• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Same squad for the SL series?

Crawley out of the 100 since his broken finger. Doubtful if will be ready. Does Stokes stay on as an opener, with Lawrence fitting in somewhere? Do they pick someone else? Who?

Will the bowlers stay the same?
Maybe Lees back as an opener if Crawley isn't available.
I suspect the bowlers will be unchanged unless Woakes or Wood picks up a niggle. Which wouldn't be the worst thing, as we need to look at Pennington or Potts.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wood won't play all 3 tests. FACT

Would imagine Pennington gets at least one game, as for opener wouldn't be surprised if Stokes did it and Lawrence came in if it was just one game that Crawley missed. If he is out all series then play a proper opener.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Sounds sensible. I'm not convinced that Lawrence's form demands a recall if there's a middle-order vacancy, but I don't know who else has put their case forward this season.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Give him as much experience as possible
To what end? The point of giving him experience should be to win more series overall. If you lose the series because his keeping **** to "give him experience" and have Dan Lawrence in the side then it doesn't really work. It's not like it's Bangladesh at home or Lawrence is gun.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Jamie Smith with a real keeper?
He’s kept pretty well tbf.

Ultimately they want a batsman like him at 7. I get your point on winning the series etc but if Smith didn’t take the gloves it wouldn’t mean Foakes coming back. It would be Bairstow, or Robinson/Salt. I reckon anyway.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
He’s kept pretty well tbf.

Ultimately they want a batsman like him at 7. I get your point on winning the series etc but if Smith didn’t take the gloves it wouldn’t mean Foakes coming back. It would be Bairstow, or Robinson/Salt. I reckon anyway.
Robinson makes sense as he's one of the most in-form middle order batsmen in the CC, as well as keeping for his county.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They’re not taking the gloves off Smith. May as well be wishing for them to recall Broad. Not happening

Reactions: FBU

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator
Smith just had a great debut series, no way do we mess with him.

Jennings probably has the best case to open if Crawley is out, but no idea if Baz and Stokes rate him.

flibbertyjibber

To what end? The point of giving him experience should be to win more series overall. If you lose the series because his keeping **** to "give him experience" and have Dan Lawrence in the side then it doesn't really work. It's not like it's Bangladesh at home or Lawrence is gun.
Why play him as a bat when he is learning on the job with the gloves? He needs to keep.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Why are some people framing this like smith is a bad keeper? AFAIK, he only didn't take the gloves at surrey because of foakes, whos like. the best keeper in the world.

flibbertyjibber

Why are some people framing this like smith is a bad keeper? AFAIK, he only didn't take the gloves at surrey because of foakes, whos like. the best keeper in the world.
I think he is useful, just lacks experience so taking the gloves off him makes no sense whatsoever. The fact you didn't notice him is a good sign.

Chin Music

State Regular
There is sometimes a puritanical outlook to wicket-keepers. It's not like Smith is a novice keeper - far from it. He seemed to do the role a fair bit in his younger years, it is just that Foakes was obviously one of the very best glovemen that there is. There used to be loads of arguments about English wicket-keepers around 20 years ago when Chris Read and Geraint Jones were regularly discussed ad nauseum.

reyrey

U19 Vice-Captain
I thought the whole point of retiring Anderson was to try build a bowling attack for the next Ashes.

Open with Stokes (no bowling for him) push Woakes up to 6 or 7 and go with an extra pace option (Pennington)

Hungry Llama

U19 12th Man
I thought smith kept ok, although those black gloves look awful. As england like to do everything left field,
keep stokes to open and bring another bazballer type like Jordan Cox, or some bowler hardly anyones
heard of but the chief womble thinks is the business.