• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke - all hype, no performance

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
I think a lot of people don't rate Ponting (including his wife) because of his early thrusting.

I can think of only one reason for this affliction; he was bowled off-stump a lot during his formative years. Take this prematue misgiving out of the equation and we may have had the #1 batsman of his generation. As it stands he's probably what, # 3 after Lara and ST.
Ponting is #4, Dravid is ahead of him by a whisker as well...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Depends what you mean by "his generation". Personally, I rate Lara, Waugh and Tendulkar (in that order, I'd say) the best batsmen of the 90s. Dravid, Ponting and Kallis are the best of the next generation.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Gayle's technique looks a lot "worse", as such, because of what happens after he hits the ball. At the point of contact, he (and it's the same with Trescothick) tends to be is really balanced at the point of contact.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
FaaipDeOiad said:
Depends what you mean by "his generation". Personally, I rate Lara, Waugh and Tendulkar (in that order, I'd say) the best batsmen of the 90s. Dravid, Ponting and Kallis are the best of the next generation.
Depends when the 'new generation' cut-off is.

Lara, Tendulkar and S. Waugh were definitely the 3 best in the 90s in my view, but whilst Waugh and Tendulkar (post 2003) have fallen off/retired, Lara has carried on into this new generation along with Dravid, Kallis and Ponting. He's one of the best in both generations, which makes him so unbelievably brilliant.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
You're quite right, I just think of Tendulkar, Lara and Waugh as the batsmen that dominated the 90s, while Ponting, Kallis and Dravid achieved more quietly and came into their own after the end of the decade, so I consider them a different generation of great batsmen.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
It's tricky this. Waugh was batting for Aus in '85, okay he was a late bloomer but I still consider him old guard. Of the newish breed for me it's ST, BCL (the game is easier for lefties) then Drunky. All subjective of course. Oh, I suppose Kallis should get a mention :huh: maybe Drunky 4 then I dunno, we can start going on about Thorpe et al.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
It's tricky this. Waugh was batting for Aus in '85, okay he was a late bloomer but I still consider him old guard. Of the newish breed for me it's ST, BCL (the game is easier for lefties) then Drunky. All subjective of course. Oh, I suppose Kallis should get a mention :huh: maybe Drunky 4 then I dunno, we can start going on about Thorpe et al.
Yeah, but Waugh's peak was 95 or so, and that was the same time Lara and Tendulkar were at their best or relatively close to it. Similarly, Ponting, David and Kallis all peaked around... well 2003-2005.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah I agree Faaip. Waugh isn't remembered for what he did in the 80s, its when he came into his own in the 90s alongside Sachin and Lara (Which makes MRF having all 3 of those signed up to use their bats amazing and what made me go out and buy one :p).

I mean, when we think of the best batsmen of the 80s I don't think S. Waugh is brought up all too often.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Top_Cat said:
Never miss an opportunity to say 'Clarke sucks', eh? I think your dislike of him is almost pathological. Get help. Really.

I mean here we are talking about Ponting and the way in which you support him and his technique is to bring up what you dislike about Clarke's, also bearing in mind the almost clockwork timing you have whenever there's anything bad to be said about Clarke?
I don't hate Clarke, I just hate the way people go on about how he's the next Bradman, he has some technical flaws. So he can't be critisised? Why do we always have to say this that and the other, but he's young?

Let's look at the facts. The guy gets into the test side with a first class average of barely 40, why? Because he plays a couple of good innings and he's from N.S.W. (You can debate my hatred for N.S.W. all you like but it's a fact that players from N.S.W. have got a helping hand from the media for decades now).

We go and critisise Hayden for not scoring a centrury in a calendar year, now Clarke is in that situation but doesn't face the same scrutiny why?

Mister Wright

Top_Cat said:
No-one brought up Clarke until he did. Just wasn't relevant. I guess I get tired of people who's only way to form any sort of argument is to bag the crap out of players. Y'know, real people, not athletic robots who never make mistakes, show vulnerability, etc.

The reason why the comparison between Clarke and Ponting was brought up was because pelple on here have been saying that there is nothing wrong with his technique, which there is. You just happened to bring up Ponting, so I did a comparison, the comparison of Clarke had nothing to do with your post.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Mister Wright said:
We go and critisise Hayden for not scoring a centrury in a calendar year, now Clarke is in that situation but doesn't face the same scrutiny why?
1 Age
2 Hayden just doesn look very impressive with his batting atm..

Mister Wright

Eclipse said:
1 Age
2 Hayden just doesn look very impressive with his batting atm..
1. Age should have nothing to do with it. A Batsman is a batsman and needs to perform whether they are 23 or 33.

2. Neither does Clarke unless you're at some grade cricket ground on a Saturday.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Mister Wright said:
Neither does Clarke unless you're at some grade cricket ground on a Saturday.
He looks better than Haydem..

I can't stand watching Hayden bat especialy in one day cricket atm... he's so slow can't pick the gaps and if the ball isn't there to hit a boundry off he can't score.

Son Of Coco

Mister Wright said:
I don't hate Clarke, I just hate the way people go on about how he's the next Bradman, he has some technical flaws. So he can't be critisised? Why do we always have to say this that and the other, but he's young?

Let's look at the facts. The guy gets into the test side with a first class average of barely 40, why? Because he plays a couple of good innings and he's from N.S.W. (You can debate my hatred for N.S.W. all you like but it's a fact that players from N.S.W. have got a helping hand from the media for decades now).

I won't debate your hatred of N.S.W, I just don't put too much credence on the idea that 'the media picks the team'. QLD media sources are just as one-eyed in their support of everything maroon, yet apparently this has no effect...why?

You never miss a chance to push for a QLD entry to the team though, and that has to be admired I suppose...

Mister Wright

Eclipse said:
He looks better than Haydem..

I can't stand watching Hayden bat especialy in one day cricket atm... he's so slow can't pick the gaps and if the ball isn't there to hit a boundry off he can't score.

Well, that's just ridiculous. Fair enough Hayden didn't reach his potential in ODI cricket, but he still did average over 40 which is very good for a one day opener. He was far from slow, and he didn't need to go at a rocketing pace, because Gilchrist was at the other end. He dominated the Mur****ile Mutual Cup for well over 3 seasons, scoring centuries at will, and in quick time also.

Mister Wright

Son Of Coco said:
I won't debate your hatred of N.S.W, I just don't put too much credence on the idea that 'the media picks the team'. QLD media sources are just as one-eyed in their support of everything maroon, yet apparently this has no effect...why?

You never miss a chance to push for a QLD entry to the team though, and that has to be admired I suppose...
Hmm..let's see...Brett Lee is selected for Australia after a handful of games based on what...pace! If he was from any other state he wouldn't have had a look in. Same with Michael Clarke. Name one player, young or not that has been selected with an average under 40 in the last decade.