• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke - all hype, no performance

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Hmm..let's see...Brett Lee is selected for Australia after a handful of games based on what...pace! If he was from any other state he wouldn't have had a look in. Same with Michael Clarke. Name one player, young or not that has been selected with an average under 40 in the last decade.

Clarke was sorta in the ODI team first, he had a good ODD season before that

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mister Wright said:
Hmm..let's see...Brett Lee is selected for Australia after a handful of games based on what...pace! If he was from any other state he wouldn't have had a look in. Same with Michael Clarke. Name one player, young or not that has been selected with an average under 40 in the last decade.
I've gotta say that I don't think where a player plays has any effect on him getting into the team. I for one don't even have a good idea of where international Australian players are from, and many of them move around from team to team so it's pretty futile in my opinion to say 'Oh he got into the team cause he's from NSW or wherever.' If that were the case, then why is the Queenslander Hayden still in the team when you've got Jacques from NSW playing so well?

Mister Wright

andyc said:
I've gotta say that I don't think where a player plays has any effect on him getting into the team. I for one don't even have a good idea of where international Australian players are from, and many of them move around from team to team so it's pretty futile in my opinion to say 'Oh he got into the team cause he's from NSW or wherever.' If that were the case, then why is the Queenslander Hayden still in the team when you've got Jacques from NSW playing so well?
For starters, Hayden should have been dropped on the Ashes tour but the selectors didn't take a replacement. Secondly, Hayden should have been picked back in 1992 or whenever it was to replace Geoff Marsh, but he wasn't.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
I can tell you one guy that was picked on potential alone with a poor average who wasn't from NSW, though he wasn't a batsman, and his name was Shane. I can also tell you that not one of the current selectors is from New South Wales, and until recently most of them were from Queensland. I can also tell you that after making a century in his last test, Simon Katich (who plays for NSW, in case you've forgotten) was dropped for an uncapped Queenslander with a fairly middle-of-the-road FC average.

Michael Clarke also had a period of resounding success in the ODI side, and the selectors wished to bring some youth into an aging team.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Mister Wright said:
Michael Kasprowicz.

Son Of Coco

Mister Wright said:
Given the way Brett Lee started his career you'd have to say his selection was justified wouldn't you?

Back to this media thing...why don't the QLD media have the same effect as you're claiming the NSW media does? Especially seeing as though during the time you're talking about 2 selectors were from that state?

Son Of Coco

Tom Halsey said:
1) Well Lillee said it was true, so I believe it.

2) Well he was far more effective when he was bowling quick.
It wasn't true from what I've heard...Thommo knew exactly what he was doing. He may have been more effective when bowling quick, but as we've seen recently - you don't take wickets simply by being quick, you have to land it in the right areas as well.

Mister Wright

Son Of Coco said:
Given the way Brett Lee started his career you'd have to say his selection was justified wouldn't you?

Back to this media thing...why don't the QLD media have the same effect as you're claiming the NSW media does? Especially seeing as though during the time you're talking about 2 selectors were from that state?
Qld only have one paper, and nobody listen's to what Qld journalists have to say. N.S.W. have a few more papers and a lot more players down there. The only time the Qld media has had anything to do with getting one of their players in the team is when The Sunday Mail put a page in the paper and got everyone to fax Matt Hayden's statistics to The ACB.

Btw, when I was doing my journalism degree I did research on Sydney's media having success in getting their players in the team, and there is plenty of stuff out there to back it up, so this isn't just one Qlder clutching at straws.

Mister Wright

FaaipDeOiad said:
I can tell you one guy that was picked on potential alone with a poor average who wasn't from NSW, though he wasn't a batsman, and his name was Shane. I can also tell you that not one of the current selectors is from New South Wales, and until recently most of them were from Queensland. I can also tell you that after making a century in his last test, Simon Katich (who plays for NSW, in case you've forgotten) was dropped for an uncapped Queenslander with a fairly middle-of-the-road FC average.

Michael Clarke also had a period of resounding success in the ODI side, and the selectors wished to bring some youth into an aging team.
There are five selectors. Trevor Hohns, Andrew Hilditch, David Boon, Merv Huges and the Sydney media.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You surprisingly (not really) did not respond or at least attempt to rebut some of his points.

Especially the dropping of Katich for Symonds!!!

Mister Wright

Jono said:
You surprisingly (not really) did not respond or at least attempt to rebut some of his points.

Especially the dropping of Katich for Symonds!!!
Didn't have to, I agree it was the wrong move.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
So there clearly are instances where:

1) Qld players have been favoured (in Symonds' case, for his ODI form (and possibly, though I think it was ridiculous, his ability to bowl spin), in which Brett Lee has also had the same occur to him.)
2) NSW players have faced the raw end of the stick when it comes to selection.

Mister Wright

Jono said:
So there clearly are instances where:

1) Qld players have been favoured (in Symonds' case, for his ODI form (and possibly, though I think it was ridiculous, his ability to bowl spin), in which Brett Lee has also had the same occur to him.)
2) NSW players have faced the raw end of the stick when it comes to selection.
Those are very rare circumstances. Basically, if it is a tight call between two players, 88.56% of the time a N.S.W. player is going to get the nod ahead of a player from another state because they get favourable media attention.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Those are very rare circumstances. Basically, if it is a tight call between two players, 88.56% of the time a N.S.W. player is going to get the nod ahead of a player from another state because they get favourable media attention.
Biggest load of rubbish I've ever heard.

It's more like 95%.

:tomato:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
At first I thought those were cricket balls being pegged at that guy in the smiley until I highlighted it and it said 'tomato'.

Hazza

U19 Cricketer
Top_Cat said:
Biggest load of rubbish I've ever heard.

It's more like 95%.

:tomato:
Do you think NSW are holding back the careers of other players then? Is this detrimental to the growth of aussie cricket?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Do you think NSW are holding back the careers of other players then? Is this detrimental to the growth of aussie cricket?
Do you honestly think what I said was a serious comment?

Hazza

U19 Cricketer
No but I'm asking a question, obviously I understand what you are saying is an over-reaction.