that is his Test career, it still begs the question, why could he never translate that performance to Tests? His pre-bodyline tests were during his prime, and 16 tests is far from being able to say "he didn't get a run".
Read his bio.

Guy was shunned by the English establishment after the Bodyline series as a scapegoat to maintain relations. Was in his prime.

subshakerz

International Coach
Jimmy Anderson. He’s good but taking more career wickets than McGrath and Marshall does not mean he’s in their class as a quick, and there’s about 20 others better than him through history.
Who rates him that high?

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Captain
Jimmy Anderson. He’s good but taking more career wickets than McGrath and Marshall does not mean he’s in their class as a quick, and there’s about 20 others better than him through history.
Really good bowler but he has got to where he is due to longevity. He isn't in the Marshall, Akram, Younis, Ambrose, Walsh, McGrath type level.

Coronis

International Coach
Just a casual think about it (based on stats I noticed recently) but why is Denis Compton rated so highly compared to other notable HTB’s? Is it partly nostalgia and style based? I only ask cos I noticed recently he has one of the biggest home/away record disparities amongst 50+ batsmen (60 @ home in 47 tests, 39 away in 31 tests).

For example, in that recent CW voting for the top 50 batsmen, Compton ranked 24th, Mohammad Yousuf (65 home in 32 tests, 44 away in 55 tests) didn’t even make the top 50.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Yousuf is a bit of an anomaly, and an unfair comparison. I've advocated for Yousuf before on the basis of having a year peak that was genuinely otherworldly, but I've had to reconsider my opinion of him due to the fact that he was only a good to occasionally very good batsman for the rest of it.

Honestly, I don't think we really bash hometrack, or even flattrack bullies all that much. It was a fashion due to certain players being especially egregious, in a period of especially flat pitches, but I think it's going back more to a simple acceptance of runs being runs, as usually all the best players simply perform better in more favorable conditions anyway. But that's just my perception.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
This is such a dumb post on so many levels. No one that has half a clue on the game rates JA in McGrath or Marshall class. Just because you've seen some **** YouTube or Facebook comments to that affect does not mean he's overrated and frankly you've got to be some kind of idiot to take opinions from those sorts of platforms and bring them here to make a point.

You won't find much better cricketing knowledge than we've got right here on CW on any online platform. And it's my opinion that right here Jimmy Anderson is massively underrated.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
This is such a dumb post on so many levels. No one that has half a clue on the game rates JA in McGrath or Marshall class. Just because you've seen some **** YouTube or Facebook comments to that affect does not mean he's overrated and frankly you've got to be some kind of idiot to take opinions from those sorts of platforms and bring them here to make a point.

You won't find much better cricketing knowledge than we've got right here on CW on any online platform. And it's my opinion that right here Jimmy Anderson is massively underrated.
I've read and heard many reputable cricketing brains call Anderson "England's greatest bowler" thus better than Barnes and therefore in the McGrath/Marshall class. I think he has gone past Underwood and Snow and is perhaps England's best since Trueman.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I've read and heard many reputable cricketing brains call Anderson "England's greatest bowler" thus better than Barnes and therefore in the McGrath/Marshall class.
Thats a really long bow your drawing there......675 test wickets does make a strong case for him being England's "greatest".......in no way does the infer that he's the best or put him in the same class as those bowlers.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England's greatest bowler is a really hard question.

i have had a couple so im gonna commit to trueman.
It probably is Barnes, but it's hard to include someone who played way back in the early 1900s, so I'd probably say Fred Trueman too.