• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Lawrence bats below Foakes at Surrey.

There's no way he's magically going to be an opener at test level. We saw how that worked for Roy.

Albeit not going to face an attack like the Aussies against Sri Lanka and conditions in Pakistan last time I don't think it would matter too much who opens.

LangleyburyCCPlayee

U19 Cricketer
He's not a test number 8. He bats 9 or 10 for Durham.

That Edgbaston wicket was appalling that he scored his ton on

He's a bit like Ollie Robinson in that he can score runs but definitely more suited as a 9.

Carse a better shout as an 8 but then he's banned for a while still and his bowling isn't as good as others.
Agreed, but in the mid-term I think he has as good a shout as anyone to fill the bowling all-rounder slot considering he is quick and bats better than the rest

ImpatientLime

International Regular

Remember they just retired a person who is bowling faster and with better control.
proper megamind bull**** this. 'if it didn't work the previous two times maybe it will finally work this time'.

statistically the worst touring english seamer in the history of test match cricket*

*minimum test match criteria applies

danzydab

U19 Debutant
Australian pitches are very seamer friendly nowadays, only the green mambas SA prepares for India are better. Even Aamer Jamal got 18 wickets in 3 tests avging 20. Thats why they are considering Woakes despite his terrible away record.

The question is will he still maintain form at the age of 36 and a half?

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Australian pitches are very seamer friendly nowadays, only the green mambas SA prepares for India are better. Even Aamer Jamal got 18 wickets in 3 tests avging 20. Thats why they are considering Woakes despite his terrible away record.

Pitches where just as green last time england toured and woakes was still ****e.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

The pitches were seamer friendly in 2021/22 as well. certainly in Brisbane and Hobart. He averaged 55.

At Hobart he got the most friendly conditions he could have asked for on the first morning. Head hammered him and Wood to smithereens and the match was gone in half an hour.

ataraxia

International Coach
Anderson - Has shown that he can be as excellent as ever, but realistically I think you'd have to be quite the optimist to think that this will be the case for anything longer than a year. I have been wrong about him before though.
Posted without comment

mackembhoy

International Debutant
I think he has injured his calf recently just bowling in the nets
I'm not saying he doesn't get injured. But he doesn't miss half a season/year at a time.

I.e Wood,Archer,Tongue,Stone and Atkinson

All of the above the players we've wanted in Australia in the past and future.

It wouldn't surprise if we have zero of them by the time they come around.

Jimmy didn't need to be retired he could have just been dropped/been in squad.

grecian

I'm not saying he doesn't get injured. But he doesn't miss half a season/year at a time.

Mahmood. Overtons as well, and Atkinson has come off injuries, but hey I'm sure it'll all be fine when Potts and Cook open the bowling in the Ashes.

LangleyburyCCPlayee

U19 Cricketer
Mahmood. Overtons as well, and Atkinson has come off injuries, but hey I'm sure it'll all be fine when Potts and Cook open the bowling in the Ashes.

What is it with our fastest bowlers getting injured so often? With some of them it’s a case of overworking them, but are we genuinely unlucky or are we doing something wrong in managing them?

kevinw

International 12th Man
I think Key, Baz and Stokes might believe their own hype and think they've got the Midas touch when it comes to selections. Jimmy wasn't showing any signs of decline. Anyone can have one bad series, but he was the best seamer in India and his pace isn't dropping/fitness isn't worsening. I think they could've just rested him or used him sparingly this Summer because they wanted to look at other options. He would've been the best seamer in Pakistan too.

grecian

What is it with our fastest bowlers getting injured so often? With some of them it’s a case of overworking them, but are we genuinely unlucky or are we doing something wrong in managing them?
Genuinely think this obsession with bowling fast is the problem, they just put their bodies through so much, it's certainly not over-work, so many of them hardly play a county match.

They know if they want an England career they have to bowl express, TBH this isn't just a bazball thing it's been going on for years, many potentially great bowlers not giving a chance because they were deemed too slow.

LangleyburyCCPlayee

U19 Cricketer
Genuinely think this obsession with bowling fast is the problem, they just put their bodies through so much, it's certainly not over-work, so many of them hardly play a county match.
Jofra’s never been the same since bowling 42 overs that innings in New Zealand, but yeah, I agree with that, I think a lot of them are naturally at the faster end of fast-medium just trying to eke out a few extra mph to be that point of difference, perhaps Wood too wouldn’t have got injured if he weren’t always trying to break speed records