• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
bryce said:
Warne has the most runs in Tests without scoring a century and Akram has the most runs in ODI's without scoring a century.
That was a very smart question :notworthy

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Question -

What is Michael Angelow's claim to Fame ? (Now I know it sounds similar to Michelangelo - the famed one :laugh: but this fella is definitely not in that elite company !! :D )
First streaker in cricket. The one whose photograph (jumping over the stumps) you must have all seen.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
First streaker in cricket. The one whose photograph (jumping over the stumps) you must have all seen.
The One That Jumped The Stumps

Michael Angelow was possibly the first and most famous in a long tradition of streaking at the cricket. Having consumed a few "cans of Australian lager", Angelow raced onto the field at Lords and athletically hurdled the stumps before being embraced by the local constabulary. A shocked commentator said "Well I've seen nothing like this at Lords before." Australian cricketer Alan Turner is said to have roared with laughter. The crowd loved it.

Angelow said later he waited until the end of Lillee's over because "he loves the game and didn't want to disrupt it." The magistrate looked upon the incident lightly and fined him only £10 - the exact amount bet against him by his mates. Upon hearing this, his friends stood in the courtroom and applauded, cheerfully paying his fine.

Australian cricket captain Greg Chappell, never a fan of the fad, blamed Angelow for the increasing interruptions by streakers at the cricket. "There was a bloke who jumped the stumps..." he said in 1996, "and all of a sudden it became a fashion. And then everyone realised if you didn't give them any publicity they wouldn't do it. It died a natural death after that."

Not completely.

Courtesy : The Streaker Hall of Fame
http://www.streakerama.com/halloffame.htm#The One That Jumped The Stumps

Attachments

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
SJS said:
Having consumed a few "cans of Australian lager", Angelow raced onto the field at Lords and athletically hurdled the stumps before being embraced by the local constabulary.
Who promptly sent him off for psychiatric testing as he must have a screw loose to drink that stuff!

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
This incident of Greg Chappell and the steaker is a classic!!(from the streakarama web site )

The One Where Chappell Grabbed Him

Greg Chappell was not known to stand back and let a streaker get away with it. On several occasions he chased a runner and made a "citizen's arrest" until the authorities arrived. One of the first occasions was in Christchurch, where he tackled a naked man who was attempting to get over the fence, then "smacked him an admonishing blow on the bottom. The streaker turned and grabbed Chappell's cap. Chappell set out after him again..." :laugh:

"I took his hand and didn't let go," he said. "When he realised the police were coming he tried to get away so I gave him a whack or two to quieten him down." :laugh:

During a tense game, also in New Zealand, Chappell was batting when a student, wearing only headphones, ran towards the stumps. "I didn't know if he was going to try and souvenir a bail or some stumps," he told the documentary Streakers. "I put my hand out to shake hands with him, which he accepted. I had my bat in my left hand and gave him a couple of sharp cracks across the buttocks just to try and get him to stand still. :laugh: Finally the police got there and took him away." Distracted by the roar of the crowd, Chappell was run out the next ball.

The streaker went on to charge Chappell with assault. "I think what he did to me was worse than what I did to him." He did, however, maintain that the crowd enjoyed the spectacle.

In another incident, Chappell grabbed a trouser-less man by the hair, and hung on for several minutes, marching him to the fence to be arrested. Eventually, players were cautioned to leave the nude invaders to the police. Legal advisers warned that streakers could sue for damages if they were injured.

- The Telegraph, 31 January, 1977, The Sun, 21 December, 1979, The Sun, 31 December, 1979, Streakers

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
A shocked commentator said "Well I've seen nothing like this at Lords before."
One of the streaking incidents in the seventies lead to this response from the TMS

Arlott : Here's something old ladies haven't seen for quite some years.

Bailey : And not too well endowed either, I'm afraid.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tapioca said:
Sutcliffe about Hobbs ?

'The Master' was Hobb's nickname
Sutcliffe was a partner. This was a bowler's commment. Yopu are right about Hobbs though. I should have realised that The Master will give it away :@

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
I have no idea but will try to work it out. The nickname was given by Douglas Jardine. So this statement was made by someone who was active in the late 1920s - too late for Mailey and too early for O'Reilly and there are no other Aussie bowlers of the time worth mentioning (Grimmett would probably not make such statements)

Was it Larwood by any chance ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
No.

Its not an easy one really. Okay here's a big hint , it was a Yorkshire bowler.

Sudeep

International Captain
SJS said:
Well done . :thumbup:
How did you get that ?
Required some 10-15 minutes of research :p

Well, next question coming up in half an hour because dinner's almost ready...

Sudeep

International Captain
Actually what I'm gonna do is pass the opportunity of asking a question, as I'm not too sure for being online later tonight or tomorrow.

Anyone having a more difficult question than the one I answered can go ahead. :p

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Okay till Sudeep has his dinner, here is an easy quickie. Who ever answers does not become the guru however.

Who colected all his players on the day the boat left for Australia and said, "Right gentlemen, now we are off to Australia. We can have a wonderful trip and enjoy ourselves, or we can win the Ashes. I am determined we will win the Ashes. Good night. We will meet again tomorrow."

Last edited: