• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke - all hype, no performance

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
Yet in fairly pace-friendly conditions in England he played 90+ mph seamers better than Hayden, Katich, Gilchrist and Martyn.
He still only averaged 37. Forget the fact that he batted better than the other batsman, they were all terrible and shouldn't be a measure for judgement of Michael Clarke's performances. You are a good observer of the game of cricket, and it has dumbfounded me why you continue to rate Clarke's technique when it is obviously flawed against the pace bowlers.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Mister Wright said:
Yet again Clarke fails...nobody except me is surprised.
Not sure this came out entirely right... :)

But yeah, there would have to be some concerns amongst the selectors about the brittle-looking middle order since Martyn got the heave-ho. And Clarke is looking a little vulnerable. I think his problems can be resolved with more mental application though.

Mister Wright

Slow Love™ said:
Not sure this came out entirely right... :)

But yeah, there would have to be some concerns amongst the selectors about the brittle-looking middle order since Martyn got the heave-ho. And Clarke is looking a little vulnerable. I think his problems can be resolved with more mental application though.
Lol, yeah, poor choice of phrasing on my part. Clarke's problem's are technical as well as mental.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
He still only averaged 37. Forget the fact that he batted better than the other batsman, they were all terrible and shouldn't be a measure for judgement of Michael Clarke's performances. You are a good observer of the game of cricket, and it has dumbfounded me why you continue to rate Clarke's technique when it is obviously flawed against the pace bowlers.
Because I don't think his technique is particularly flawed against pace bowlers, I think his temprament is, and they are different problems. Hayden and indeed Ponting have fairly poor techniques against pace bowling. Both make up for it by being unbelievably strong in their strengths (Hayden's drives, Ponting's leg side shots, especially pulls) and having good mental application. Clarke has superb footwork, and is generally quite organised against pace bowling. He's not as good as say Watson or Blewett technically, but he's not anywhere near as flawed as people make out. He does however lose concentration terribly and do things which appear to be technically flawed, like failing to get behind the ball, and playing with his wrists well away from his body and his head in the wrong position. He doesn't do this all the time however, and if you watch him when he gets a start, like many of the 30 odd scores me made in the Ashes, he really looks very good most of the time and then has a lapse.

I think he's definately worth persisting with for this reason. His Ashes series was decent (not great, but not a droppable series either), and I think he should be left this season at least to see how he goes. If his mental problems continue, fine, send him back to NSW for a while, but he's not been a dismal failure and he has heaps of potential, so I support his inclusion for now.

Last edited:

Mister Wright

FaaipDeOiad said:
Because I don't think his technique is particularly flawed against pace bowlers, I think his temprament is, and they are different problems. Hayden and indeed Ponting have fairly poor techniques against pace bowling. Both make up for it by being unbelievably strong in their strengths (Hayden's drives, Ponting's leg side shots, especially pulls) and having good mental application. Clarke has superb footwork, and is generally quite organised against pace bowling. He's not as good as say Watson or Blewett technically, but he's not anywhere near as flawed as people make out. He does however lose concentration terribly and do things which appear to be technically floored, like failing to get behind the ball, and playing with his wrists well away from his body and his head in the wrong position. He doesn't do this all the time however, and if you watch him when he gets a start, like many of the 30 odd scores me made in the Ashes, he really looks very good most of the time and then has a lapse.

I think he's definately worth persisting with for this reason. His Ashes series was decent (not great, but not a droppable series either), and I think he should be left this season at least to see how he goes. If his mental problems continue, fine, send him back to NSW for a while, but he's not been a dismal failure and he has heaps of potential, so I support his inclusion for now.
All good points, however you are confusing 'mental lapses' with technical flaws. He plays away from his body all the time. It doesn't matter as much against the spinners because his footwork is unbelieveable against them and can cover up his problems with his hands. However when he plays the paceman he only comes half-forward which is the reason why he has been out bowled and LBW a lot lately. It also means his going to nick more balls than he should. He's not a classical nicker like a Martin Love or Matthew Elliot who tend to do it driving, Clarke does it just hanging his bat out because he doesn't get into the right position to play the ball.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Yet in fairly pace-friendly conditions in England he played 90+ mph seamers better than Hayden, Katich, Gilchrist and Martyn.
Were the conditions that helpful to the bowlers during the Ashes? Lord's apart, it was usually hard work for the quicks unless they could reverse it. Clarke's main claim to fame at present seems to be his newfound status as Harmison's bunny, which puts him in a highly select group in 2005.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
wpdavid said:
Were the conditions that helpful to the bowlers during the Ashes? Lord's apart, it was usually hard work for the quicks unless they could reverse it. Clarke's main claim to fame at present seems to be his newfound status as Harmison's bunny, which puts him in a highly select group in 2005.
They weren't that helpful, but there was conventional swing at times, and the more abrasive wickets suited the reverse of Jones and Flintoff. And on most of the wickets when there was cloud cover there was a bit of life in the pitch. Plus, he faced largely very good fast bowling in that series, and certainly wasn't a failure.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
They weren't that helpful, but there was conventional swing at times, and the more abrasive wickets suited the reverse of Jones and Flintoff. And on most of the wickets when there was cloud cover there was a bit of life in the pitch. Plus, he faced largely very good fast bowling in that series, and certainly wasn't a failure.
Sure - I'm not saying for a minute he should be axed. And as you mentioned earlier, he did rather better than more experienced campaigners like Hayden, Martyn & Gilchrist. But I have seen far more helpful conditions in previous years, and I still don't think he made the most of them. From an English viewpoint, I thought he had the handy knack of getting out when set, so maybe there's a concentration issue.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
wpdavid said:
Sure - I'm not saying for a minute he should be axed. And as you mentioned earlier, he did rather better than more experienced campaigners like Hayden, Martyn & Gilchrist. But I have seen far more helpful conditions in previous years, and I still don't think he made the most of them. From an English viewpoint, I thought he had the handy knack of getting out when set, so maybe there's a concentration issue.
That's pretty much my opinion as well. In the Ashes, Clarke batted 9 times, and passed 25 on 7 occasions, for one score of 50 and one 91. That's a terrible conversion rate, but it shows that he got a start almost every time. One of the two sub-25 scores was when he had been bedridden until a couple of hours before batting as well. Clarke's problem is his temprament and concentration, not his ability or his technique.

howardj

International Coach
Yeah my take on Clarkie is that he gets satisfied when he gets to 30. Every person who observes the game knows that as soon as you make about 30 or above, then you pretty much didn't fail - it seems to be the cut off point, or the yardstick. I think Michael Clarke is very aware of this too. He tends to relax when he gets to 30, as though he has kept the wolves from the door for another innings. This is reflected in his career goal which, quite incredibly, is not to get dropped.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
That's pretty much my opinion as well. In the Ashes, Clarke batted 9 times, and passed 25 on 7 occasions, for one score of 50 and one 91. That's a terrible conversion rate, but it shows that he got a start almost every time. One of the two sub-25 scores was when he had been bedridden until a couple of hours before batting as well. Clarke's problem is his temprament and concentration, not his ability or his technique.
I wonder how much that's a consequence of the relatively easy picking generally available in test cricket nowadays, what with the bowlers & pitches on display.

open365

International Vice-Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Because I don't think his technique is particularly flawed against pace bowlers, I think his temprament is, and they are different problems. Hayden and indeed Ponting have fairly poor techniques against pace bowling. Both make up for it by being unbelievably strong in their strengths (Hayden's drives, Ponting's leg side shots, especially pulls) and having good mental application. Clarke has superb footwork, and is generally quite organised against pace bowling. He's not as good as say Watson or Blewett technically, but he's not anywhere near as flawed as people make out. He does however lose concentration terribly and do things which appear to be technically flawed, like failing to get behind the ball, and playing with his wrists well away from his body and his head in the wrong position. He doesn't do this all the time however, and if you watch him when he gets a start, like many of the 30 odd scores me made in the Ashes, he really looks very good most of the time and then has a lapse.

i can't believe your saying Ponting has a bad technique against pace bowling.

sure,he falls over to the off side a lot but bowlers rarely seen to capitalize on this and he is so quick that the faster people bowl,the faster it flighs off the bat.

tooextracool

International Coach
open365 said:

sure,he falls over to the off side a lot but bowlers rarely seen to capitalize on this and he is so quick that the faster people bowl,the faster it flighs off the bat.
have you seen ponting bat? his technique looks susceptible to almost all forms of bowling, and its a credit to him that hes managed to succeed with such a technique.

tooextracool

International Coach
wpdavid said:
Were the conditions that helpful to the bowlers during the Ashes? Lord's apart, it was usually hard work for the quicks unless they could reverse it.
the ball swung conventionally a hell of a lot at Trent Bridge

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
open365 said:

I don't think his technique is woeful, and once he gets set he usually tightens it up a bit, but he certainly does have a few problems. It's his amazing eye, his timing, his mental application and his ability to absolutely murder anything in his comfort zone that make him such an accomplished player of pace bowling. Technique isn't everything by a long shot, and the fact that Darren Ganga has a better technique against pace bowling doesn't mean that he's particularly great, while Ponting is slightly flawed and is probably the best player in the world of pace, alongside Kallis.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
the ball swung conventionally a hell of a lot at Trent Bridge
Yeah, that's why I said conditions were *usually* tough for the quicks apart from Lord's. That being said, did it swing all through the TB test? I know it did at the start of Aus' 1st innings, but it seemed much easier 2nd time around.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
have you seen ponting bat? his technique looks susceptible to almost all forms of bowling, and its a credit to him that hes managed to succeed with such a technique.
If the above is actually believable, then it's nothing short of a miracle he's scored so many runs. IF it's believable.

Mister Wright

Top_Cat said:
If the above is actually believable, then it's nothing short of a miracle he's scored so many runs. IF it's believable.
Exactly. The difference between Ponting and Clarke is that Clarke's hands are well away from his body, which causes him all sorts of problems especially to balls pitched up which means he plays across the line and the shortish ball outside offstump which means he pokes at the ball.

Ponting does look unbalanced early, and that is the time to get him, but once he's in everything starts to click. The reason why Clarke often gets out after a start is because he's always playing the same, from ball one. His technique is terrible, whereas Ponting plays with hands close to his body, which means once he gets his balance right, it's all good for him.

tooextracool

International Coach
Top_Cat said:
other than the blatantly obvious flaw of falling over early on in his innings, ponting also plays with extremely hard hands, doesnt play with a straight bat, and tends to play away from his body. however when you consider that marcus trescothick and chris gayle have scored plenty of runs with far worse techniques its not particularly surprising that ponting has done the same. it is however almost a miracle that hes managed to score in seamer friendly conditions all over the world.