• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke - all hype, no performance

tooextracool

International Coach
wpdavid said:
Yeah, that's why I said conditions were *usually* tough for the quicks apart from Lord's. That being said, did it swing all through the TB test? I know it did at the start of Aus' 1st innings, but it seemed much easier 2nd time around.
it swung throughout the test match actually, however the fact that simon jones missed out in the 2nd innings made it appear as though batting seemed easier. hoggard got the ball to swing consistently during the test match, while flintoff didnt swing it at all in either of the 2 innings.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Exactly. The difference between Ponting and Clarke is that Clarke's hands are well away from his body, which causes him all sorts of problems especially to balls pitched up which means he plays across the line and the shortish ball outside offstump which means he pokes at the ball.

Ponting does look unbalanced early, and that is the time to get him, but once he's in everything starts to click. The reason why Clarke often gets out after a start is because he's always playing the same, from ball one. His technique is terrible, whereas Ponting plays with hands close to his body, which means once he gets his balance right, it's all good for him.
Never miss an opportunity to say 'Clarke sucks', eh? I think your dislike of him is almost pathological. Get help. Really.

I mean here we are talking about Ponting and the way in which you support him and his technique is to bring up what you dislike about Clarke's, also bearing in mind the almost clockwork timing you have whenever there's anything bad to be said about Clarke?

other than the blatantly obvious flaw of falling over early on in his innings, ponting also plays with extremely hard hands, doesnt play with a straight bat, and tends to play away from his body. however when you consider that marcus trescothick and chris gayle have scored plenty of runs with far worse techniques its not particularly surprising that ponting has done the same. it is however almost a miracle that hes managed to score in seamer friendly conditions all over the world.
'Almost a miracle'? Give me a break. Play some cricket at a decent level and tell me that someone so obviously flawed could actually make it without a heck of a lot of hard work honing good technique. You can only get so far with natural ability, FC cricket at best. Test cricket is a test of a combination of raw ability, temperament AND technique. Saying Ponting, averaging 50+, has gotten by because of his temperament and good eye alone is stretching the bounds of credulity. Seriously. It's about as believable as Richard's assertion that McGrath had a successful two years with the ball entirely due to a succession of terrible strokes by batsmen he played against.

Eclipse

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
have you seen ponting bat? his technique looks susceptible to almost all forms of bowling, and its a credit to him that hes managed to succeed with such a technique.
What utter rubish!!

Techneque is NOT defined only by how well a players looks when defending..

Look at the pull shot does anyone play that with better techneque than Ponting? the straight and on drives the same?

Infact in all his shots his techneque is brilliant...

His only shortfall is when defending with hard hands against spinners and genraly being valnerable to LBW early due to looking to get to far forward and accorss and playing outside the line of the ball..

Also a players can look verey technicaly correct but as has been ilistrated by people like Greg Chappell looks dpon't always tell the whole story.. From scientific studys it;s been proven that Bradmans backlift and techneque or though not looking proper was actually close to perfect when taking into account such factors as a batsmans ability to ajust to length or line easily etc...

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Top_Cat said:
Never miss an opportunity to say 'Clarke sucks', eh? I think your dislike of him is almost pathological. Get help. Really.

I mean here we are talking about Ponting and the way in which you support him and his technique is to bring up what you dislike about Clarke's, also bearing in mind the almost clockwork timing you have whenever there's anything bad to be said about Clarke?
What's your problem with him saying it? He's making a comparison - why Ponting has succeeded and Clarke IMO won't.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Top_Cat said:
'Almost a miracle'? Give me a break. Play some cricket at a decent level and tell me that someone so obviously flawed could actually make it without a heck of a lot of hard work honing good technique. You can only get so far with natural ability, FC cricket at best. Test cricket is a test of a combination of raw ability, temperament AND technique. Saying Ponting, averaging 50+, has gotten by because of his temperament and good eye alone is stretching the bounds of credulity. Seriously. It's about as believable as Richard's assertion that McGrath had a successful two years with the ball entirely due to a succession of terrible strokes by batsmen he played against.
Is that why people with such bad techniques do occasionally succeed? Is that why Jeff Thomson played for Australia despite not even knowing what way the ball swung when the shiny side was on the left?

Last edited:

Top_Cat

What's your problem with him saying it? He's making a comparison - why Ponting has succeeded and Clarke IMO won't.
No-one brought up Clarke until he did. Just wasn't relevant. I guess I get tired of people who's only way to form any sort of argument is to bag the crap out of players. Y'know, real people, not athletic robots who never make mistakes, show vulnerability, etc.

Is that why people with such bad techniques do occasionally succeed? Is that why Jeff Thomson played for Australia despite not even knowing what way the ball swung when the shiny side was on the left?
He did. Him not knowing where the ball was going and not knowing how to bowl the technical stuff is the stuff of legend, not fact from whom I've spoken to. It was all part of his image. When Thommo kicked-back and tried to bowl line-and-length, he could. He was just more interested in being the quickest.

Besides, he was a supremely-fit natural athlete. His action was unorthodox but he worked hard at it and technically, it was fine. The thing which killed him was the strain on his shoulder eventually.

Anyway, you bring up one example and he's not a batsman and it's not even a recent example. This in no way invalidates what I said. How about a recent one?

tooextracool

International Coach
Top_Cat said:
is that why chris gayle is currently playing test cricket for the WI then? my point was not to say that pontings technique is completely useless, but to point out the fact that it is very ordinary and it couldnt be any more obvious that it is.

tooextracool

International Coach
Eclipse said:
What utter rubish!!

Techneque is NOT defined only by how well a players looks when defending..

Look at the pull shot does anyone play that with better techneque than Ponting? the straight and on drives the same?

Infact in all his shots his techneque is brilliant...

His only shortfall is when defending with hard hands against spinners and genraly being valnerable to LBW early due to looking to get to far forward and accorss and playing outside the line of the ball..

Also a players can look verey technicaly correct but as has been ilistrated by people like Greg Chappell looks dpon't always tell the whole story.. From scientific studys it;s been proven that Bradmans backlift and techneque or though not looking proper was actually close to perfect when taking into account such factors as a batsmans ability to ajust to length or line easily etc...
his straight drives on the up are good technique? come off it. yes so he can play attacking shots with a good technique but you cant attack all the time, and really its not like i said that his attacking strokes arent played with a good technique. my point is that his technique is susceptible to all forms of bowling, and ive already explained why.

Eclipse

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
is that why chris gayle is currently playing test cricket for the WI then? my point was not to say that pontings technique is completely useless, but to point out the fact that it is very ordinary and it couldnt be any more obvious that it is.
You're just dumb if you think that.. Ponting's techneque is good.

Chris Gayle has a very basic techneque it's not great on a seaming wicket but it's a very good for a flat pitch.

Eclipse

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
his straight drives on the up are good technique? come off it. yes so he can play attacking shots with a good technique but you cant attack all the time, and really its not like i said that his attacking strokes arent played with a good technique. my point is that his technique is susceptible to all forms of bowling, and ive already explained why.
It is susceptible but no more than alot of very good players.. And you do need to be a good bowler to trouble him (unless the pitch sucks)

His drives on the up are exellent.. no one can play them well on a seaming wicket though but on a flat deck he's probably the best at playing the ball on the rise.

what have you proven?

tooextracool

International Coach
Eclipse said:
You're just dumb if you think that.. Ponting's techneque is good.
no its not, its good enough to succeed in test match cricket along with a combination of other factors. on its own most other players would struggle a fair bit to average as much as he has.

Eclipse said:
Chris Gayle has a very basic techneque it's not great on a seaming wicket but it's a very good for a flat pitch.
which is exactly my point. you can have an absolute joke of a technique(like chris gayles) and still succeed on flat wickets.

tooextracool

International Coach
Eclipse said:
It is susceptible but no more than alot of very good players.. And you do need to be a good bowler to trouble him (unless the pitch sucks)
which is exactly the point im trying to make here. his technique against pace is most certainly not 'very good' or anywhere near that simply because hes succeeded brilliantly against pace bowlers in the past. it is ordinary, but with his combination of a very good eye, nimble footwork and a decent temperament, he has managed to achieve more than almost any other player with the same technique would.

Eclipse said:
His drives on the up are exellent.. no one can play them well on a seaming wicket though but on a flat deck he's probably the best at playing the ball on the rise.
anything looks good on a flat wicket. trescothick could play one of the most ridiculous cover drives away from his body and make it look brilliant. similarly chris gayle could slog a 6 over long leg with a pull shot and make it look good. point of it all is that technique is vital when we look at performances in bowler friendly or even marginally bowler friendly conditions, not when the conditions are so obviously in the batters favor.

Eclipse

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
which is exactly the point im trying to make here. his technique against pace is most certainly not 'very good' or anywhere near that simply because hes succeeded brilliantly against pace bowlers in the past. it is ordinary, but with his combination of a very good eye, nimble footwork and a decent temperament, he has managed to achieve more than almost any other player with the same technique would.
What is wrong with his techneque apart from the obvious things we all know about? What shot does he look valnerable playing? I think he has improved against spin bowling quite a bit as well or though he needs to prove himself in India, but look at his play of Murili for example.

anything looks good on a flat wicket. trescothick could play one of the most ridiculous cover drives away from his body and make it look brilliant. similarly chris gayle could slog a 6 over long leg with a pull shot and make it look good. point of it all is that technique is vital when we look at performances in bowler friendly or even marginally bowler friendly conditions, not when the conditions are so obviously in the batters favor.
True but Ponting plays his shots with alot better techneque than those two and he can play on seaming wickets which he has proven.. something that those two havn't done.

Basicly you are saying his techneque defence isn't that great?? well it's not but it's good enough howevert he plays a shot at most balls more often than he defends and his shotmaking is very good.

Top_Cat

point of it all is that technique is vital when we look at performances in bowler friendly or even marginally bowler friendly conditions, not when the conditions are so obviously in the batters favor.
Exactly. So explain Ponting's success in bowler-friendly conditions other than in India. Luck and miracles don't count.

So now it's 'very ordinary'............ Really, this is getting crazy. All of the things you're talking about (hard hands, shuffling across, etc.) only happen early in Ponting's innings'. Once he's set, he plays with excellent soft-hands. In all of his dismissals in India in 2001 (and trust me, I watched every tortured moment), they got him early because he really isn't a great starter much like Dean Jones wasn't. But as he showed in a losing Test series in SL previous to that one and in just about every other country in the world, once he's in, he's fine. The shuffle across disappears, the hands get softer.

As for Chris Gayle; his technique isn't as abysmal as you make it out to be. Relative to other pure technicians, maybe it's not as good, but if there's one thing you can assume about anyone playing for any of the major Test-playing nations is that their core technique is at least 'very good'. Trust me, bad technique will not see you even selected for ONE Test for any country (other than the obvious minnows) no matter how naturally gifted you are. It simply doesn't happen.

I can only assume from your designation of Test-level players' techniques as 'a joke', etc. that you've never faced decent (grade-level) bowlers. Trust me, without a very good grasp of technique, even they will chew you up, let alone Test-level bowlers. You won't understand until you face guys who can put the ball in the corridor 5 times an over and move the ball around. Really. The biggest difference as you move up the levels isn't that bowlers bowl heaps more excellent deliveries; you just get fewer bad deliveries. That's why you need to game to combat that or you won't last.

A couple of pics of Ponting's 'poor' technique;

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ci/content/image/201233.html

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ci/content/image/185874.html

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ci/content/image/188376.html

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ci/content/image/170699.html

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i have to say Ponting must be rubbish, test batting average of 55.29 with 7409 runs and 23 Hundreds and 29 50's at a SR just under 60, i mean lets face it, anyone could do that

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Top_Cat said:
Exactly. So explain Ponting's success in bowler-friendly conditions other than in India. Luck and miracles don't count.

So now it's 'very ordinary'............ Really, this is getting crazy. All of the things you're talking about (hard hands, shuffling across, etc.) only happen early in Ponting's innings'. Once he's set, he plays with excellent soft-hands. In all of his dismissals in India in 2001 (and trust me, I watched every tortured moment), they got him early because he really isn't a great starter much like Dean Jones wasn't. But as he showed in a losing Test series in SL previous to that one and in just about every other country in the world, once he's in, he's fine. The shuffle across disappears, the hands get softer.

As for Chris Gayle; his technique isn't as abysmal as you make it out to be. Relative to other pure technicians, maybe it's not as good, but if there's one thing you can assume about anyone playing for any of the major Test-playing nations is that their core technique is at least 'very good'. Trust me, bad technique will not see you even selected for ONE Test for any country (other than the obvious minnows) no matter how naturally gifted you are. It simply doesn't happen.

I can only assume from your designation of Test-level players' techniques as 'a joke', etc. that you've never faced decent (grade-level) bowlers. Trust me, without a very good grasp of technique, even they will chew you up, let alone Test-level bowlers. You won't understand until you face guys who can put the ball in the corridor 5 times an over and move the ball around. Really. The biggest difference as you move up the levels isn't that bowlers bowl heaps more excellent deliveries; you just get fewer bad deliveries. That's why you need to game to combat that or you won't last.

A couple of pics of Ponting's 'poor' technique;

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ci/content/image/201233.html

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ci/content/image/185874.html

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ci/content/image/188376.html

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ci/content/image/170699.html
Exactly. And another point to note is that most people play with techniques that suit them. For instance, Sehwag doesn't move his feet as much as, say Sunil Gavaskar had to, because he knows that because of his great eye, good hand eye co-ordination and gift of timing, he can still make it work without moving his feet too much. Same with Lara. He actually jumps around the crease when facing fast bowlers, even guys as quick as Lee, and trust me, anyone else who does what Lara does to Lee, would have to take a few hard blows. But he hardly takes any. Each and every international player have their own personal strong points and most of the time, they simply work out a technique according to their strengths so that it gives them maximum chances of doing well. Good technique actually varies from player to player simply because what works for player A does not necessarily have to work for player B.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Good post Honestbharani. I agree, players adapt their game and technique to their strengths. Not everyone requires to be a Darren Ganga, and just because they haven't got that solid technique doesn't mean their specific technique is 'poor'.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Top_Cat said:
He did. Him not knowing where the ball was going and not knowing how to bowl the technical stuff is the stuff of legend, not fact from whom I've spoken to. It was all part of his image. When Thommo kicked-back and tried to bowl line-and-length, he could. He was just more interested in being the quickest.
1) Well Lillee said it was true, so I believe it.

2) Well he was far more effective when he was bowling quick.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
age_master said:
i have to say Ponting must be rubbish, test batting average of 55.29 with 7409 runs and 23 Hundreds and 29 50's at a SR just under 60, i mean lets face it, anyone could do that
And when exactly did anyone say that? What we're saying is that he has an average technique but more than makes up for it with a brilliant eye, etc.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
I think a lot of people don't rate Ponting (including his wife) because of his early thrusting.

I can think of only one reason for this affliction; he was bowled off-stump a lot during his formative years. Take this prematue misgiving out of the equation and we may have had the #1 batsman of his generation. As it stands he's probably what, # 3 after Lara and ST.