• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

Sudeep

International Captain
SJS said:
Okay till Sudeep has his dinner, here is an easy quickie. Who ever answers does not become the guru however.

Who colected all his players on the day the boat left for Australia and said, "Right gentlemen, now we are off to Australia. We can have a wonderful trip and enjoy ourselves, or we can win the Ashes. I am determined we will win the Ashes. Good night. We will meet again tomorrow."
Actually SJS you can go ahead with asking the next tough question if you want to. As I said, probably won't be online much in the next 24 hours to confirm answers...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sudeep said:
Actually what I'm gonna do is pass the opportunity of asking a question, as I'm not too sure for being online later tonight or tomorrow.

Anyone having a more difficult question than the one I answered can go ahead. :p
Oh oh.

Its not difficult to pose really difficult questions but its more fun, I think, if there are questions for which people try to answer themselves rather than it becoming a question of who goes through his search engines faster :p

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sudeep said:
Actually SJS you can go ahead with asking the next tough question if you want to. As I said, probably won't be online much in the next 24 hours to confirm answers...
Okay gentlemen. in addition to the above question I am going to look for a difficult one. Just hold on :@

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Who colected all his players on the day the boat left for Australia and said, "Right gentlemen, now we are off to Australia. We can have a wonderful trip and enjoy ourselves, or we can win the Ashes. I am determined we will win the Ashes. Good night. We will meet again tomorrow."

Okay Gentlemen. The one above is the optional one and the one below is the OFFICIAL one :p

A newspaper reported about a batsman that he "sent a ball over the boundary fence. It struck half a brick, rebounded onto a fence post, poised there for an appreciable time, and ran along the top of the pailings the whole length of a panel of fencing before descending outside the boundary"

Who was the batsman and where and when did this happen ??

Sudeep

International Captain
SJS said:
Off the top of my head, Douglas Jardin?

Haven't really given the second one a thought.

BTW, for the Hobbs/Macaulay question, Yorkshire was a big giveaway...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sudeep said:
Off the top of my head, Douglas Jardin?
But as I said this is the easier one.... :D

Sudeep said:
BTW, for the Hobbs/Macaulay question, Yorkshire was a big giveaway...
Yes. But I thought withoout that it would be very tough to get. It could be anyone and Hobbs played over 30 years !!

Great work, nevertheless.

BTW, Macaulay said that when Yorkshire caught Surrey on what was a really treacherous wicket at Sheffield, he found Hobbs scoring 76 in 48 minutes !!. Macaullay made the remark when the Master was finally out.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I really enjoy the vision of Jardine standing on the deck of the boat with 15 shivering Englishmen on a winter night and telling them very curtly
"Right gentlemen, now we are off to Australia. We can have a wonderful trip and enjoy ourselves, or we can win the Ashes. I am determined we will win the Ashes. Good night. We will meet again tomorrow."

Its fascinating.

Sudeep

International Captain
SJS said:
I really enjoy the vision of Jardine standing on the deck of the boat with 15 shivering Englishmen on a winter night and telling them very curtly
"Right gentlemen, now we are off to Australia. We can have a wonderful trip and enjoy ourselves, or we can win the Ashes. I am determined we will win the Ashes. Good night. We will meet again tomorrow."

Its fascinating.
Full Name: Douglas Robert Jardine
Born: 23 October 1900, Malabar Hill, Bombay (now Mumbai), Maharashtra, India

Wow, didn't know he was born in Malabar Hill...

Sudeep

International Captain
SJS said:

Yes. But I thought withoout that it would be very tough to get. It could be anyone and Hobbs played over 30 years !!

BTW, Macaulay said that when Yorkshire caught Surrey on what was a really treacherous wicket at Sheffield, he found Hobbs scoring 76 in 48 minutes !!. Macaullay made the remark when the Master was finally out.
Macaulay's First-Class record is darn good...

Code:
                      M    I  NO  Runs   HS     Ave 100  50   Ct  St
Batting & Fielding  468  460 125  6055  125*  18.07   3  21  373   0

Balls    M     R    W    Ave   BBI    5  10    SR  Econ
Bowling             89877 4164 32441 1837  17.65  8-21  126  31  48.9  2.16

Sudeep

International Captain
SJS said:

I found two matches, either of which could've been the one you're talking about. I'm not really sure which one of it is the one Macaulay made the comment in...
http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_dat...NG_LOCAL/CC/YORKS_SURREY_CC_19-22JUN1920.html
http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_dat...NG_LOCAL/CC/YORKS_SURREY_CC_16-19JUN1923.html

biased indian

International Coach
SJS said:
A newspaper reported about a batsman that he "sent a ball over the boundary fence. It struck half a brick, rebounded onto a fence post, poised there for an appreciable time, and ran along the top of the pailings the whole length of a panel of fencing before descending outside the boundary"
Who was the batsman and where and when did this happen ??
Don Bradman Bowral 1921

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
biased indian said:
Muralitharan lost two world records during the India vs Australia test series name them and who broke them???
Most wickets and most balls bowled in test matches. Both to Shane Warne.

biased indian

International Coach
SJS said:
Most wickets and most balls bowled in test matches. Both to Shane Warne.
the first one is correct :cool:

as for the ball bowled i dont take them as a record still u r wrong on that count

warne has bowled--> 5388.2 ovrs and Murali -->5174.5 and u can find the no of overs warne bowled in my sign and i think he was ahead before the series started

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Since I know I am right, I am going to post the next one just to save time since I am leaving after this.

I have decided to pose questions (whenever its my turn) in which I can share something I would like to share with you guys so please bear with me.

Here is a beautiful piece of cricket writing.

My pitch was the --------. with a steel fender running along the off-side and the old ------ ------ at long leg. While play was in progress, I used to kneel on the rug; my right hand was the batsman and my left hand was the bowler. The bat was a school ruler, the ball was a small rubber one, valued at a penny, and the wicket was a propped up copy of Pilgrim's Progress.

To the best of my small ability I tried to match my method to the individual style of each player. For Oxford's polished batsman, R>E> Foster, I would try to be wristy and elegant ; for Jhonny Tyldesley I would execute the latest of late cuts ; while, as for those daring fierce pulls of George Hirst's, my poor dear Yorkshire step-mother went to heaven nearly thirty years later without knowing that it was a whole-hearted leg-hit by George Hirst that cracked the scullery window. I never told her. If I had, she would undoubtedly have said, "You wait till I talk to George Hirst's mother...."

I varied my bowling, too, with a nice sense of contrast and character. This was necessary, because sometimes I was Hugh Trumble and sometimes BJT Bosanquet, whom my step-uncle walter caled Bozzikew. I had not the faintest idea of what a googly was, except that it was vastly peculiar, and I tried to stimulate it with a high bouncing delivery which the batsmen found difficult to time. I was, as I have always been, the slave of my own rules, and strove, within the limits of patriotism, to be scupulously fair to both sides; that is, I would try to bat just as well for Trumper as for Hayward and Tyldesley and bowl as well for the Australian bowlers as for the English...well all except Rhodes. It was impossible to keep Rhodes down to an ordinary level of excellence. The man who in the second test at Melbourne took 15 for 124 could not be judged by ordinary standards. I did not know then what a 'sticky' wicket might be, except that it was something terrible, and I pictured, not unjustly, a state of afairs in which the batsman's feet were glued to the ground and his freedom of movement horribly hampered. Morally, I was right, though it was difficult on an honest -------- to reproduce the horrors of a Melbourne 'sticky dog'.

No wonder I cheated a bit on Rhode's behalf by not quite letting my right hand know what my left was doing.

UNQUOTE

Who is the writer and where did he play this cricket in his childhood that he is reminiscing about ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
biased indian said:

as for the ball bowled i dont take them as a record still u r wrong on that count

warne has bowled--> 5388.2 ovrs and Murali -->5174.5 and u can find the no of overs warne bowled in my sign and i think he was ahead before the series started
:oops:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
biased indian said:

Number of batsmen caught of his bowling. Murali had 261 and Shane warne after this series has 262. ??

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Number of batsmen caught of his bowling. Murali had 261 and Shane warne after this series has 262. ??
I think it's only number of batsmen caught in the field !! (because SKW has 242 caught in the field ahead of Murali 239 ) but Walsh with 349 has the most wickets caught overall (including caught at wicket and caught and bowled along with the catches in the field) ahead of Warne on 321 .

SJS said:
Who is the writer and where did he play this cricket in his childhood that he is reminiscing about ?
Is it Sir Neville Cardus reminiscing about his childhood in his grandfathers house ?