• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I still find it embarrassing for English cricket that Emburey went on two rebel tours and still played for England afterwards.
He wasn't even that good. If he was a great bowler you could understand it but he was a right arm version of Ashley Giles.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I still find it embarrassing for English cricket that Emburey went on two rebel tours and still played for England afterwards.
Yes, being recalled after the second one stank. But I'd be a liar if I said I'd objected to him being recalled in 1985 along with Gooch.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He wasn't even that good. If he was a great bowler you could understand it but he was a right arm version of Ashley Giles.
He just played in a terrible era for finger-spinners, no drs, no uncovered pitches, he would have comfortably averaged about 7 less if he played today, same as Edmonds. His improvisational batting would be great in t20 too, not so sure about his fielding though.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Pak vs Eng - Brydon Carse in England Test squad for Pakistan, Jack Leach recalled | ESPNcricinfo

Squad picked for Pakistan. I know Pakistan have their problems right now, but the seam bowling battery is far from convincing for Pakistan with no Wood and Anderson/Robinson having been binned in one form or another compared to two years ago. That we are playing Pakistan and NZ, two years after touring there is another bugbear I have. How come we aren't playing Bangladesh or South Africa? Two teams we haven't now toured for some time, especially the former.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Pak vs Eng - Brydon Carse in England Test squad for Pakistan, Jack Leach recalled | ESPNcricinfo

Squad picked for Pakistan. I know Pakistan have their problems right now, but the seam bowling battery is far from convincing for Pakistan with no Wood and Anderson/Robinson having been binned in one form or another compared to two years ago. That we are playing Pakistan and NZ, two years after touring there is another bugbear I have. How come we aren't playing Bangladesh or South Africa? Two teams we haven't now toured for some time, especially the former.
25/60 wickets were taken by Robinson/Anderson/Wood last time.

A massive hole to fill from those picked, especially how miserly they all were, all going under 3 an over.

Those picked I can't see having the same effect in both wicket taking or economy.

Molehill

International Captain
Rehan Ahmed, 12 wickets at 53 v Jack Carson 42 wickets at 22.8.

I've no idea what Carse brings to this squad.

I'm guessing most likely bowling line up (assuming Stokes is fit) would see Atkinson and Stone with Bashir and Leach.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Thanks both for adding your thoughts. Agree entirely Mackembhoy and yes, I'm confused re Carse and what he brings. , oh and what you say re Carson, Molehill.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Rehan Ahmed, 12 wickets at 53 v Jack Carson 42 wickets at 22.8.

I've no idea what Carse brings to this squad.

I'm guessing most likely bowling line up (assuming Stokes is fit) would see Atkinson and Stone with Bashir and Leach.
They clearly don't really care about county results at all when it comes to spinners. You can argue it either way but we shouldn't be surprised when these things happen.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Carse is a better batsman than he is a bowler this and last season.

They've liked him for ages as an overseas option as a bowler for some reason.

Him batting at 7 in the event that Stokes isn't fit as the fifth bowler is probably the logic there.

Rehan Ahmed over Carson is because they seem to go for the next cab off the rank. i.e Lawrence shoehorned as opener.

As he's already been in the setup toured Pakistan/India to general success. They were always going to pick him over someone new regardless of form.

The fact he's a leggie and can bat top 6 too helps him.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
They clearly don't really care about county results at all when it comes to spinners. You can argue it either way but we shouldn't be surprised when these things happen.
Yep Bashir got picked off the back of a UAE training camp. I doubt they even watched any clips of him in County Cricket.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yep Bashir got picked off the back of a UAE training camp. I doubt they even watched any clips of him in County Cricket.
Rehan's FC average was about 80 as well when he debuted iirc.

I don't think bowling well at county level will he totally ignored, but not having good numbers there definitely doesn't seem to matter in any way.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Rehan's FC average was about 80 as well when he debuted iirc.

I don't think bowling well at county level will he totally ignored, but not having good numbers there definitely doesn't seem to matter in any way.
Not quite.

Took 9 wickets at 30.11 from 3 matches, also scored 195 runs with a 122 from 113 balls in there.

But wickets and runs against one of the worst county sides in Derbyshire shouldn't really lend itself to a fifer on test debut in Pakistan.

His brother Farhan has started better. Taken 16 at 25 from just 4 innings in FC cricket against Sri Lanka, Surrey and Essex. About as good of sides as you could face in your first 3 FC games.

Almost surprised they didn't go for him over Rehan.

Reactions: FBU

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Not quite.

Took 9 wickets at 30.11 from 3 matches, also scored 195 runs with a 122 from 113 balls in there.

But wickets and runs against one of the worst county sides in Derbyshire shouldn't really lend itself to a fifer on test debut in Pakistan.

His brother Farhan has started better. Taken 16 at 25 from just 4 innings in FC cricket against Sri Lanka, Surrey and Essex. About as good of sides as you could face in your first 3 FC games.

Almost surprised they didn't go for him over Rehan.
No idea why I thought it was that bad. Maybe it was the whole "nine wickets" thing, and the fact that he seemed to be picked after looking good in a practice game where he was absolutely flogged.

govinda indian fan

U19 12th Man
Can understand not taking Hartley despite of perfoming well in india becuase indian pitches more suited to spin bowlers while pakistan pitches are either roads or green seamers but dont understand not taking olie Robinson he bowled excellently last time in pak and well at ranchi england might need his control over somebody who leaks runs like hull or stone

Molehill

International Captain
Can understand not taking Hartley despite of perfoming well in india becuase indian pitches more suited to spin bowlers while pakistan pitches are either roads or green seamers but dont understand not taking olie Robinson he bowled excellently last time in pak and well at ranchi england might need his control over somebody who leaks runs like hull or stone
Watched all of Robinson's bowling yesterday. Bowled 9 overs straight to start with, his figures really didn't do him justice. Unadkat picked up the wickets but Ollie was causing all the problems and had 3 good lbw shouts turned down.

Seems like he'll never play for England again, and whilst he's probably not helped himself some of the time, surely the coaching staff need to take some ownership of it. A real waste because there's no better bowler than him in that squad.

govinda indian fan

U19 12th Man
Watched all of Robinson's bowling yesterday. Bowled 9 overs straight to start with, his figures really didn't do him justice. Unadkat picked up the wickets but Ollie was causing all the problems and had 3 good lbw shouts turned down.

Seems like he'll never play for England again, and whilst he's probably not helped himself some of the time, surely the coaching staff need to take some ownership of it. A real waste because there's no better bowler than him in that squad.
Heard baz was upset over podcast he did with his girlfriend in india

Reactions: FBU