• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm just thinking of a scenario where he 'keeps badly, but bats well and they want to keep him in the side. I mean that's not an unreasonable scenario giving his rep for both.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
There are cases for saying that some of the dropped have been hard done by, and Rob Key hasn't exactly made the best of soundbites in some instances (Leach for example, saying that he might be a second spinner in Pakistan only) but the likes of him and Bairstow to name two, have been itinerant performers over the last year/18 months, so on actual play alone, they can't really moan.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Never seen Dillon Pennington but I wasn't sold on Potts when he last played. Also surprised if Anderson is being put out to pasture that a 35-year-old Woakes, who can’t tour, is in the squad. England and world cricket are never going to see a bowler like Anderson again. He should have been given the summer and a nice sendoff around the country.

Brook's side

International Debutant
I thought Potts looked decent. I think pretty much all the seam/fast bowlers England have tried recently have looked pretty good.
It just seems completely wrong to be putting an arbitrary finish date on a bowler who is still not only capable of contributing, and even potentially still the best bowler available, but who is arguably at their peak, just because of his age. I'd struggle off the top of my head to recall an equivalent in cricket or even another sport.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Potts is deceptively slow, IMHO. Bustles in with his chest puffed out, but tops out ~85mph and more often just around 80.

He's not bad by any stretch, but Ollie Robinson has looked head and shoulders above any other recent(ish) seam up debutant we've tried in the last 2-3 years.

Potts looks a lot more game than Robinson though (the latter's speed declined marked as the overs went by in Oz last tour, which is never a good look wrt fitness/testicular fortitude) and that still seems to matter.

Spark

Global Moderator

Okay, so, like, 100% sincere non-troll question, I'm not Burgey. But surely a lot of England fans find this kind of overblown self-importance obnoxious as well?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

Okay, so, like, 100% sincere non-troll question, I'm not Burgey. But surely a lot of England fans find this kind of overblown self-importance obnoxious as well?
It's stupid but to some extent he's probably not wrong tbh. Depending on his definition of "us" I guess. I mean I doubt I will forget the Headlingley 2019 test for as long as I live. But if he is referring exclusively to the Bazball era that is definitely a more questionable assertion.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's stupid but to some extent he's probably not wrong tbh. Depending on his definition of "us" I guess. I mean I doubt I will forget the Headlingley 2019 test for as long as I live. But if he is referring exclusively to the Bazball era that is definitely a more questionable assertion.
It was said in the aftermath of the 2023 series so yeah I'm pretty sure it was about Bazball.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, there's a touch of the Mourinho about it imo. (i.e., deliberately saying provocative things to get people upset, particularly online, so to foster a stronger "us against everyone" mentality within the team).

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It was said in the aftermath of the 2023 series so yeah I'm pretty sure it was about Bazball.
It was a great series, tbf.

&, it must be said regardless of the result, I've never seen a more passive performance from an Australian team. England made all the running.

But yeah, devoid of context it does rather read as if he's got tickets on himself.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
My issue with the "where saving test cricket" statement's from the guys in the group is that it seems to have correlated with them doubling down on a lot of argressive, dumb stuff on the field. I liked stokes and mccullum when they first came together because it seemed like they'de taken a team that couldn't win to save there lives and A. Loosened some players like bairstow up, B. Adapted some agressive, white ball strategy that made the team better (coming down the pitch to pacers to disrupt the length, even root's reverse scoop) and C. Found a way to use irregular bowling/fielding strategies to take 20 wickets even on flat pitches.

Around the start of the last home ashes they started making those "saving test cricket" statements to the media, and at the same time they appeared to me atleast to be doubling down on stuff unnecessarily (short ball play and lyon at the start of the ashes both good examples). Maybe bazball was just all hype, under root they dominated at home, smashed a poor SL in SL and were competitive in NZ before drawing a home ashes and getting obliterated in India much like stokes did, but I feel like they've gone from controlled, planned agression mixed with good cricket to brainless play.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Between this and the handling of Anderson and a few other things it’s becoming increasingly difficult to wilfully support this side.

like, it’s not wrong. Watching the way they’ve gone about it has been awesome at times but there’s something about tooting your own horn to this extent when the results have cooled off that just rankles.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year

It's memeably cringe for sure, but I don't mind it so much if this was Stokes addressing the dressing room (which I think is the context, right?). As an in-house, motivational speech for his players it's kinda silly, sure, but I think also fine? You don't rally your troops with bland platitudes "Look lads: we're not the best, not the worst. Let's go out there and try to do ok-or-better."

If Stokes was coming out with this as a statement in a press conference as a direct message to the public and press then I'd look at it a lot less favourably. (And I know there has been stuff that he and the England camp have said publicly before that comes close to this. Which is why England fans have memed as much as anyone about stuff like England "saving Test cricket".)