• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fringe Aussie fringe Players who would excel in other teams..

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mr Casson said:
Well I might be wrong, but I think a lot of Queenslanders have been saying recently that the 'Gabba isn't nearly as green as it used to be. And I know from players' comments that the 'Gabba is actually a wonderful pitch to bat on if you can survive the first session.
Correct...but you still have to survive the first session and as an opener thats what Hayden does so often for Queensland.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
zinzan12 said:
Correct...but you still have to survive the first session and as an opener thats what Hayden does so often for Queensland.
Well I'd be interested to know if his average at the 'Gabba is actually anywhere near 54. If it is, well, that will answer one question for the time being...

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Mr Casson said:
Well I'd be interested to know if his average at the 'Gabba is actually anywhere near 54. If it is, well, that will answer one question for the time being...
Its more like 60 and he has been doing it for well over a decade.

tooextracool

International Coach
zinzan12 said:
Err right....as someone correctly stated earlier , If he (hayden) succeeds, the wickets he played on won't be "seaming wickets", and if he fails, he will just be a poor batsman. If he succeeds in some matches but not in others, the innings where he failed will be on seaming wickets, and the innings where he succeeded will be flat batting tracks.
nope, it will be fairly obvious which tracks are seaming and which arent.

zinzan12 said:
By the way....do you have conclusive statistics to back up your comments that Hayden can't bat on seamer friendly conditions...apart from bringing up his 380 against Zim?? Or is it just an assumption you've made??
Are you suggesting none of Hayden 19 or so test hundreds are ever on seaming wickets??
yes i am, and i've already shown conclusive statistics as to his performances on seamer friendly wickets.

tooextracool

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
I believe his stock response to this is "give me an example of a seaming wicket where Hayden has performed", and then when an example is given that wicket isn't a seaming wicket.

Given that the guy averages 54 in FC cricket having played many of his matches on the Gabba wicket, which is renowned for being a seamer-friendly green top as much as any other wicket in the world, I can't see how anyone could think he was an FTB.
i wouldnt claim anything about the gabba wickets for the domestic games since i have no clue about them, but clearly only a fool would call the gabba as green as any other wicket in the world.

tooextracool

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
I don't think he is in the top ten at all IMO. Guys like McGrath, Gillespie, Warne, Murali, Kaspa, Pollock, Shoaib, Hamy, Vaas and Kumble are all better. I would even say that day to day Hoggard is a better test bowler. Flintoff on current form is a good bowler but not in the top ten
vaas ahead of flintoff? and its amazing when how everyone is going around talking about how harmison can only take wickets against poor sides you put harmison in there as one of the top 10 bowlers in the world.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Casson said:
Well I might be wrong, but I think a lot of Queenslanders have been saying recently that the 'Gabba isn't nearly as green as it used to be. And I know from players' comments that the 'Gabba is actually a wonderful pitch to bat on if you can survive the first session.
Yeah, from what I have seen that's certainly true, like most other pitches these days it has less for bowlers than it used to. Still, Hayden has been playing FC cricket for Queensland with immense success since the early 90s, when the Gabba was still certainly a seamers wicket. Even now Gabba greentops aren't unheard of, and it's as good a wicket for seam bowling as any in Australia, excluding the WACA. In fact, in terms of actual swing and seam movement it probably has more than the WACA, which is more known for its pace and bounce.

Mr Mxyzptlk

chaminda_00 said:
I don't think he is in the top ten at all IMO. Guys like McGrath, Gillespie, Warne, Murali, Kaspa, Pollock, Shoaib, Hamy, Vaas and Kumble are all better. I would even say that day to day Hoggard is a better test bowler. Flintoff on current form is a good bowler but not in the top ten
How can you validate Hoggard's bowling average of high 20s lately over Flintoff's drop from 45 to 33podd over a couple years? Also, do you seriously consider Harmison a better bowler on form right now? Let's consider this, one of the two would be an automatic choice for the England Test and ODI team if fit. Have a guess as to which one...

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
mavric41 said:
Its more like 60 and he has been doing it for well over a decade.
OK, now show me conclusive evidence that Hayden has played most of his games at the 'Gabba batting first.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Casson said:
OK, now show me conclusive evidence that Hayden has played most of his games at the 'Gabba batting first.
That's beside the point. It is reasonable to suppose that he has batted on the first morning at the Gabba and done well given the following:

a) he plays FC cricket for Queensland, and therefore plays at the Gabba regularly

b) he has an excellent FC average which is even better at the Gabba

c) he is an opening batsman

Whether Queensland happened to bat first 55% of the time or 40% of the time in those games is irrelevant. The fact is that it's pretty bizarre to claim that somebody who has played so well on a wicket renowned for seaming early on as an opening batsmen struggles universally in seaming conditions...

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
FaaipDeOiad said:
That's beside the point. It is reasonable to suppose that he has batted on the first morning at the Gabba and done well given the following:

a) he plays FC cricket for Queensland, and therefore plays at the Gabba regularly

Whether Queensland happened to bat first 55% of the time or 40% of the time in those games is irrelevant. The fact is that it's pretty bizarre to claim that somebody who has played so well on a wicket renowned for seaming early on as an opening batsmen struggles universally in seaming conditions...
Well it's quite possible that he played 60% or more of his games not batting first.. and it's also quite possible that he hasn't opened for his entire career.

Zinzan

FaaipDeOiad said:

Agree entirely ....Its almost like suggesting Murali does bowl well on dry cracking pitches on the 5th day...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Casson said:
Well it's quite possible that he played 60% or more of his games not batting first.. and it's also quite possible that he hasn't opened for his entire career.
Well, I can't tell you if he has opened in every single FC match he has played, but he has definately opened in every test he has played (one of very few cricketers who have done that, in fact), and here is his first FC match in 1991, where he also opened.

http://uk.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/1991-92/AUS_LOCAL/SS/QLD_SOA_SS_01-04NOV1991.html

So, I think it's fair to say that if he hasn't opened in every single match, it's pretty damn close.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
FaaipDeOiad said:
Well, I can't tell you if he has opened in every single FC match he has played, but he has definately opened in every test he has played (one of very few cricketers who have done that, in fact), and here is his first FC match in 1991, where he also opened.

http://uk.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/1991-92/AUS_LOCAL/SS/QLD_SOA_SS_01-04NOV1991.html

So, I think it's fair to say that if he hasn't opened in every single match, it's pretty damn close.
More power to him for an innings like that on debut then... although I'm not sure if the 'Gabba really qualifies as a seaming wicket because I've not seen it give consistent seam movement for an entire match. Then again, I haven't seen too many matches at the 'Gabba.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Which wicket in Australia would be a seaming wicket if the Gabba is not. It is one of the few times when the captain ins the toss he thinks about putting the opposition in.

Its no secret that Qld has had some great fast bowlers (Rackemann, Tazelaar, McDermott, Bichel, Kaspa etc) who love bowling at the Gabba.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
mavric41 said:
Which wicket in Australia would be a seaming wicket if the Gabba is not. It is one of the few times when the captain ins the toss he thinks about putting the opposition in.

Its no secret that Qld has had some great fast bowlers (Rackemann, Tazelaar, McDermott, Bichel, Kaspa etc) who love bowling at the Gabba.
I don't know any recent captain who thinks about putting the opposition in. Steve Waugh said that a lot of touring captains get fooled by the grassy covering and choose foolishly to bowl. It sounds to me as though he would never have contemplated it.

Zinzan

mavric41 said:

I know which wicket Richard Hadlee liked the best

Zinzan

I'd like to know what is considered a "seaming" wicket according to Haydens critics??