• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke - all hype, no performance

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No but I'm asking a question, obviously I understand what you are saying is an over-reaction.
More like a mickey-take.

Much as I'd like to believe otherwise (would explain the lack of opportunities for some SA players!), I don't think there's anywhere near enough evidence to support the contention of systematic bias against players from other states.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mister Wright said:
Qld only have one paper, and nobody listen's to what Qld journalists have to say. N.S.W. have a few more papers and a lot more players down there. The only time the Qld media has had anything to do with getting one of their players in the team is when The Sunday Mail put a page in the paper and got everyone to fax Matt Hayden's statistics to The ACB.

Btw, when I was doing my journalism degree I did research on Sydney's media having success in getting their players in the team, and there is plenty of stuff out there to back it up, so this isn't just one Qlder clutching at straws.
QLD only have one paper? Hmmm, what have I been reading then? Why do people pay more attention to NSW journalists? The second part of that sentence might actually lead to a more logical conclusion as to why more NSW players get picked...and I quote 'N.S.W have a lot more players down there'.

You can research pretty much anything and find sources to back up your hypothesis, it's whether that research's findings are actually significant or not that is important.

I believe you're not just one QLDer clutching at straws though mate, there's thousands of you, usually clutching at the same straw. :p

Hazza

U19 Cricketer
Top_Cat said:
More like a mickey-take.

Much as I'd like to believe otherwise (would explain the lack of opportunities for some SA players!), I don't think there's anywhere near enough evidence to support the contention of systematic bias against players from other states.
I apologise if you interpretated my question incorrectly.

tooextracool

International Coach
Eclipse said:
What is wrong with his techneque apart from the obvious things we all know about? What shot does he look valnerable playing? I think he has improved against spin bowling quite a bit as well or though he needs to prove himself in India, but look at his play of Murili for example.
he looks vulnerable to both the ball coming into him as well as the ball going away from him, particularly early on in his innings.

Eclipse said:
True but Ponting plays his shots with alot better techneque than those two and he can play on seaming wickets which he has proven.. something that those two havn't done.
yes and i havent disputed that his technique isnt better than either gayle or trescothick, and i know that he has succeeded on seaming wickets. ive just said that its taken remarkable character for him to suceed on those wickets despite not having a very good technique against pace.

tooextracool

International Coach
Top_Cat said:
Exactly. So explain Ponting's success in bowler-friendly conditions other than in India. Luck and miracles don't count.
im sorry what? i think you've misread the point ive been trying to make. my point is that pontings success on seamer friendly conditions is not due to technique but because of a very good eye and good temperament. his technique is just about good enough for him to succeed on seamer friendly wickets considering all his other qualities as a player. tresco and gayle on the other hand have such horrible techniques, that despite a very good eye in both cases, and a good temperament in trescos case, it still doesnt help either of them succeed on seamer friendly wickets

Top_Cat said:
So now it's 'very ordinary'............ Really, this is getting crazy. All of the things you're talking about (hard hands, shuffling across, etc.) only happen early in Ponting's innings'. Once he's set, he plays with excellent soft-hands. In all of his dismissals in India in 2001 (and trust me, I watched every tortured moment), they got him early because he really isn't a great starter much like Dean Jones wasn't. But as he showed in a losing Test series in SL previous to that one and in just about every other country in the world, once he's in, he's fine. The shuffle across disappears, the hands get softer.
the 'shuffle across' does not disappear, and its glaringly obvious. yes it becomes less prominent as his innings progresses, but it still exists . however once he starts to get his eye in, he tends to hit that ball more often than he misses it.

Top_Cat said:
As for Chris Gayle; his technique isn't as abysmal as you make it out to be. Relative to other pure technicians, maybe it's not as good, but if there's one thing you can assume about anyone playing for any of the major Test-playing nations is that their core technique is at least 'very good'. Trust me, bad technique will not see you even selected for ONE Test for any country (other than the obvious minnows) no matter how naturally gifted you are. It simply doesn't happen.
how is it possible for any batsman's technique to be too much worse than gayles? no footwork and poor body position, along with mindless slogging. and believe it or not you can be selected for any country in the world despite having a horrible technique, because your temperament, eye and other qualities makes you into a decent enough player to score a few runs in domestic cricket.

Top_Cat said:
I can only assume from your designation of Test-level players' techniques as 'a joke', etc. that you've never faced decent (grade-level) bowlers. Trust me, without a very good grasp of technique, even they will chew you up, let alone Test-level bowlers. You won't understand until you face guys who can put the ball in the corridor 5 times an over and move the ball around. Really. The biggest difference as you move up the levels isn't that bowlers bowl heaps more excellent deliveries; you just get fewer bad deliveries. That's why you need to game to combat that or you won't last.
players with a good eye dont need technique to succeed against poor bowling on flat wickets, that i can assure you off. theres a major difference though between a poor technique and an ordinary technique, and as such a player with a poor technique will by and large be clueless on seaming wickets at the intl level, while the player with the ordinary technique can succeed on seaming wickets assuming he applies himself.

Top_Cat said:
im not sure what these pictures are supposed to prove, because i think the best way to analyze someones technique is by looking at videos. pictures can make anybody look good.

tooextracool

International Coach
age_master said:
i have to say Ponting must be rubbish, test batting average of 55.29 with 7409 runs and 23 Hundreds and 29 50's at a SR just under 60, i mean lets face it, anyone could do that
and whos ever said that ponting is rubbish?
rubbish in india maybe, but rubbish overall? no

Eclipse

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
he looks vulnerable to both the ball coming into him as well as the ball going away from him, particularly early on in his innings.
Eearly in his innings if the bowling is good yes, however once he set i would disagree compleatly.

yes and i havent disputed that his technique isnt better than either gayle or trescothick, and i know that he has succeeded on seaming wickets. ive just said that its taken remarkable character for him to suceed on those wickets despite not having a very good technique against pace.
For a start who else here thinks he has a poor techneque? am I right in thinking you're the only one?

It's not the best in the world but it is good IMO.. and that's just what your's is too, an opinion which is just as likely to be wrong as mine

tooextracool

International Coach
Eclipse said:
For a start who else here thinks he has a poor techneque? am I right in thinking you're the only one?
i said it was ordinary,not that it was poor. i think there'd be a fair few people who'd agree with me on that, not like i care particularly if they werent. i dont believe that you you must have a good technique to succeed at the international level, and i think players like gary kirsten have proved that to use plenty of times.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
tooextracool said:
the 'shuffle across' does not disappear
Doesn't matter what you do before the ball is bowled. Ponting is USUALLY still when the ball is bowled, and so the end result is the same as anyone who doesn't have a shuffle. Shuffling across means stuff all.

open365

International Vice-Captain
tresco and gayle on the other hand have such horrible techniques, that despite a very good eye in both cases, and a good temperament in trescos case, it still doesnt help either of them succeed on seamer friendly wickets
Gayle's is horrible yes,but Trescothick's has a great technique.

he doesn't move his feet,but his balance is terrific and he allways plays of a solid base with his head in line with the ball.

Watching him this year,he looks to have sorted out his problem with balls outside the off-stump so he's looks pretty sound.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
open365 said:

he doesn't move his feet,but his balance is terrific and he allways plays of a solid base with his head in line with the ball.

Watching him this year,he looks to have sorted out his problem with balls outside the off-stump so he's looks pretty sound.
Solid base - yes.

Head in line of the ball - rarely. His head is in line with off stump all the time.

Eclipse

International Debutant
open365 said:

hes still very valnerable to the ball seaming oaway from him as he always has been.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eclipse said:
hes still very valnerable to the ball seaming oaway from him as he always has been.
Yes, indeed - as most left-handers always were, always are and always will be.

Trescothick's hand-eye co-ordination is so good, though, that he gets away with it, and is now established as a world-class opener.

Eclipse

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
Yes, indeed - as most left-handers always were, always are and always will be.

Trescothick's hand-eye co-ordination is so good, though, that he gets away with it, and is now established as a world-class opener.
he doesn't get away with it against good bowlers or if there is something in the pitch..

greg

International Debutant
Eclipse said:
It's not so much that he's vulnerable to the ball seaming away so much as he's vulnerable to the ball that is on a line of a couple of inches outside the offstump as it passes the batsman. Basically he plays the line of offstump, and doesn't follow the ball, which means all the bowler has to do is aim for the outside edge of his bat!

See Pollock's dismissal of him in the second innings of the fifth test on the last tour for the perfect example of this.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eclipse said:
he doesn't get away with it against good bowlers or if there is something in the pitch..
Don't you start that rubbish either.

He was the second-highest aggregate scorer in the 2005 Ashes behind KP - and I hardly think that Australia 2005, even with a half-fit McGrath, can be considered to be not 'good bowlers'.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
open365 said:

Trescothick & Gayle have VERY similar techniques, but they make up for that with good hand/eye co-ordination.

Plus i dont know what you have been watching because i still think Trescothick has that problem with balls outside off-stump, the only reason you probably have the idea that he has gotten over it is because the aussie bowlers didn't expose that weakness enoguh during the ashes.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
Hmm, so how come you can't take the same criticism of Australian batsmen then?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
Trescothick & Gayle have VERY similar techniques, but they make up for that with good hand/eye co-ordination.

Plus i dont know what you have been watching because i still think Trescothick has that problem with balls outside off-stump, the only reason you probably have the idea that he has gotten over it is because the aussie bowlers didn't expose that weakness enoguh during the ashes.
Yes and yes.

However, if the best bowlers in the world (and two of the greatest of all time) cannot expose it as a problem, then guess what?

It isn't one.

End of story.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Yes and yes.

However, if the best bowlers in the world (and two of the greatest of all time) cannot expose it as a problem, then guess what?

It isn't one.

End of story.
But eddie Tres problem outside off-stump is mainly towards the seamers, not really spinners, after Pigeon was injured after lord's & didn't come back to his best again for the rest of the series, Lee, Kasper, Dizzy nor Tait where able to expose that weakness so its still their..